5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The OFFICIAL Answer......... MOPAR Front Upper Control Arm (UCA)

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK guys...I leveled my 19' Ram with 2.5 leveling pucks and I'm wanting to replace the UCA's and not sure which ones to go with...My end goal is to get the UCA's and put the Bilstein 5100's on the front and add some 2 or 3" spacers in the back... I am trying not to have to buy a complete lift kit if I don't have to.
Next question...Do UCA's add any lift? Would the 5100's replace the top hat spacers...I know they are adjustable...I am about to get some 35's and want to install all of this before I get the tires so all I have to do is align, mount and balance...Any info would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
UCAs would not add any lift. They are theoretically designed to maintain OEM geometry for their specified lift range. Any time you mess with the front end components it's a good idea to get an alignment done to make sure everything is adjusted in spec.

Depending on the lift you want up front the 5100s could replace your spacers. For a non-ORG truck I think you can get as much as 2.6" or 2.7" lift from them alone over stock. With an ORG truck I think it's 2".

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
InstaLled mine this afternoon. 2020 Rebel with Bilstein 5100’s @ clip #5. Peace of mind now. East Peasy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does getting a bigger diameter tire bring the geometry of the UCA’s up?

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Changed out the OEM UCA’s to the Mopar lift UCA’s.. All I can say is that the truck is riding so much better. Not sure if they have that effect but noticeably smoother, and not that stiff/harsh anymore. 2020 Rebel with Bilstein 5100’s at clip #5

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
If you going with 3" of lift in the front I would go with these UCA's from RC (link below) for your 4th gen. I actually used these on my 5th gen and they work great even though they are for a 4th gen.
I don't know if the new 5th gen 2" mopar UCAs will fit on a 4th gen but if you are going with 3" of lift in front then I would recommend something else anyways. My mopar lift UCA ball joints were about maxed out at 3" of lift which is why I switched.

I want to do this same thing. My mopar lift is already installed and I want another inch. I have the orp springs coming. My OCD or something kicks in with the RC UCA'S. I want RC or someone to tell me why they don't list these to fit a new body 5th gen, when clearly they work great according to you? And I think I've seen a few others say the same things as you.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Fuzznutz

Reaction score

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want to do this same thing. My mopar lift is already installed and I want another inch. I have the orp springs coming. My OCD or something kicks in with the RC UCA'S. I want RC or someone to tell me why they don't list these to fit a new body 5th gen, when clearly they work great according to you? And I think I've seen a few others say the same things as you.

I hear ya, only RC knows the real reason why they don't list the older style UCA to fit the 5th gen. My personal opinion is they want you to spend more money on the new forged ones lol.

I had read somewhere one here that a guy paid $99 for the 4th gen UCA from the RC scratch and dent website and he said there was another set for sale at the same price so I took a chance on them and they have been excellent UCAs for me.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
I have them on my Rebel with 3 inches of lift and they are working great. (Mopar UCA’s)

That's what I'm debating thanks. So much info spread out through so many threads, its hard to read it all and remember it all. Since I already have the Mopar uca's it'd be great if they're functional, and safe to use up to that 3 inches of lift.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s two photos of both stock and Mopar UCA articulation. It appears the Mopar UCA has about .5-.6” more ball joint angle. I used the Mopar UCA with the Mopar lift+ ORP spring (3” total lift), and the angles were fine. Not sure if I’d go hardcore off roading, but fine for highway driving.

Attachments

• 720F9EEA-03C9-4D2C-A089-36EE2860E740.jpeg
    720F9EEA-03C9-4D2C-A089-36EE2860E740.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 32455C41-790E-470E-ABEA-84C2F3C999AD.jpeg
    32455C41-790E-470E-ABEA-84C2F3C999AD.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 123

Olguingo

Reaction score
InstaLled mine this afternoon. 2020 Rebel with Bilstein 5100’s @ clip #5. Peace of mind now. East Peasy

Did you replace the UCA? I have the 2021 and looking to do the same. My shop said I need them. But I don’t think I should with the Rebel

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Here’s two photos of both stock and Mopar UCA articulation. It appears the Mopar UCA has about .5-.6” more ball joint angle. I used the Mopar UCA with the Mopar lift+ ORP spring (3” total lift), and the angles were fine. Not sure if I’d go hardcore off roading, but fine for highway driving.

