5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wait is over! Best in class torque!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As long as the revised diesel doesn't have the maintenance/reliability issues... That's the main thing. It's kinda doubtful an owner could tell the difference between 20 foot pounds of torque, however losing a complete motor isn't too hard to figure out.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Considering that I have been putting Mid Grade or Premium in my truck: yes, I wish I had waited. I used to think Diesel wasn't worth it because of the price difference at the pump. But since I pay extra for 89 now anyway I wouldn't mind a Diesel.

TimG

Reaction score
I'm really surprised that they are going to put it in the Rebel (at least according to the article I just read). That's going to be a great combination if true.

Doc

Reaction score
Considering that I have been putting Mid Grade or Premium in my truck: yes, I wish I had waited. I used to think Diesel wasn't worth it because of the price difference at the pump. But since I pay extra for 89 now anyway I wouldn't mind a Diesel.
I have a vw tdi for road trips and my wife asked is it really saving money because of the price difference? I broke it down to cents per mile so she could get ask appreciation for the diesel.

Doc

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see mpg numbers. Hopefully the reliability is much better!
I would think it would be. The cost is to high, as FCA tries to gain market share.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I couldn't wait, but went with a lease to see how things are in 3 years. The timing should be about right to see if the new diesels have teething issues.

Does anyone know the history of the new engine? Where it was designed and engineered?

Doc

Reaction score
I couldn't wait, but went with a lease to see how things are in 3 years. The timing should be about right to see if the new diesels have teething issues.

Does anyone know the history of the new engine? Where it was designed and engineered?
Still manufactured by VM Motori. Lease may have been a good compromise.

anonymous

Reaction score
3rd iteration of it i think
The numbers are not the problem, the reliability of it is what's questionable.
Pretty much everybody I know with that diesel has had issues with it, top spot being my next door neighbor - his truck burned to a crisp on the driveway after major warranty work done on the engine at 80.000 miles. They had some back and forth and he got a brand new truck, similar trim. He sold it and got a Sierra.
He needed to get the driveway repaved, it was all melted.

"In January 2011, VM Motori launched its brand new engine 3.0L V6 Variable Valve Timing A 630 DOHC With 241 hp (180 kW; 244 PS) and 550 N⋅m (410 lb⋅ft) of torque. Thanks to a collaboration with Fiat Powertrain Technologies, the engine features the latest FPT Common Rail Multijet2 technology for improved performance, fuel economy and NVH. In 2013, the engine was redesigned to comply with Euro5+ emissions standards.

The first application of the A 630 DOHC was the 2011 Grand Cherokee. The same engine also powers the Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco-Diesel since 2014, and in lightly tuned form, the Maserati Ghibli III. The engine won several awards including Ward's 10 Best engines of 2014 during its first model year of production in the Jeep &Ram. And has gone on for an unprecedented diesel 'repeat' winning Ward's Top 10 List again in 2015 and 2016.[16][17][18]"

"The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 that will power the 2020 Ram 1500 is heavily revised and as a result, the company is calling it the third generation of the young engine."
"Compared to the second generation EcoDiesel, the engine coming for the 2020 Ram 1500 includes a new water-cooled turbocharger with a variable geometry turbine, redesigned cylinder head intake ports, a revised exhaust gas recirculating system, a higher compression ratio (now 16.5 to 1), redesigned direct injection fuel nozzles, new lightweight aluminum pistons, a new two-piece oil sump system and a new dual vacuum pump system. These changes reduce NVH levels and improve efficiency, leading to a cleaner-running engine that just-so-happens to produce quite a bit more power than the previous iteration of the EcoDiesel."

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of the issues I hear from diesel owners (across all brands) are related to the newer emission regulations and diesel particulate filter regeneration.

Reactions: Doc

dannydyn

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the newb question, but where should we expect the 2020 EcoDiesel to be placed at price-wise compared to the existing offerings (V6eTorque, V8, V8eTorque)?

Doc

Reaction score
I'm sorry for the newb question, but where should we expect the 2020 EcoDiesel to be placed at price-wise compared to the existing offerings (V6eTorque, V8, V8eTorque)?
Probably a couple grand higher than the V8

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then the math gets fun. You can buy a lot of gas for a couple grand. If you tow a lot, you're probably not looking at a 1500 anyway. If you do a lot of highway driving and the MPG ends up being north of 30, there may be a return on the extra expense of the diesel option plus its higher fuel costs.

Last edited:

Doc

Reaction score
Then the math gets fun. You can buy a lot of gas for a couple grand. If you tow a lot, you're probably not looking at a 1500 anyway. If you do a lot of highway driving and the MPG ends up being north of 30, there may be a return on the extra expense of the diesel option plus its higher fuel costs.
Fun yes. I haul a 4k lbs boat, and run my trucks for a decade or longer. My diesel pays for itself at least 2 times over. Not to mention time saved at the fuel station.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone go to their dealership yet to inquire?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread