5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheftPatrolPlus GPS Tracker Removal - Junk installed by Dealer

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was not a happy camper yesterday when I was getting ready to depart the dealer with my shiny new 2021 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. The salesperson at the last moment told me they threw in a TheftPatrol GPS tracking system (https://theftpatrolplus.com/en/home/). I told them from the start that I didn't want it, would not pay for it and already have UConnect to track my truck by my iPhone. Well, they already had it installed based upon the sticker on the door jamb and then after getting home I received an email from TheftPatrolPlus with a link to activate the system.

A simple Googlemaps of the location of TheftPatrolPlus in the Los Angeles area (2641 Strozier Avenue El Monte, CA 91733) gives a view of the building...I wouldn't trust any of my data being stored there or even in the cloud with access from that unsecure location!

This morning, after the weather and I had cooled down, I decided to find that thing and remove it. You can't find anything online to explain how to remove it and I understand there are a number of FCA dealers who install this crap. So here goes:

First, I removed the drivers sign kick panel and could see where they jumpered into the OBD connection. I followed the wire connected to the jumper and found the warm to the touch module sitting behind the drivers side door sill plate just to the left of where your left foot sits. (See pics). I removed it, plugged the OBD back into the slot on the kick panel and life was good. I reassembled everything and no more GPS tracking device other than the one from FCA UConnect. Amazing how FCA can deny a warranty claim for something we install on a truck yet dealers can get away installing this junk with impunity. And the best part, they threw it in for "free" because it was already installed, gave me one free year of service and then informed me it is $700 a year to renew! They even informed me I would get a huge insurance discount so I went to USAA on my iPhone and showed them my annual discount for having the system (which UConnect already provides) is a whopping $69 per year...some savings over what one has to pay for their crap.

Attachments

• TheftPatrolRemoval1.jpg
    TheftPatrolRemoval1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 404
  • TheftPatrolRemoval 2 (2).jpg
    TheftPatrolRemoval 2 (2).jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 393
  • TheftPatrolRemoval3 (2).jpg
    TheftPatrolRemoval3 (2).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 387
  • TheftPatrolRemoval4 (2).jpg
    TheftPatrolRemoval4 (2).jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 390
  • TheftPatrolRemoval5 (2).jpg
    TheftPatrolRemoval5 (2).jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI...I just noticed the TheftPatrolPlus GPS unit continues to flash a small red led light on the unit as it is sitting here on my desk - unplugged from the truck. There is an access cover on the unit with a screw which I removed and could see a SIM chip. I removed the SIM chip but it continues to flash every twenty seconds. I dropped it into my Faraday box and will leave it there for a few days for the internal battery to finally die.

P.S. I realize some of the "you buy here you pay here" small dealers install these so they can track the vehicle if the buyers fail to make their contractual payments to them but in this case it's simply another opportunity for the FCA dealers to make money on crap that is already provided by UConnect.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not just CJDR dealers, LOTS of dealers install these. I've found them in Honda, Dodge, Fords, Nissan, and VW vehicles....all from major dealerships. They are really meant for inventory tracking but some dealers use it as a secondary income stream by scamming people to pay $500-$1000 for a device that cost them ~$20.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI...I just noticed the TheftPatrolPlus GPS unit continues to flash a small red led light on the unit as it is sitting here on my desk - unplugged from the truck. There is an access cover on the unit with a screw which I removed and could see a SIM chip. I removed the SIM chip but it continues to flash every twenty seconds. I dropped it into my Faraday box and will leave it there for a few days for the internal battery to finally die.

P.S. I realize some of the "you buy here you pay here" small dealers install these so they can track the vehicle if the buyers fail to make their contractual payments to them but in this case it's simply another opportunity for the FCA dealers to make money on crap that is already provided by UConnect.

Put it on a stray dog

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Don't toss that!

Not all of it, anyway. The OBD plug can be used to make a battery memory saver. You have B+ and a good ground there. Attach some leads and some clips to connect it to a battery and you can remove your battery for replacement or to work on something without resetting everything. Just don't touch the positive battery cable to ground while it's disconnected.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't toss that!

Not all of it, anyway. The OBD plug can be used to make a battery memory saver. You have B+ and a good ground there. Attach some leads and some clips to connect it to a battery and you can remove your battery for replacement or to work on something without resetting everything. Just don't touch the positive battery cable to ground while it's disconnected.
Great idea!!!! Thanks for the tip!

U

User_3336

RAM dealers around here install these. they're already installed and they will NOT take them out. They just have it added into your purchase price discretely (and hidden discretely).

Its fairly easy to remove. It plugs into the OBD2 port, and has a dongle so your port is still free. It was well hidden

ALARM.jpg

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I wonder what the sales guy would say if you looked him in the eye and said:

I will need to observe this being removed from the vehicle prior to taking delivery. The nature of my profession takes me to secure undisclosed locations and this could be a security risk. I will need your name, the managers name and the tech doing the removal for my report as well as my visual confirmation. If any provided information proves to be false, it will be considered an act in violation of national security and handled through NSA channels.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you know if this was installed?
A sticker on the door jamb, the same sticker was applied to the Texas emissions certificate (for some unknown reason), the salesperson told me it was already installed and then I got an email on the way home from TheftPatrolPlus asking me to download their app and set up my new 2021 Ram 1500. If all of that would have been bear scat, I would have been eaten alive when I was walking in the woods.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if the dealer doesn't put the sticker on the only way you know is by recieving an email to activate! I sure hope Mark Dodge doesn’t pull this. I will not take delivery if its installed!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if the dealer doesn't put the sticker on the only way you know is by recieving an email to activate! I sure hope Mark Dodge doesn’t pull this. I will not take delivery if its installed!
If you ordered a new truck with the 8.4 with Nav or the 12” UConnect, then you already have a tracker just like I do with my 8.4 with Nav. I’m just not going to have a second one riding along with me by some company in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. Plus, Uconnect is only $199 a year after the first year versus $700 with Brand X.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And the best part, they threw it in for "free" because it was already installed
Does anyone know if this is installed at the factory? Or does the dealer add this upon arrival?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is installed at the factory? Or does the dealer add this upon arrival?
I know for a fact it was installed at my dealer..they admitted it. The guy who does the IM testing at the dealership when the vehicle is received from the factory also installed the GPS module.

U

User_3336

If you ordered a new truck with the 8.4 with Nav or the 12” UConnect, then you already have a tracker just like I do with my 8.4 with Nav. I’m just not going to have a second one riding along with me by some company in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. Plus, Uconnect is only $199 a year after the first year versus $700 with Brand X.
Uconnect 4C as well (without NAV but with connected services). Has ANYONE renewed Sirius Guardian after the year trial?

RAMVW

Reaction score
I bought a used one year old Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT several years ago. Every time I would start it I would get a message about something being wrong with the headlights. Turns out it had a Mopar EVTS installed and it was defective. It took 7 trips to to 2 different dealers plus Jeep Cares getting involved to find the problem. About drove everyone involved nuts. The dealer that found it disconnected it but left it in the Jeep. No more messages. I removed it and threw it in the garbage. As GregHBNA above said it was pretty well hidden.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How do you know if this was installed?
Another way you can tell is sometimes it will show up on a CarFax. My last Ram purchased from a sister store of the Ecodiesel I just purchased, actually had it listed on the CarFax. I never did find the GPS/Navigation system nor were the wheel locks installed. It's a damned shame when you have to pull a CarFax on a new vehicle just to see what they've done to/with your new vehicle - I paid for none of it as I told them I'd walk before I'd entertain paying a dime for that list of crap..

2020 Ram 1500 (traded in for my new 2021)
  • Vehicle serviced
    • Pre-delivery inspection completed
    • Window tint installed
    • Fluids checked
    • Wheel locks installed
    • GPS/navigation system installed
    • Nitrogen fill tires
I also paid to get a CarFax for my new 2021 and you can see below where they installed it:
  • Vehicle serviced
    • Pre-delivery inspection completed
    • Window tint installed
    • Vehicle washed/detailed
    • Nitrogen fill tires
    • Accessories installed
    • Safety inspection performed
    • GPS/navigation system installed
    • Emissions or safety inspection performed

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/