5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Air Dam Debate

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The idea they are pushing is that by reducing wind turbulence under the vehicle (with the air dam and shutters) they reduce the drag coefficient (improve aerodynamics), which improves mileage (lowers fuel consumption), and therefore reduces emissions.
So I wonder if anyone has taken into account the amount of energy it takes to run the AAD motor. This electricity is ultimately generated by burning fuel. So playing devil's advocate, if you live in a suburban area with a lot of stop signs and 35 and 45 MPH speed limits, the thing is going to be running up and down a lot. Is it possible that mileage and therefore emissions may actually be worse with the AAD under some circumstances? 😲

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Any fuel savings will be negated by the weight of the AAD.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
He did say it was factory delete. I see dealers around me that order a few different items as factory delete. They get small credit, and can advertise cheaper prices.
AFAIK, dealers can not request certain items that are part of option packages be deleted. There are many Rams shipped the last couple years with factory option deletes due to supply issues and the chip shortage. Not because they were ordered that way.

6of36

Reaction score
AFAIK, dealers can not request certain items that are part of option packages be deleted. There are many Rams shipped the last couple years with factory option deletes due to supply issues and the chip shortage. Not because they were ordered that way.
I've seen them ordered rear under seat storage delete. No chips. That's just one example. Said delete, with a credit.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen them ordered rear under seat storage delete. No chips. That's just one example. Said delete, with a credit.
You've witnessed them order it in the systems or you saw it on a window sticker?

6of36

Reaction score
You've witnessed them order it in the systems or you saw it on a window sticker?
Window sticker, when searching trucks. The inventory site sucks too, shows trucks nowhere close to what is searched. You have to open each one separately. I have clicked on many in the price range, to find out they have options I HATE, but can't eliminate, but missing something I must have, about the same price. I saw on a few, when choosing show window sticker, that they had things listed as delete, with a credit. One of which, was rear under seat storage, which was part of an option package.

Rowbaretow

Reaction score
Alrighty so I owned a 2020 5th gen with the 5.7 hemi and no etorque. I removed air dam and added 34in duratracs. I essentially started getting 14mpg to work driving city where before stock I was getting 17mpg. So airdam + bigger tires + plus off-road tires = 3mpg. Every little thing does equate to 1mpg it seems.

I now have a 2022 3.6l etorque. Stock. Drove it home last night highway. Then to St Patrick’s day event city. Let it idle for 5 minutes started to show my friends. I’m getting 21.5 now. Was 26 when I got home from dealer. I’ll do hand calculations when I hit E.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Alrighty so I owned a 2020 5th gen with the 5.7 hemi and no etorque. I removed air dam and added 34in duratracs. I essentially started getting 14mpg to work driving city where before stock I was getting 17mpg. So airdam + bigger tires + plus off-road tires = 3mpg. Every little thing does equate to 1mpg it seems.

I now have a 2022 3.6l etorque. Stock. Drove it home last night highway. Then to St Patrick’s day event city. Let it idle for 5 minutes started to show my friends. I’m getting 21.5 now. Was 26 when I got home from dealer. I’ll do hand calculations when I hit E.
Woah.
Air dam and 34 inch tires are completely differnet things.
Really jumping to conclusions...
Air dam isn't going to make a damn difference (pun intended)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

It was the tires on the 2020. Especially if they are load range E. Had you recalibrated the speedo?

Rowbaretow

Reaction score
Sorry, I misspoke and looked up my previous order. They were 33’s. 275/60/R20. SL rated. 49lbs each. I also never went off the trip computer. I hand calculate everything.

7B85DD34-9904-459A-8B14-3F92491389CB.png

397STROKER

Reaction score
The only way I think it may help is if you are stock, as the front end is low enough that when it deploys it is close enough to the ground to possibly do what it advertises. But as was posted if all the piece parts net 1mpg, what is the air dams worth .5, .7, who knows. I am lifted 3 inches in the front/1.5 inches in the rear with 34 inch E rated tires and have the AAD deactivated and get anywhere from 16 to 19 on the highway. I read on post that removed both and claimed better gas mileage and I believe the truck was lifted. Try taking the stationary one off for a couple gas tanks and see the difference. You can always put it back on. This should give an indication if it really makes a difference and how much. I did this with the AAD disconnected and did not see any real difference, but again I am lifted with larger tires.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I misspoke and looked up my previous order. They were 33’s. 275/60/R20. SL rated. 49lbs each. I also never went off the trip computer. I hand calculate everything.
But if you get the miles for your hand calculations from the odometer, and you haven't calibrated your tire size, you are still using incorrect numbers and will get incorrect answers.

6of36

Reaction score
The only way I think it may help is if you are stock, as the front end is low enough that when it deploys it is close enough to the ground to possibly do what it advertises. But as was posted if all the piece parts net 1mpg, what is the air dams worth .5, .7, who knows. I am lifted 3 inches in the front/1.5 inches in the rear with 34 inch E rated tires and have the AAD deactivated and get anywhere from 16 to 19 on the highway. I read on post that removed both and claimed better gas mileage and I believe the truck was lifted. Try taking the stationary one off for a couple gas tanks and see the difference. You can always put it back on. This should give an indication if it really makes a difference and how much. I did this with the AAD disconnected and did not see any real difference, but again I am lifted with larger tires.
You are right about that. The trucks sit nose low, and the air suspensions lower at speed for better fuel economy. As soon as you modify ride height, everything changes.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Like I've said in numerous other air dam threads, I didn't see any noticeable difference in fuel economy on any of the three trucks I removed both air dams from (2 Limited and 1 Laramie). I see more than 1 mpg difference from one week to the next based on weather conditions and how much city driving I do that week. Removing the air dams may have an effect, especially in the wind tunnel, but it's negligible in real world use.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
so I have the Limited with the "air ride" and I do have the auto spoiler thing that comes down. On trips I have actually gotten better gas mileage in normal height mode than in aero mode, not that this has anything to do with the auto spoiler deal but interesting just the same... this would lead me to believe that although your a lifted truck, that having a front air damn on it might still provide you better gas mileage with it than without.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I have driven with it after i lifted and then deactivated it and did not see any noticeable difference.

John Galt

Reaction score
I think the active air dam is less about increasing mileage (especially if you already have the stationary one) and more about not getting it caught on curbs and parking blocks when you park.

I’ve seen SO many of those fixed air dams (and in one case the whole bumper) get ripped off when someone backs out of their parking space…..

my guess regarding the fuel savings difference between the active and stationary air dam: zero….as long as you don’t rip it off in the parking lot.

Users who are viewing this thread