5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheftPatrolPlus GPS Tracker Removal - Junk installed by Dealer

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Its just a GPS, no internet connectivity. Doesn't work that way.
That doesn’t make sense though. It needs a GPS to locate position, plus a cellular device to send that data to the mother ship for tracking purposes. Right?

Last edited:
U

User_3336

That doesn’t make sense though. It needs a GPS to locate position, plus a cellular device to send that data to the mother ship doesn’t tracking purposes. Right?
Perhaps, but you would NOT be able to just take the SIM card out, repurpose it, and use it in a hotspot as you proposed earlier.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t want to even if I could as I just want to get as far away as possible from a seedy looking big brother outfit. And I don’t want the dealer or big brother selling my data to make a penny. It is ironic that as soon as I disconnected it, the emails to sign in to the service ceased.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps, but you would NOT be able to just take the SIM card out, repurpose it, and use it in a hotspot as you proposed earlier.
Well, I didn’t propose it, I’m just following the conversation. But I am curious…would be a nice way to turn the tables. But even if you could do it, they’d probably catch on to the data usage and disable it. Then press charges.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: I contacted the General Manager (went above the Sales Manager and Sales Person who told me no refunds) via email last week and explained their $995 non-negotiable GPS tracking system was not worth the paper it is written upon. I explained I wanted to return the system as I uninstalled it and wanted a refund for the service as I won’t be using it. I also explained if they didn’t issue a refund, that it would be reflected on the FCA new car survey I will be receiving.

He promptly sent me an email agreeing to refund the $995 to my credit union loan and the check was sent to my credit union that day. He was kind enough to email me a copy of the check and I’ll honor my agreement to provide high marks on the survey.

Moral to this event: The FCA new car survey carries a ton of weight. Fewer new cars available means fewer new cars sold as compared to two years ago this the surveys are fewer as well. Those are are submitted carry a lot more weight now as one bad FCA survey has a higher impact on their customer satisfaction rating. Use it to your advantage.

Last edited:

JimD007

Reaction score
I never got that survey, don't know why. But the finance manager pushed hard for me to pay $500 for one of those GPS devices. Said it would help on insurance. I was arranging insurance by phone at the same time as talking to him so I asked them. State Farm said they would not provide any discount at all. So I declined. I don't know if they took it out but I never got solicited to start the service.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never got that survey, don't know why. But the finance manager pushed hard for me to pay $500 for one of those GPS devices. Said it would help on insurance. I was arranging insurance by phone at the same time as talking to him so I asked them. State Farm said they would not provide any discount at all. So I declined. I don't know if they took it out but I never got solicited to start the service.
Easy enough to determine if it is still installed...check the line coming into the back of your OBD connector...follow it for about six inches...if it T's off from there then you might pull the left kick panel by your left foot and see what's hiding behind there for you.

U

User_3336

This is the one I had in my truck. Its since been taken out completely. The dealer DID register this device to my truck. Out of curiosity, I completed the customer registration. It does show the drives and routes the truck took before I took it out (even before I registered it). Its in a drawer in the house. Dealer already knows my home address so nothing new. The thing must have some battery backup because its not connected to the truck's OBD2 port. I didn't pay for it, so must be used for dealer inventory and tracking initially, then if the vehicle is sold, they push it off on the customer to recoupe the cost. I don't plan on using it, as I already have the Sirius Guardian tracking me! LOL

evtsmodule.jpg

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the one I had in my truck. Its since been taken out completely. The dealer DID register this device to my truck. Out of curiosity, I completed the customer registration. It does show the drives and routes the truck took before I took it out (even before I registered it). Its in a drawer in the house. Dealer already knows my home address so nothing new. The thing must have some battery backup because its not connected to the truck's OBD2 port. I didn't pay for it, so must be used for dealer inventory and tracking initially, then if the vehicle is sold, they push it off on the customer to recoupe the cost. I don't plan on using it, as I already have the Sirius Guardian tracking me! LOL

View attachment 103335
Funny you mention Sirius Guardian as that was exactly what I told the dealer. In fact, I'm surprised FCA even lets them install/sell another branded GPS tracker other than MOPAR or SIRIUS Guardian as it would be competing against their subscriptions. The module you removed is the MOPAR EVTS system which is one of the best but is also pricey on an annual renewal basis...and again, you've got Guardian so why would anyone need two systems.

U

User_3336

Funny you mention Sirius Guardian as that was exactly what I told the dealer. In fact, I'm surprised FCA even lets them install/sell another branded GPS tracker other than MOPAR or SIRIUS Guardian as it would be competing against their subscriptions. The module you removed is the MOPAR EVTS system which is one of the best but is also pricey on an annual renewal basis...and again, you've got Guardian so why would anyone need two systems.
How could FCA dictate what "accessories" were installed on a vehicle????? Are you saying that FCA gets a cut out of Sirius Guardian renewals?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How could FCA dictate what "accessories" were installed on a vehicle????? Are you saying that FCA gets a cut out of Sirius Guardian renewals?
You bet FCA derives value from every Guardian renewal either in the form of direct compensation or leverage when contracting with Guardian for the initial service when purchased. They’d be fools to overlook that value…

As for the systems, a dealer gets a new Ram from the factory with Sirius Guardian installed. If someone wants another GPS system installed, I’m surprised FCA wouldn’t mandate the dealer has to install their Mopar EVTS system if a second system has to be installed as it would be money in FCA’s pocket instead of a 3rd party…then again, some of these dealers sell crappy 3rd party extended warranties before they’ll sell a MOPAR Extended Warranty.

U

User_3336

View attachment 103335

UPDATE! After I installed the APP, GUIDEPOINT SYSTEMS, who manages the Mopar EVTS, my account went to a "basic" account which basically does nothing. It was on the "GOLD" plan while the dealer had it which goes to show it was used for tracking purposes (because the basic plan does NOT include that). They wanted $199 from me to use the same functions. I told the lady I'd go smash the evermore F**K out of it before that happened. Its in a gazillion pieces now. Does have a backup battery and a sim card in it!

It will NEVER track anything else, period! LOL

U

User_3336

The grim remains after me hammering the f**k out of it! LOL Its not tracking now!

I did keep the wiring harness. That might come in handy with the OBD2 bypass connectors!

evtsremains.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yangster

Reaction score
So if the dealer doesn't put the sticker on the only way you know is by recieving an email to activate! I sure hope Mark Dodge doesn’t pull this. I will not take delivery if its installed!
Not on my Mark Dodge Ram Longhorn (picked up 4/1/2021).

BNeal

Reaction score

View attachment 103335
Is this on located under the dash as well?

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not on my Mark Dodge Ram Longhorn (picked up 4/1/2021).
It doesn't seem like something Mark Dodge has time to do as fast as vehicles come in and fly out. Good lord, they'd probably need 5 people that just did tracker installs all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online