5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wait is over! Best in class torque!

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To see if it will still be available late this year? What kind of information are you looking for?

Waiting List?.. Do they even know about it themselves yet?.. Pre Orders?.. etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triton63

Reaction score
About a month ago I talked with a salesman and he had no idea they were even going to put the ED motor in the new trucks. He didn't seem to be the brightest bulb though

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went over to mine this past week.. They were aware, but said they don’t know until it pops up in their computer at any given moment. They don’t even get a notification from RAM. Just shows up and it’s like.. “oh ok”

Triton63

Reaction score
huh, seems like they would need some sort of briefing for information if they are going to be selling a "new" product but they did mention that they had no idea they were getting a jeep gladiator on delivery until it pulled in on a car hauler.

1Zach1

Reaction score
I hadn’t seen the information posted yet. According to this video with FCA they are looking at the 4th Quarter for release, still no mileage or pricing information.

saxapl

Reaction score
Who is glad they waited?

Who wishes they waited?

I was going to wait. My truck is meant to do two things...drive on long hunting trips where extra mileage would be good and idle for long periods of time with HVAC running for the dog, which is another diesel forte.

But then FCA decided I needed a truck now. They must have sat around and figured that by offering $17k off sticker on a gas truck they would get me to buy early.

They were right.

At least with that deal, an early trade to a diesel is a possibility if desired.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to wait. My truck is meant to do two things...drive on long hunting trips where extra mileage would be good and idle for long periods of time with HVAC running for the dog, which is another diesel forte.

But then FCA decided I needed a truck now. They must have sat around and figured that by offering $17k off sticker on a gas truck they would get me to buy early.

They were right.

At least with that deal, an early trade to a diesel is a possibility if desired.
right about that Ive seen 20k off a longhorn . it was tempting but still going to wait.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same. I thought I was going to wait but the incentives were just too good in June. Also, I wasn’t ready to go from 475hp in my SRT to 260.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not about HP it's the torque

The torque in the ED is 420 vs the 410 in the Hemi, you won't notice that difference. However the Hemi also has 395 HP vs the 260? in the ED. So the Hemi is the stronger motor, but the ED will feel stronger off the line because it makes full torque at like 1600 RPMS (very close to idle) vs 3000+ rpms in the Hemi, so the Hemi needs to wind up to make it's power.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s 480 on the ED not 420

Reactions: Doc

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not about HP it's the torque

Torque is great for towing etc. But HP is also important. I drove the previous generation ED in my dad's Jeep GC. It feels quick because the torque, but it's not at all. The Hemi in the Ram is much faster.

Doc

Reaction score
The torque in the ED is 420 vs the 410 in the Hemi, you won't notice that difference. However the Hemi also has 395 HP vs the 260? in the ED. So the Hemi is the stronger motor, but the ED will feel stronger off the line because it makes full torque at like 1600 RPMS (very close to idle) vs 3000+ rpms in the Hemi, so the Hemi needs to wind up to make it's power.
480 not 420

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Torque is great for towing etc. But HP is also important. I drove the previous generation ED in my dad's Jeep GC. It feels quick because the torque, but it's not at all. The Hemi in the Ram is much faster.

That's pretty much it. The ED will feel really great off the line, but "runs out of breath" on the highway; doesn't have enough HP, which is where the Hemi will eat its lunch (and also eat 3 times the amount of fuel, but......)

spaightlabs

Reaction score
idle for long periods of time with HVAC running for the dog, which is another diesel forte.

I got rid of a 17 Eco-D to get the 19 hemi 2 weeks go.

I had an 04.5 Duramax and you could idle that thing for weeks without a problem. These new diesels with their DPFs and DEF fluid do not like to be idled for long periods of time - it leads to massive soot buildup/contamination of the oil. If you are a 'screw the man and to heck with the warranty' kind of guy you can buy a $1000 tuner that works its way around a lot of the emission stuff or you can perform a full delete.

Loved the Eco-D on long hi way jaunts - got 23 to 24 at 78 to 82, but in town (ok - in the city), the mileage was no better than the hemi I traded in on the eco-D and the sluggish - let me rephrase that SLUGGISH throttle was a bit nerve-wracking in certain traffic situations.

Add in the cost of DEF, fuel filters every 20K and other increased maintenance costs including $125 oil changes ( 11.5 quarts of synthetic) and the economics didn't work for me.

I got $2000 less than I paid for my Eco-D after 2 years so it was time to move along.

To those who choose to pick up a 2020 1500 Eco-D I hope it works out how you want. (y)

Doc

Reaction score
Come Monday, production should start on the 2020 model year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190716-234513_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190716-234513_Samsung Internet.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread