5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the Putco on my ‘19 Rebel, there is a delay. I used the Curt wire harness for my install. The regular tail lights and trailer lites, plugs, 4 pin/7 pin are on different circuits, hence the delay between brake and turn signals between light bar and regular lights. If you do not want any delay you have to wire the light bar directly to your tail lights and not the trailer plugs. It is in the directions for the Putco light bar. I am not keen on cutting into my factory wire harness so I live with the delay.

So you used the Curt Harness and the not the PUTCO harness... that may be why you have a delay.
The extra wires on the PUTCO harness may be going back into the 7 pin plug...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I installed the Putco on my ‘19 Rebel, there is a delay. I used the Curt wire harness for my install. The regular tail lights and trailer lites, plugs, 4 pin/7 pin are on different circuits, hence the delay between brake and turn signals between light bar and regular lights. If you do not want any delay you have to wire the light bar directly to your tail lights and not the trailer plugs. It is in the directions for the Putco light bar. I am not keen on cutting into my factory wire harness so I live with the delay.
I wonder if there’s a spot in the factory harness where an existing plug could be tapped into (en route to the taillight)...or if it’s possible to unplug at/in the taillight and add a length of wiring to avoid cutting. Sounds like a project for a slow weekend...

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Putco and Curt harnesses are the same thing, Just a jumper at the back of the 7 pin with a 4 pin connector, look at both and you will see. You missed the part of my post in my that the delay from tail lights to light bar is that the ‘19 tail lights and trailer plugs are 2 different circuits. If you do not want a delay you have to wire the Putco bar directly into the tail light wire harness not the trailer light harness, buy cutting into the factory harness at the tail lights. The install directions clearly state this.

I am quite aware of the reason for the delay... it is the same problem for all trucks on the 4 pin harness, the turn signal and brake light are on the same wire.

And the two harnesses are different... 4 pin connector is in the middle and has two additional wire attachments.

Also the video I previosuly posted clearly show two additional taps... if you also go to the end the video, it shows no delay in the application of the brake or turn light.

Dodge Ram: Blade™ LED Light Bar & Blade™ Quick Connect Harness Installation
1548638549434.png

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked my Putco light bar, my bar doesn’t have the two extra plugs shown in your video. It only has a white wire for reverse and the 4 pin connector. I wonder if I have a more generic bar or older model . Would love to get rid of my delay without cutting the factory harness like my directions state.

Maybe an older one? I'd call for sure to see what's going on...

JK47TheWeapon

Reaction score
Once the weather clears up, I'll be installing my lightbar. I received the RED version. Checked laws and rear turn signals in PA (and federal law) says they can be red.

Anyone else go with Red? On the fence if I should return for the amber signals due to safety studies. The directional movement of the lights should indicate that it is a turn signal and not a brake light.

Last edited:

grinch72

Reaction score
Once the weather clears up, I'll be installing my lightbar. I received the RED version. Checked laws and rear turn signals in PA (and federal law) says they can be red.

Anyone else go with Red? On the fence if I should return for the amber signals due to safety studies. The directional movement of the lights should indicate that it is a turn signal and not a brake light.
I simply went with Amber because the actual turn signals are amber and I want to match!

Airbornecmc

Reaction score
I did it using the OPT7 60" Inch & Curt 55384 custom wiring connector to tap into the reverse lights. When mounting I used spacers and poly nail clips with small screws to keep it in place.

If just ordered the same connector and light bar ... how’s it holding up?

Max Limited

Reaction score
Wife bought mine for Valentine's Day, she is a sweetheart!
I gave my Valentine's gift to her already and now I can install my light-bar this weekend.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I took mine off my 2014, noticed when it gets really cold the turn signals don't work but the brake lights/tail lights and reverse still work. Hasn't been warm enough here to put it on so wait til spring as I don't have a garage.

Scotty H

Reaction score
I did it using the OPT7 60" Inch & Curt 55384 custom wiring connector to tap into the reverse lights. When mounting I used spacers and poly nail clips with small screws to keep it in place.
Would you mind posting some photos? Of course just current as you already put it on

MHLY01

Reaction score
Does anyone have problem with code saying check trailer wire and service trailer brake? Installed the OPT7 bar with the Curt and it works fine. Bullet plug for the reverse hooked into the 5 Pin Curt. Now getting codes so unsure what problem is.

Airbornecmc

Reaction score
Got mine done tonight, thanks for the help Jamie.howlett! I used the clips and spaced them away from the plastic with 4 small washers and ran 2 black zip ties in 2 spots where there was no lights for added hold

Any chance you can snap a pic of the location where you utilized zip ties?

Twoamen

Reaction score
I installed mine Saturday. Definitely not for the faint hearted. One of the more difficult installations I've done. Irregular molded panel provided a pretty much Jerry rig assembly. I particularly would of preferred a more stable attachment to truck bed. First off space to work under Tailgate is close real close. I removed the Tailgate which helps with attaching light bar but not checking clearance. To get best visibility the clearance is card stock thin at Tailgate opening. Lowes sells 1/2 inch length nylon spacers (drawer section) and 1/8 length nylon
washers. Right at the inside of both bumps in on truck bed plastic skirt was the 1/4 inch washers used on outside pinch connectors included with light bar. The middle two were spaced 22 inches towards middle from end pinch connectors. Hope this helps. Bottom line P. I. T. A!
I wish there was a better way to attach the light bar. Only options have been discussed in prior statements.

Attachments

• 20190204_171620.jpg
    20190204_171620.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 408
Last edited:

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Just installed my Putco light bar last weekend, what a pain. There is not a lot of room to install these and with the tailgate electrical/wiring plug right in the middle, makes mounting a challenge. Just used nuts & bolts to mount the putco removable brackets to the body, then used larger bolts as spacers to get the clearance I needed to clear the electrical/wiring mount. Looks great but took longer than expected. Got the Putco 7-pin harness adapter & light bar from Summit, they where the cheapest. Been using for a week and no codes or any issues. Only problem is turn signals are delayed, brake and reverse no delay. Instructions say if delays plugging into the harness or trailer is detected, try wiring strait to battery for power but haven't had time to try that yet. Over all happy with the produce.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Just use some spacers, I just used what I had laying around (extra nuts). It's easier with the Putco light bar because you have the removable mounting clips. The light bar needs to be removable if you ever want to remove the tailgate wiring plug. You can make any bar work, it just takes a little work.

BackInBlack694

Reaction score
I used that same adapter on my ‘16 which I just traded in for a ‘19 (lease was up). I used the double sided tape and it worked like a charm. The key is to clean the painted area thoroughly with soap and water and then clean with rubbing alcohol. The light strip stuck on so well I had to pry it off carefully with a mini crow bar. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread