5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Air Dam Debate

Jeffry O

Reaction score
I have a Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab.
I do not have the active Air Dam... just the permanent front hanging one.

I do a lot of highway driving, so gas mileage is a concern for me.
I might install an active one if it would make a difference. This was a factory delete but not because of an air suspension.
On the other hand I would also like the look of removing that front piece from the bumper all together if all this air dam stuff doesn't really make a real difference.

So the question is... how much mpg difference do you really get from the air dam or the active air dam?
Hoping for factual noticed personal differences (before and after) or design spec info on the matter.

THANKS!

Last edited:

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Take this one with a big grain of salt:

"Detroit — Mike Manley, head of FCA US LLC's Ram brand, described the automaker's newest pickup truck design as "a no-compromise approach to the full-size truck segment" when it made its Jan. 15 debut at the North American International Auto Show.

With help from automotive supplier Magna International Inc., the 2019 Ram 1500 is also one of its most aerodynamic designs.

Magna's active air dam, a device positioned underneath the front end that deploys automatically at a vehicle speed starting at 35 miles per hour, is being used for the first time on the Ram 1500. The system redirects air around the vehicle, reducing turbulent airflow underneath and ultimately providing emissions and fuel economy improvements, the company said.

Combined with Magna's active grille shutter, it enables a nearly 7 percent reduction in drag and 1-mile-per-gallon fuel savings on the highway, Anthony Povinelli, global product line director for active aerodynamics, said in a Jan. 17 interview at Magna's AutoMobili-D booth."

Magna active air dams boost aerodynamics on Ram 1500

Everything is supposed to save me 1 MPG, but my mileage still sucks. 😄

If you want some more reading, there's this from Stellantis. There's a section on aerodynamics, but it may raise more questions than it answers.

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/pdf.do?id=18757

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if my profile pic is scaring people away...
lol
I have mine off for while now but I am on the opposite side, do heavy heavy city driving and only highway on the weekends. I also had both not just the fix one.
because of the city driving mpg's are terrible and removing it was not gonna make a difference to me so I might not be a good source for accurate feedback
I don't have concrete numbers that I can share, only that the computer was reading very similar numbers on my usual highway trips before and after.
1-2 mpg

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I have a Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab.
I do not have the active Air Dam... just the permanent front hanging one.

I do a lot of highway driving, so gas mileage is a concern for me.
I might install an active one if it would make a difference. This was a factory delete but not because of an air suspension.
On the other hand I would also like the look of removing that front piece from the bumper all together if all this air dam stuff doesn't really make a real difference.

So the question is... how much mpg difference do you really get from the air dam or the active air dam?
Hoping for factual noticed personal differences (before and after) or design spec info on the matter.

THANKS!
what year truck do you have

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
He doesn't have it. He is looking at adding it.

Waste of $500 imo. Can get way more gas then you would ever save with it.
I know he doesn't have it. Unless he can get it used for cheap or free, it might be worth it.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see no reason to remove it. Unless you need extra clearance for something. Outside of that I couldn't see any logical reason to remove it.
everybody that I have seen removing it, has been for looks, which is also one thing the OP mentioned. He would also like the look of the fix part removed if the electronic one doesn't add anyhing positive
I personally ended up liking both with and without. Currently left it off

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
everybody that I have seen removing it, has been for looks, which is also one thing the OP mentioned. He would also like the look of the fix part removed if the electronic one doesn't add anyhing positive
I personally ended up liking both with and without. Currently left it off
I guess I'd have to see a truck with and without side by side. I don't look under my truck for looks so I don't know if it would look better.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
whatever you do...don't buy the "active dam" garbage if you expect to get better gas mileage...I have one, and it pretty much is useless.
another point is that some don't last and go bad due to water. Didn't ram extended the warranty on it for 8 years - I feel like some body posted this a while back

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a great video from TFLT addressing this very topic using a 4th gen Ram.

that is a good amount on a stock truck.
Would the fix part be less effective on a level truck?
Also wonder if a 4th gen is lower up front than a 5gen
For reference my truck is level, the OP has not mentioned if his is stock or has any level or lift

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Take this one with a big grain of salt:

"Detroit — Mike Manley, head of FCA US LLC's Ram brand, described the automaker's newest pickup truck design as "a no-compromise approach to the full-size truck segment" when it made its Jan. 15 debut at the North American International Auto Show.

With help from automotive supplier Magna International Inc., the 2019 Ram 1500 is also one of its most aerodynamic designs.

Magna's active air dam, a device positioned underneath the front end that deploys automatically at a vehicle speed starting at 35 miles per hour, is being used for the first time on the Ram 1500. The system redirects air around the vehicle, reducing turbulent airflow underneath and ultimately providing emissions and fuel economy improvements, the company said.

Combined with Magna's active grille shutter, it enables a nearly 7 percent reduction in drag and 1-mile-per-gallon fuel savings on the highway, Anthony Povinelli, global product line director for active aerodynamics, said in a Jan. 17 interview at Magna's AutoMobili-D booth."

Magna active air dams boost aerodynamics on Ram 1500

Everything is supposed to save me 1 MPG, but my mileage still sucks. 😄

If you want some more reading, there's this from Stellantis. There's a section on aerodynamics, but it may raise more questions than it answers.

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/pdf.do?id=18757
I find the line above stating air dam effects emissions very interesting.
I don't understand how.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that is a good amount on a stock truck.
Would the fix part be less effective on a level truck?
Also wonder if a 4th gen is lower up front than a 5gen
For reference my truck is level, the OP has not mentioned if his is stock or has any level or lift
I would agree that if the truck is lifted/leveled it probably renders the AAD useless.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I find the line above stating air dam effects emissions very interesting.
I don't understand how.

The idea they are pushing is that by reducing wind turbulence under the vehicle (with the air dam and shutters) they reduce the drag coefficient (improve aerodynamics), which improves mileage (lowers fuel consumption), and therefore reduces emissions.

Ultimately, they are trying to sell a vehicle, and bullsh!t is a part of sales. How much is fact and how much is fiction, I do not know. Based on real life experience in all types of matters, I imagine the truth lies somewhere between nothing, and what the marketing claims it is.

I like my truck, it's cool, the mileage is OK, and so far, the chicks are not impressed when I tell them I've got a .357 drag coefficient. Take it for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread