5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wait is over! Best in class torque!

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Called my local dealership.. You can order a 2020 as of now but just with the hemi engine... Salesman said all he knows is late availability. He also said until the government approves the engine, it won’t be able to order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pricing released..

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I pointed out in the article comments, those numbers don't add up. Since when is the Hemi with eTorque $300 cheaper than the Hemi without it?

$3,000 can buy a lot of gas. At $2.50/gallon, that comes out to about 1,200 gallons. That's over 36 tanks on a 33 gallon equipped truck.

It will be interesting to see what kind of MPG numbers the EcoDiesel can do.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My biggest concern with start/stop is allowing the turbo to spin down. If the eTorque application also can electrically boost the turbo, that would alleviate that concern.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I do not think the e-Torque system would be neat as advantageous on a engine that makes such high torque at low RPM as th EcoDiesel does...

That is true. Diesel engines are much more efficient at idle. However, less advantageous is not the same as not advantageous. A big part is running components more efficiently on 48v electric power vs. 12v electric or engine-speed dependent belt-driven system with at best primitive on/off disengagement.

My biggest concern with start/stop is allowing the turbo to spin down. If the eTorque application also can electrically boost the turbo, that would alleviate that concern.

The 48-volt mild hybrid is supposed to have an electric supercharger for that purpose. Not all do. F1 cars have them. The MB 400hp AMG C/E 53 models have them, but the more pedestrian 380hp does not. Other diesels engines have it.: https://mercedesblog.com/306-hp-mercedes-c-300-de-mixes-hybrid-and-diesel-advantages/

48%20Volt%20Mild%20Hybird%202016v%20no%20__Medium%20JPG_25102.jpg

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
F1 cars use convention turbos but have electric motor assist for another 160hp or so

DavidNJ

Reaction score
F1 cars use convention turbos but have electric motor assist for another 160hp or so

The video is set to start at the function of the MGU-H, but the whole video is worth watching.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...and if the new EcoDiesel doesn't have this, it's all academic. I hated Stop/Start on my bi-turbo V6 Mercedes. The turbo lag on restarts suuuucked.

Now that FCA sold off Magneti Marelli, who knows if we'll see this in a Ram.

Doc

Reaction score
I don’t know about anybody else but all I’m worried about is if I should get a White one or a Silver one!!?

I am interested in the night/ dark trim.... if not than the max steel and black.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Now that the information from last week's press event is no longer being withheld, the EPA numbers on the new EcoDiesel won't be available until Q4 when the trucks are sold.:oops:

E.Hands

Reaction score
That's weak. But I hope FCA can beat GM's 33 MPG although that's a tall order considering the 3.0 liter's 260/480 numbers(best in class torque).

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was a little surprised to hear that GM MPG drops from 33 (2WD) to 29 (4WD). There's also the 10-speed vs. 8-speed difference. Does Ram go for a higher MPG number with a lower rear axle ratio, and then anybody that wants the towing capability will never see those numbers?

So much drama. :eek:

jaybob

Reaction score
I was a little surprised to hear that GM MPG drops from 33 (2WD) to 29 (4WD). There's also the 10-speed vs. 8-speed difference. Does Ram go for a higher MPG number with a lower rear axle ratio, and then anybody that wants the towing capability will never see those numbers?

So much drama. :eek:
There was a little nugget in the Jalopnik article that alludes to the Ram (in at least one trim) being able to get 33 mpg. Apparently Ram was telling the journalists that you could take an EcoDiesel Ram from Duluth, MN to Dallas, TX on a single tank of fuel. 1,085 miles/33 gallons is approx 33 mpg. So matching or beating the duramax ratings is still on the table...

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see the official EPA mpg and if it can match it in real world driving.

I'm clearly not coming remotely close to the EPA mpg in my almost completely loaded truck, so if the 3.0 is able to get in the ballpark of whatever the official rating is, that could be huge in my use case. If it comes out with a realistically achievable combined rating of, say, 24 mpg in 4x4 guise, I'd be very happy with that!

Doc

Reaction score
I think by the end of September. Do you know what you are going to order? If so tell me about it!

Users who are viewing this thread