5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Air Dam Debate

John Galt

Reaction score
It's $100 for them and $500 for us.
You think they build these trucks for free?
And when it breaks they can charge another $500 and labor at the dealership.
In that case they could just not add it and charge us $500 anyway for the improved efficiency!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are we talking about the same company?😆

Keep building Hellcats and just pay the fines👍🏻

You also miss the fact that they are selling a glorified 29K fleet rental car with a hopped up engine for 90-100K to dumbasses at 26-29% interests rates through Chrysler Capital. That loss is being passed on to the buyer. I've seen new buyers stupidly post they got a new "cat" then post the financials docs, $2,400+ a month payment for 10 years. Thats 290k for a 80-100k car

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You also miss the fact that they are selling a glorified 29K fleet rental car with a hopped up engine for 90-100K to dumbasses at 26-29% interests rates through Chrysler Capital. That loss is being passed on to the buyer. I've seen new buyers stupidly post they got a new "cat" then post the financials docs, $2,400+ a month payment for 10 years. Thats 290k for a 80-100k car
Most buyers aren't at that high of an interest rate. And as far as the "glorified fleet rental car", you can say the same thing about the GT500/350 Mustang, LT1 Camaro .........

BowDown

Reaction score
Most buyers aren't at that high of an interest rate. And as far as the "glorified fleet rental car", you can say the same thing about the GT500/350 Mustang, LT1 Camaro .........

Indeed you can and I do. Had the conversation with a friend about that very subject. Was thinking about going to a C8Z but Im not spending that money. Friend suggested the GT500 saying that it was the best performance car under 150k 2hich it likely is but I'm not paying 90k for a mustang.

As to the interest rate comment, I bet more are than you'd think.

Reaction score
whatever you do...don't buy the "active dam" garbage if you expect to get better gas mileage...I have one, and it pretty much is useless.
Agree. I removed both the active and stationary air dams and have had no difference in mpg's. And, in my opinion, the truck looks better both from the front and the side as the stationary air dam hangs quite low. Plus, when the active one deployed, it left barely any clearance, and I ended up banging up a few times. My truck has a 3.5" Rough Country suspension lift that includes correct angle upper control arms, and the mono-tube shock option. Although my truck is lifted with 35x12.5r22 Mud Terrains, I had removed these things well before the lift. I saw no loss or gain in mpg's. Obviously, if your truck is lifted with bigger tires, it's a no-brainer that the air dams will be useless. My experience is that they are useless anyway. I think the truck looks much better without the air dam.

Alec

GMetal

Reaction score
To be fair those dumbasses never pay off the car. Its totaled while running from the cops or stolen and parted out.

BowDown

Reaction score
To be fair those dumbasses never pay off the car. Its totaled while running from the cops or stolen and parted out.

Possibly true but that doesnt change the fact that they are buiyng these cars at crazy intrest rates with payments the size of a mortgage payment.
This guy was paying 1200 a month for a scat

Dewey

Reaction score
Possibly true but that doesnt change the fact that they are buiyng these cars at crazy intrest rates with payments the size of a mortgage payment.
This guy was paying 1200 a month for a scat
Some guys buying these vehicles have a huge number of followers on YouTube and are getting monetized with large earnings every month so they might not be paying little or anything out of pocket.

Look up how much Ginger Billy is making for his goofy videos.😵

BowDown

Reaction score
Some guys buying these vehicles have a huge number of followers on YouTube and are getting monetized with large earnings every month so they might not be paying little or anything out of pocket.

Look up how much Ginger Billy is making for his goofy videos.😵
yeah thats not the majority of thes dumb donkeys

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Almost all of these little aerodynamic changes are negligible if you drive aggressively. Drive conservative on the highway and you will see some mpg impact. Also, once you change the height of your truck, I believe you will lose most or all of the aerodynamic advantages of the little dropdown dam. Might as well go for looks at that point. If you had a fleet of stock trucks for your business that drove the highways ever day, you’d want the extra mpg no matter how small.

If you are looking at a hot car, who buys a muscle car for mileage…. Take whatever you want off those. Make them look how you want. Smoke a few tires and live it up!

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Most people would say the same about a truck...who buys a truck for mileage?
People who buy them for traveling with their family or long commutes that require trucks…

People who never hot rod their truck.

Anyone who spends more miles on the highway than in the city and doesn’t off road other than driving the 2 tracks…

I pay off trucks and drive them usually 10-11 years. My last ram got 5-6 mpg less on the highway. My deer camp is 250 miles away and I drive it many weekends. This new truck is much cheaper than my old one to drive. That adds up over several thousand miles a year. Power of a hemi when needed and decent mileage is a great combination.

But yeah, when I was younger and would lift a truck and do more serious off road adventures I cared not about mileage. Only torque and clearance!

Users who are viewing this thread