That’s the same set up as an orp with mopar ucas. I added the bilsteins and the angles are absolutely fine. Hardly any change and I have been off-road quite a bit with zero issues.

2019 Ram 1500 ORP “long bed” - setting #5 bilsteins, 2”mopar ucas, hellwig sway bar, tonneau cover, bed mat, 20” Laramie sport wheels on 285/60r20 falkens. Flowmaster outlaw.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you replace the UCA? I have the 2021 and looking to do the same. My shop said I need them. But I don’t think I should with the Rebel

Yes. Installed the Mopar lift UCA’s for peace of mind. Definitely has more range of motion.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alight hope I don't sounds like an idiot saying this but here it goes LOL.

I just installed the motofab 2" leveling kit on my Ram. After I installed everything and before I put the wheels on, I noticed that my upper control arms were hitting the springs while fully drooped.
Well before the leveling kit install I was concerned about maxing out my UCA so I was considering buying the Mopar 2" lift version and now that I noticed this I started to question if they were really needed? My UCA will make contact on the springs before they even max out. I haven't really checked the angles yet after I lowered the truck on the wheels, but if I have all that movement available I don't think the UCA are really needed right in my application correct?

So I guess in all I'm saying/thinking if you still have enough travel on your UCA, I don't think they are necessary correct? I'm about to go check my angles out right now. This UCA thread has me questioning if I should just upgrade for piece of mind haha.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alight hope I don't sounds like an idiot saying this but here it goes LOL.

I just installed the motofab 2" leveling kit on my Ram. After I installed everything and before I put the wheels on, I noticed that my upper control arms were hitting the springs while fully drooped.
Well before the leveling kit install I was concerned about maxing out my UCA so I was considering buying the Mopar 2" lift version and now that I noticed this I started to question if they were really needed? My UCA will make contact on the springs before they even max out. I haven't really checked the angles yet after I lowered the truck on the wheels, but if I have all that movement available I don't think the UCA are really needed right in my application correct?

So I guess in all I'm saying/thinking if you still have enough travel on your UCA, I don't think they are necessary correct? I'm about to go check my angles out right now. This UCA thread has me questioning if I should just upgrade for piece of mind haha.

you'll likely still hit even with Mopar UCA’s. Did you happen to take note of how much (or little) space you had with stock? It’s like 1-2mm. So it’s not like you’re just mashing the spring. I would upgrade for piece of mind, they’re like 40 bucks each.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you'll likely still hit even with Mopar UCA’s. Did you happen to take note of how much (or little) space you had with stock? It’s like 1-2mm. So it’s not like you’re just mashing the spring. I would upgrade for piece of mind, they’re like 40 bucks each.
Well it's not the hitting that has me worried.

My thought is if my UCA's are able to flex enough to hit the spring that would lead me to believe that my stock UCA's are good for the amount of lift I have. In other words, I still have a ton of flexibility by my factory UCA's. So my thought is I don't think I would need to upgrade to the Mopar ones as of the amount of movement still offered by what I have. I'm not a cheap man, don't get me wrong, I love upgrading things on my vehicles regardless of needing them haha. But I'm just curiously thinking out loud that are people changing their UCA strictly because of the angle or is it because of the flexibility being maxed out at a much earlier spot? Example if my downward droop was only an inch and I could tell that my UCA's were the culprit at that point I would understand that I need UCA's, but if the factory ones are allowing my UCA's to still touch the springs before getting maxed out I should be good right? haha

Hope that makes sense. If it doesn't well dang my bad, I think too much. :D

Users who are viewing this thread