5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheftPatrolPlus GPS Tracker Removal - Junk installed by Dealer

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Talked to my salesman today about the tracking device and he told me they are put on in the factory to track the trucks during shipping. I told I didn't want it on my truck when I take delivery and he said they take them off during predelivery inspection. I also asked about checking fluids (rear differential) and said all that is part of their inspection.

With that said I will be checking for both when I pick-up truck.

He also showed me the detailed sheet showing where the truck is, and it showed estimated delivery to dealer between 1/25 and 3/2.
I cannot state about the factory putting them on as most already come with UConnect for tracking purposes but do know we have seven dealers in the Houston area that installs them during the PDI process:

All Ken Garff dealerships (Clear Lake CJDR, Northwest CJDR, Texan CJDR, and dozens more in the western US), Southfork CJDR, and the three Autonation CJDR dealers.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cannot state about the factory putting them on as most already come with UConnect for tracking purposes but do know we have seven dealers in the Houston area that installs them during the PDI process:

All Ken Garff dealerships (Clear Lake CJDR, Northwest CJDR, Texan CJDR, and dozens more in the western US), Southfork CJDR, and the three Autonation CJDR dealers.
Tomball CDJR does as well.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Do they actually put them on, or do they just not remove them?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, typically FCA does not install them at the factory as RAM installs UConnect which has its own tracking feature.

TheftPatrol is an aftermarket that is installed by the dealers with a hefty markup.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those who want to read the Terms of Service from TheftPatrol, you'll notice they accept almost no liability, yet they have full access to all data transmitted from your Ram to their center (per Article 1 of the Terms of Service) which is now in Irvine, California at 17361 Armstrong Ave. The address is registered to a company called ProCon Analytics.

Also, in the second link below, is an article from Advantage GPS which is a subsidiary of Procon Analytics, as of 2019 now has a battery-operated unit called "Revo" which they can tuck almost anywhere in a vehicle and it's unlikely the new owner would find it. I'm not entirely certain how it connects to a vehicle in order to acquire the data but it indicates the unit can be tailored to the term of your loan so lenders can have access to your vehicle...

Attachments

• Theft Patrol Terms of Service.pdf
    204 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
For those who want to read the Terms of Service from TheftPatrol, you'll notice they accept almost no liability, yet they have full access to all data transmitted from your Ram to their center (per Article 1 of the Terms of Service) which is now in Irvine, California at 17361 Armstrong Ave. The address is registered to a company called ProCon Analytics.

Also, in the second link below, is an article from Advantage GPS which is a subsidiary of Procon Analytics, as of 2019 now has a battery-operated unit called "Revo" which they can tuck almost anywhere in a vehicle and it's unlikely the new owner would find it. I'm not entirely certain how it connects to a vehicle in order to acquire the data but it indicates the unit can be tailored to the term of your loan so lenders can have access to your vehicle...

how long do you believe it takes to install something like this?
when my truck arrived, I saw it withing two hours and drove it home withing 5 hours.
that includes the time they took it to put gas in it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how long do you believe it takes to install something like this?
when my truck arrived, I saw it withing two hours and drove it home withing 5 hours.
that includes the time they took it to put gas in it.
I know for a fact Northwest Chrysler here in Houston installed my daughters in less than ten minutes. They did it when I was executing paperwork. Keep in mind that all they need to do is pull up the kick panel by your left foot, piggyback the unit into your OBD connection from the back side (unplug, reconnect it all back together and done), tuck the main behind the kick panel when reinstalling the kick panel. Less than 10 minutes and I'd bet most of these guys do it in less than five.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I know for a fact Northwest Chrysler here in Houston installed my daughters in less than ten minutes. They did it when I was executing paperwork. Keep in mind that all they need to do is pull up the kick panel by your left foot, piggyback the unit into your OBD connection from the back side (unplug, reconnect it all back together and done), tuck the main behind the kick panel when reinstalling the kick panel. Less than 10 minutes and I'd bet most of these guys do it in less than five.
do they have to tell you about this being installed?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
do they have to tell you about this being installed?
They didn't tell me. I told them up front I didn't want their TheftPatrol as the truck already has UConnect which can track the truck - why pay twice for a similar service. Well, they told me it was already installed but would not be activated. I received an email from TheftPatrol welcoming me to their system after I drove away from the dealer. And yes, I uninstalled it once home but it is a joke the way they do it.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
They didn't tell me. I told them up front I didn't want their TheftPatrol as the truck already has UConnect which can track the truck - why pay twice for a similar service. Well, they told me it was already installed but would not be activated. I received an email from TheftPatrol welcoming me to their system after I drove away from the dealer. And yes, I uninstalled it once home but it is a joke the way they do it.
I never got anything from anyone about anything being installed or turned on.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never got anything from anyone about anything being installed or turned on.
It appears they didn't notify these Ram owners either:

ZogBot

Reaction score
I was not a happy camper yesterday when I was getting ready to depart the dealer with my shiny new 2021 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. The salesperson at the last moment told me they threw in a TheftPatrol GPS tracking system (https://theftpatrolplus.com/en/home/). I told them from the start that I didn't want it, would not pay for it and already have UConnect to track my truck by my iPhone. Well, they already had it installed based upon the sticker on the door jamb and then after getting home I received an email from TheftPatrolPlus with a link to activate the system.

A simple Googlemaps of the location of TheftPatrolPlus in the Los Angeles area (2641 Strozier Avenue El Monte, CA 91733) gives a view of the building...I wouldn't trust any of my data being stored there or even in the cloud with access from that unsecure location!

This morning, after the weather and I had cooled down, I decided to find that thing and remove it. You can't find anything online to explain how to remove it and I understand there are a number of FCA dealers who install this crap. So here goes:

First, I removed the drivers sign kick panel and could see where they jumpered into the OBD connection. I followed the wire connected to the jumper and found the warm to the touch module sitting behind the drivers side door sill plate just to the left of where your left foot sits. (See pics). I removed it, plugged the OBD back into the slot on the kick panel and life was good. I reassembled everything and no more GPS tracking device other than the one from FCA UConnect. Amazing how FCA can deny a warranty claim for something we install on a truck yet dealers can get away installing this junk with impunity. And the best part, they threw it in for "free" because it was already installed, gave me one free year of service and then informed me it is $700 a year to renew! They even informed me I would get a huge insurance discount so I went to USAA on my iPhone and showed them my annual discount for having the system (which UConnect already provides) is a whopping $69 per year...some savings over what one has to pay for their crap.
Your device looks exactly like the one that was shoehorned into a truck sold by Russell Westbrook Alfa Maserati Van Nuys.

The unit looks identical but it is sold under the name "Elo GPS", but the unit is identical with the same logo.
Ironically the same Russell Westbrook group owns a Chrysler Dodge Jeep a few blocks away and over their they market it as Theft Patrol or actually:

"
All Pricing and Advertised Prices for any/all vehicles offered for sale do not include dealer installed accessories which can be purchased for an additional cost. Dealer Installed items include Theft Petrol $1,495, Xzilon $1495, JM&A ETCH $995 , and Nitrogen Tire Fill $495."

they call it "Theft Patrol".

Very sinisterly, this paragraph can only be read if one were to scroll all the way down on any car listing and go ALL THE WAY to the end, even passed "other vehicles you may like" (which would be the logical place to stop looking for disclosures on the vehicle they were interested in) to actually read that this crap is forcefully rammmed down every potential clients throat.

Enjoy this video of someone actually exposing these scumbags:

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Your device looks exactly like the one that was shoehorned into a truck sold by Russell Westbrook Alfa Maserati Van Nuys.

The unit looks identical but it is sold under the name "Elo GPS", but the unit is identical with the same logo.
Ironically the same Russell Westbrook group owns a Chrysler Dodge Jeep a few blocks away and over their they market it as Theft Patrol or actually:

"
All Pricing and Advertised Prices for any/all vehicles offered for sale do not include dealer installed accessories which can be purchased for an additional cost. Dealer Installed items include Theft Petrol $1,495, Xzilon $1495, JM&A ETCH $995 , and Nitrogen Tire Fill $495."

they call it "Theft Patrol".

Very sinisterly, this paragraph can only be read if one were to scroll all the way down on any car listing and go ALL THE WAY to the end, even passed "other vehicles you may like" (which would be the logical place to stop looking for disclosures on the vehicle they were interested in) to actually read that this crap is forcefully rammmed down every potential clients throat.

Enjoy this video of someone actually exposing these scumbags:

can not get video to play

Last edited:

ZogBot

Reaction score
so this took place on Feb 4th 2022
did he get his money back as promised?

why didn't he say so?
I believe he did get the money back. The check hadnt cleared when this video was made.

Please understand the refund wasn't issued because of their commitment to customer service but because of the potential economic impact even a few potential customers seeing the flyer could make.

ZogBot

Reaction score
I
I believe he did get the money back. The check hadnt cleared when this video was made.

Please understand the refund wasn't issued because of their commitment to customer service but because of the potential economic impact even a few potential customers seeing the flyer could make.
went to install my new Tazer DT today...and guess what I found under there.
It was very well installed and tucked away neatly.
To the recycle bin.... and Beyond
View attachment 109759 Here's the unit removed from my vehicle it was marketed as "Elo GPS" but has the same logo as the one you pictured. Ironically Russell Westbrook Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram a few blocks away markets these units as "Theft Patrol" same ****e different pile.

Attachments

• 44C3718C-1BC2-437E-B7D0-E297C91C7F7B.jpeg
    44C3718C-1BC2-437E-B7D0-E297C91C7F7B.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 74F3F4F3-2E8E-4155-982F-3791D345E536.jpeg
    74F3F4F3-2E8E-4155-982F-3791D345E536.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 8C8F79C6-B1E1-437E-9BD0-AF4B94AE6629.jpeg
    8C8F79C6-B1E1-437E-9BD0-AF4B94AE6629.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 47
  • 48EA6704-2EB6-46F1-BEFB-73E17AF7FCCE.jpeg
    48EA6704-2EB6-46F1-BEFB-73E17AF7FCCE.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 46

ZogBot

Reaction score
Here's the unit removed from my vehicle it was marketed as "Elo GPS" but has the same logo as the one you pictured. Ironically Russell Westbrook Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram a few blocks away markets these units as "Theft Patrol" same ****e different pile.

Attachments

• 9718D3CB-6674-4F60-878C-9E92F3DEDC94.jpeg
    9718D3CB-6674-4F60-878C-9E92F3DEDC94.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 1BC2652F-7832-4A1B-AC8E-3F0223419A4C.jpeg
    1BC2652F-7832-4A1B-AC8E-3F0223419A4C.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 28
  • F5D9E864-6A43-4DCE-AC84-27B5AAE797D5.jpeg
    F5D9E864-6A43-4DCE-AC84-27B5AAE797D5.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 28

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Funny thing ,
I keep getting a request regarding ELO activation. Just went out to truck and sure enough it’s there. Since it’s night I will remove in the morning. Damn it’s been on there for the year I owned my truck. Didn’t see it on any of my paperwork.
WTF

Users who are viewing this thread