5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
@grinch72 - The light bar looks fantastic...especially the turn signals and reverse. But the delay is a non-starter for me. Have you thought of a way to work around this, i.e. with a different setup than the 4-wire harness?

I thought the delay was going to be a no go for me but I got over it. The delay is only on the brake light. No other delay for other functions. And the brake light does not light up if you quickly tap the brakes so in my mind the delay might actually help since it means I am still pressing on the brakes and it gives the person behind me a little extra “yo, look” after I press the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1200GS

Reaction score
The Curt connector is so you don’t have to use the outside facing wiring pins on the bumper. You hook up the Curt connector as a pass through behind the bumper and gives you an additional 4 or 5 pin connector.

The 56584 has a 5 pin connector so you have one open slot. I then took the extra harness that came with the light bar ( only needed for hardwire scenario) and cut off the bullet pin and wire nutted it to the bare white wire for reverse and plugged it into the 5th pin on the Curt connector. No splicing needed. All plug and play. If you buy the bar and the 56584 once you see it all it will make sense.

Thanks - so where do we get the reverse input from if we DON'T tap into the tail light for that? Is that part of the cable cluster that goes in to the Curt as input?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Thanks - so where do we get the reverse input from if we DON'T tap into the tail light for that? Is that part of the cable cluster that goes in to the Curt as input?

There will be a separate white wire on the Lightbar that would normally be used to tap into the reverse lights. If you put on a bullet connector you can plug it directly into the last hole on the Curt 56584 adapter you install.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the delay was going to be a no go for me but I got over it. The delay is only on the brake light. No other delay for other functions.

I thought the 4 pin used the same pin for brakes and lights... which is what causes the delay as it tries to figure out if it is a turn or brake signal. All the videos I've seen for the OPT7 show a delay for the brake light and the turn signal, how are you not getting a delay?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I thought the 4 pin used the same pin for brakes and lights... which is what causes the delay as it tries to figure out if it is a turn or brake signal. All the videos I've seen for the OPT7 show a delay for the brake light and the turn signal, how are you not getting a delay?

You’re right, there is a one blink delay in the turn signal as well. I was concerned as well initially but in the end I don’t ever really get to look at it so I got over it I guess.

And a golf buddy was behind me last night on the way to my house after golf and commented how cool it looked. So I guess mission accomplished.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought the delay was going to be a no go for me but I got over it. The delay is only on the brake light. No other delay for other functions. And the brake light does not light up if you quickly tap the brakes so in my mind the delay might actually help since it means I am still pressing on the brakes and it gives the person behind me a little extra “yo, look” after I press the brakes.

I get that it looks cool, but I’m still wondering if it’s technically possible to remove the delay with a different wiring configuration.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get that it looks cool, but I’m still wondering if it’s technically possible to remove the delay with a different wiring configuration.

The only thing I can think of is getting into the 7 pin harness... which makes for a more permanent setup.

MachineX

Young and retired in Texas...
Reaction score
So, has anyone checked if there is the same delay when a trailer with LED taillights is connected to the 7 pin as well?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, has anyone checked if there is the same delay when a trailer with LED taillights is connected to the 7 pin as well?

You would need to rig something as it comes with a 4 pin connector... I would think there would be no delay on the 7 pin.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my concern. I really like the look but can't stand the delay, even though I wont ever be behind me to see it. If I could find a way to get rid of the delay I would be all over it.

djwdjw

Reaction score
This one apparently has no delay:

https://www.putco.com/blade-led-tailgate-light-bar

reviews:

https://4wdlife.com/best-tailgate-light-bars

Both the opt7 and the putco have 4-pin connectors. I have no idea why one has a 500 millisecond delay and the other does not. But for another $100 you get to banish the delay.

If that price per millisecond is acceptable, I would love to see an install report on the 60" Putco Blade. It looks nice but does not do the moving/scrolling turn signal/flasher trick the OPT7 does.

Last edited:

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last edited:

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was looking at the PUTCO as well.... looks like they get around the 'delay' by using an in house connector.
Seems rather straight forward and 'should' work with other tailgate light bars.

PUTCO Quick Connect Harness For SwitchBlade LED Tailgate Light Bar
Interesting, but my fear is that the delay is built into the lightbar itself. No matter what you hook up to it, it is programmed for a 4 pin connection. The delay is whether or not it needs a constant light (brake) or a flashing light with the scrolling turn signals. That neat little feature is what I think is causing the delay because it has to know what is happening to provide that efffect.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, but my fear is that the delay is built into the lightbar itself. No matter what you hook up to it, it is programmed for a 4 pin connection. The delay is whether or not it needs a constant light (brake) or a flashing light with the scrolling turn signals. That neat little feature is what I think is causing the delay because it has to know what is happening to provide that efffect.

Maybe but the PUTCO specifically states no delay (now to remember where exactly I saw/read that)

In this video they spliced straight into the 7 pin and no delay

This is the video with the Quick Connect Harness

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe but the PUTCO specifically states no delay (now to remember where exactly I saw/read that)

In this video they spliced straight into the 7 pin and no delay

This is the video with the Quick Connect Harness
Right, but the Putco doesn't do the scrolling turn signal, so as long as it detects a light coming on it comes on as well. The opt7 has to wait because of the scrolling turn signal. I doubt there is a way around it

djwdjw

Reaction score
The Putco (and their harness vs the Curt 56584) looks to require an extra wire over the OPT7. While it does not say specifically, I think from the instructions you can figure out it's the constant +12V. It's not a big deal but I am curious why.

I guess +12V is needed for the little controller box electronics or when the truck taillights might not be 12V, but they seem to have installation options where the +12V wire is not necessary. It is mentioned as needed when the taillights are LED.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right, but the Putco doesn't do the scrolling turn signal, so as long as it detects a light coming on it comes on as well. The opt7 has to wait because of the scrolling turn signal. I doubt there is a way around it

The delay is common to all light bars because they are using the 4 Pin connector and the Brake/Turn signal is on the same wire, it has to wait to determine if it is receiving a constant or intermittent signal....I don't think the scrolling has much to do with it..

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The delay is common to all light bars because they are using the 4 Pin connector and the Brake/Turn signal is on the same wire, it has to wait to determine if it is receiving a constant or intermittent signal....I don't think the scrolling has much to do with it..
So none of them intercept the taillight signal?

Users who are viewing this thread