5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded leaking and cracked rear window frame

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, but not surprised. It's mind boggling the way they can just get out of the responsibility of designing something using defective parts, then just say "we're not offering any cost assistance for the crappy part we used in our own design because it's a wear and tear item (which is also BS).

mayer7196

Reaction score
They will replace it. They aren't going to test if it is leaking. Just say it is and get it fixed. Had mine fixed. They came out and took pics and sent it in to FCA and it was approved and replaced. Easy.
I just noticed a crack in my 2020 yesterday. I have an apt on Monday. I had originally planned to just drop it off and pick it up the next day but do they literally just take a pic and send you on your way?

FYI, my dealer has never heard of this issue.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just noticed a crack in my 2020 yesterday. I have an apt on Monday. I had originally planned to just drop it off and pick it up the next day but do they literally just take a pic and send you on your way?

I would have zero trust in a dealership that just straight out lied to my face.

My1stHemi

Reaction score

My dealer SO said that they replace at least one a day.

I have a cheap fix that has resolved my $1800 out of pocket design failure.

Post in thread 'Rear window leak'
Rear window leak

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
My Certified Pre-Owned 2019 - which I purchased only 2 months ago - leaks like someone installed a shower head in the back. I managed to catch a video of the torrential downpour coming from roughly the 3rd brake light/sliding window area. So, I took it to the dealer thinking it's covered under the CPO warranty. Haha...silly me.

Dealer just called, and...NOPE. Not covered. $1,400 to "repair".

So I said, "NOPE". I'll fix that s*@t myself with a brake light gasket, a big tube of RTV sealant, and whatever else I need to fix a potentially cracked rear window frame. Duct tape, bandaids, RTV, bathroom silicon...here we go.

Hold my beer...

rocketsk8s555

Reaction score
My Certified Pre-Owned 2019 - which I purchased only 2 months ago - leaks like someone installed a shower head in the back. I managed to catch a video of the torrential downpour coming from roughly the 3rd brake light/sliding window area. So, I took it to the dealer thinking it's covered under the CPO warranty. Haha...silly me.

Dealer just called, and...NOPE. Not covered. $1,400 to "repair".

So I said, "NOPE". I'll fix that s*@t myself with a brake light gasket, a big tube of RTV sealant, and whatever else I need to fix a potentially cracked rear window frame. Duct tape, bandaids, RTV, bathroom silicon...here we go.

Hold my beer...
How did it go?

rocketsk8s555

Reaction score
It went awesome. I’ve used the pressure washer on it and been through several car washes. Unless you know what you’re looking for it’ll never be noticed. I highly recommend this cheap solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear you got it right. I'd feel a whole lot better using your solution but couple of questions on how.... The back window of my 19 Laramie seems very tight to the body (see pics). The gap could barley fit the wide end of a match book. Is that really enough room to push in silicone without making a total mess of the glass and body. Would seem you never know when you've filled in enough. Any pointers appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220824_200217.jpg
    20220824_200217.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220824_200153.jpg
    20220824_200153.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 69

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Good to hear you got it right. I'd feel a whole lot better using your solution but couple of questions on how.... The back window of my 19 Laramie seems very tight to the body (see pics). The gap could barley fit the wide end of a match book. Is that really enough room to push in silicone without making a total mess of the glass and body. Would seem you never know when you've filled in enough. Any pointers appreciated.

Give me a day or so and I’ll take pictures of mine for all to criticize. Hopefully they will help you. And yes, some of the gaps were small but I had shop towels ready and I also cut the hole in the caulk tube very small.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Okay, here are several pics. I hope it’s clear that some areas of the back window have deeper gaps than others. I got pretty smooth seams in places and wish I’d pumped more into others so it looked cleaner. But overall, it’s working and nobody’s going to notice.

592fada80a29b450cabb6cc61bda21e5.jpg

68738feebe88b1c8958bf302a284cad1.jpg

9dcc692d1d1bafb313cec1792acf8ceb.jpg

048909b122c2b2d0535b8c5bc7b0c575.jpg

cf6e6f70262c3c6dbc57abcd18ac9711.jpg

dd859e2c17e025fb796e3ddda7a6ee49.jpg

rocketsk8s555

Reaction score
Okay, here are several pics. I hope it’s clear that some areas of the back window have deeper gaps than others. I got pretty smooth seams in places and wish I’d pumped more into others so it looked cleaner. But overall, it’s working and nobody’s going to notice.

592fada80a29b450cabb6cc61bda21e5.jpg

68738feebe88b1c8958bf302a284cad1.jpg

9dcc692d1d1bafb313cec1792acf8ceb.jpg

048909b122c2b2d0535b8c5bc7b0c575.jpg

cf6e6f70262c3c6dbc57abcd18ac9711.jpg

dd859e2c17e025fb796e3ddda7a6ee49.jpg

Thanks for sharing. This will come in handy. What was the product you used? Did you go in over the top of the glass? I would think there's a way to go in behind the glass with the brake light off, then maybe a narrow extension adaptor can get down the length of glass to push the silicone. Did you go down the sides of back window or just across the top? Did you fill behind the glass until it came.over the top and then remove excess? Sorry all the questions. Trying to get an edge when I go for it this weekend. Any suggestions or anything you would have done different?
many thanks

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. This will come in handy. What was the product you used? Did you go in over the top of the glass? I would think there's a way to go in behind the glass with the brake light off, then maybe a narrow extension adaptor can get down the length of glass to push the silicone. Did you go down the sides of back window or just across the top? Did you fill behind the glass until it came.over the top and then remove excess? Sorry all the questions. Trying to get an edge when I go for it this weekend. Any suggestions or anything you would have done different?
many thanks

This…
c44caa8855719302298017355ba6f558.jpg

I went in over the top of the glass. Feel free to try it whatever way makes sense for you…I made it up as if went along.

I didn’t go down the sides but just rounded the corners. The leak was from the center of the window where the slider is, at least on mine, so I didn’t need to go farther.

Yeah, basically I filled until it overflowed then used my finger to make a bead while removing excess.

Like I said before, I would have squeezed more in around the bottom of the 3rd brake light so there was a nice smooth bead flush with the glass. But there’s plenty in there…just a cosmetic preference.

Also, this stuff is STICKY. Have plenty of towels ready.

Best of luck! Let’s see some photos!

Brando 2022

Reaction score
Hey there I just bought a used 2020 RAM limited and the dang rear window has two cracks on top of window frame. After reading all the comments I’m at a loss for words, has RAM come up with a fix or recall? I literally bought the truck yesterday and heard rattle when I turned stereo up, then found the cracks. To top it off it started raining yesterday evening so I pulled it in the garage and sure enough it was leaking. Truck has 70k miles on it, what now……

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Hey there I just bought a used 2020 RAM limited and the dang rear window has two cracks on top of window frame. After reading all the comments I’m at a loss for words, has RAM come up with a fix or recall? I literally bought the truck yesterday and heard rattle when I turned stereo up, then found the cracks. To top it off it started raining yesterday evening so I pulled it in the garage and sure enough it was leaking. Truck has 70k miles on it, what now……

Buy a tube of that RTV and get caulking, that’s what.

rocketsk8s555

Reaction score
This…
c44caa8855719302298017355ba6f558.jpg

I went in over the top of the glass. Feel free to try it whatever way makes sense for you…I made it up as if went along.

I didn’t go down the sides but just rounded the corners. The leak was from the center of the window where the slider is, at least on mine, so I didn’t need to go farther.

Yeah, basically I filled until it overflowed then used my finger to make a bead while removing excess.

Like I said before, I would have squeezed more in around the bottom of the 3rd brake light so there was a nice smooth bead flush with the glass. But there’s plenty in there…just a cosmetic preference.

Also, this stuff is STICKY. Have plenty of towels ready.

Best of luck! Let’s see some photos!

I bought my vehicle used. I noticed the typical back window frame cracks and very faint water stain in the headliner. You'd have to shine a light on it to see it. Put the hose and rain on it. Can't get it to leak. But I've read the forums, and your post in particular got me proactive. A dealer wanted $130 just to look at it. Today I addressed two of the three potential leak areas... The third break light and back window. I attached some pics of what I used. I also want to address the sharkfin but not sure if I can put RTV sealant around the fin from plastic to body. I read somewhere that water and air is supposed to get in and out but don't really understand what that means. I would prefer to seal it from the outside and be done, but not sure if it will cause other problems that way. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 20220827_165250.jpg
    20220827_165250.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220827_180717.jpg
    20220827_180717.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220827_152534.jpg
    20220827_152534.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220827_152605.jpg
    20220827_152605.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220827_160521.jpg
    20220827_160521.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

2019Raven

Reaction score
I bought my vehicle used. I noticed the typical back window frame cracks and very faint water stain in the headliner. You'd have to shine a light on it to see it. Put the hose and rain on it. Can't get it to leak. But I've read the forums, and your post in particular got me proactive. A dealer wanted $130 just to look at it. Today I addressed two of the three potential leak areas... The third break light and back window. I attached some pics of what I used. I also want to address the sharkfin but not sure if I can put RTV sealant around the fin from plastic to body. I read somewhere that water and air is supposed to get in and out but don't really understand what that means. I would prefer to seal it from the outside and be done, but not sure if it will cause other problems that way. Thanks for the help.
This is exactly what I did to fix my leak issue. So far, after numerous car washes and over a month on rain the fix has worked. No leaks.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you just bought it take it back to the dealer and point out the problems. No reason they wouldn’t make it right

Users who are viewing this thread