5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

Kilroy

Reaction score
Well with some much-apreciated encouragement from this thread I was able to get mine installed and it clears the tailgate (not by much!) and have it wired up using my modified CURT adaptor (needed a wire for the backup lights) I now have a light bar that is completely plug and play.
My next project is to install my OPT7 side running and running board lights. I bought the combo white and yellow with seq turn signals but I am not sure yet if I want to connect the turn signals though. I really need longer ones but that was the longest version they sold. I am going to trigger the while running board lights (limited) with a magnet switch so they come on when the boards extend. That way they are not both coming on with say the puddle lights.

Wookie0323

Reaction score
Following up on my own question...and I'm happy to report that these Diode Dynamics "Tail as Turn" modules worked!

I tapped into the turn signal and the brake light behind the LED tail lights and combined them with a TaT module (one for each tail light) so that a single wire with a combined brake/turn signal is coming from each tail light. I then connected those wires from the TaT modules to my Christmas present, the Putco 60" bar (yellow for left and green for right), and both the turn signal and the brake lights worked and the delay is virtually gone! It does seem to miss the first flash of the turn signal, but at least it's now in sync with the other flashes and it looks a lot cleaner.

I left everything else still tied to the trailer harness in case anyone was wondering.

Let's see if I can get this video uploaded to show the results.

How well does the reverse light improve the visibility on the backup camera at night?

Gitter

Reaction score
How well does the reverse light improve the visibility on the backup camera at night?

It's and improvement, but it's minimal. I ended up adding some reverse LED pods below the bumper do I could get more brightness while reversing.

What it does a better job doing is alerting others behind you that you are reversing. Great for parking lots.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well with some much-apreciated encouragement from this thread I was able to get mine installed and it clears the tailgate (not by much!) and have it wired up using my modified CURT adaptor (needed a wire for the backup lights) I now have a light bar that is completely plug and play.
My next project is to install my OPT7 side running and running board lights. I bought the combo white and yellow with seq turn signals but I am not sure yet if I want to connect the turn signals though. I really need longer ones but that was the longest version they sold. I am going to trigger the while running board lights (limited) with a magnet switch so they come on when the boards extend. That way they are not both coming on with say the puddle lights.

Have you done the side lights yet?
My lights just arrived. Have crawled around and I’ve pretty much decided/figured where wires will run and get attached. Just not decided exactly where I’m going to mount the lights. The gap between body and wheel to wheel steps isn’t as big as I thought

Kilroy

Reaction score
Have you done the side lights yet?
My lights just arrived. Have crawled around and I’ve pretty much decided/figured where wires will run and get attached. Just not decided exactly where I’m going to mount the lights. The gap between body and wheel to wheel steps isn’t as big as I thought
I mounted to the pinch weld so that the lights shine outward and down. This illuminates the running board perfectly. and they are low enough you can't see them unless you are far away or lower to the ground. I can send you a picture. I also mounted with the wiring to the back, as I connected all my wires to the trailer wiring via the CURT adaptor. I had to add an additional wire/splice to the 12V power (That is constant) to allow the lights to be illuminated for the running boards.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure how you wired things up. The Curt 56070 is a 7 wire so there is a (constant).

I have nothing to do with this ebay add, just an example of the adaptor.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mounted to the pinch weld so that the lights shine outward and down. This illuminates the running board perfectly. and they are low enough you can't see them unless you are far away or lower to the ground. I can send you a picture. I also mounted with the wiring to the back, as I connected all my wires to the trailer wiring via the CURT adaptor. I had to add an additional wire/splice to the 12V power (That is constant) to allow the lights to be illuminated for the running boards.

I would love a pic of where you have them setup. Only the 3m tape?

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got it all wired, setup and secured.

60” triple row tailgate light bar
Mounted to a shelving rail screwed in to all that uneven plastic back there. All smooth, level and clears the tailgate when opening /closing
I went with a cheap Amazon option because I was just going through trying to decide what I wanted, and where to mount it. If/when they fail, I’ll get an opt 7 most likely.

Opt 7 60” above each side steps. Sequential turns and white with the doors open
There is an option for them to run as running lights as well (orange strip on with any lights), which I wired in but also wired in a switch. Off for now as I don’t think I really want this. But if I change my mind, a quick flip near the spare turns that option on.

And a pair of white 60” in bed for extra light.

Too much daylight to show off everything but that reverse whites sure is bright against the fence!

b0968ce34d60dc94028e720d2c1fa135.jpg

Last edited:

redneck

Reaction score
ok so i need some help i just installed the brackets-spacers for my tail gate light bar i unpluged the tail gate & removed it when i pluged it back in it wont lock or un lock. the camera works & the power release works but no lock i checked the plug to make sure i didnt bend any pins in it all looks fine i made sure no screws were any where near a wire. does it need to be reset by the dealer?

Last edited:

Kilroy

Reaction score
ok so i need some help i just installed the brackets-spacers for my tail gate light bar i unpluged the tail gate & removed it when i pluged it back in it wont lock or un lock. the camera works & the power release works but no lock i checked the plug to make sure i didnt bend any pins in it all looks fine i made sure no screws were any where near a wire. does it need to be reset by the dealer?
Try this: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/2019-ram-1500-limited-tailgate-cannot-lock.2351/post-34382

redneck

Reaction score
that was the problem kinda the fob was in the house i guess to close & it would unlock when i touched it i thought it would make noise like the drivers door

Kilroy

Reaction score
that was the problem kinda the fob was in the house i guess to close & it would unlock when i touched it i thought it would make noise like the drivers door
Be sure where you mounted the lightbar that when you open and close the tailgate it doesn't make contact with the clips that you mounted the light bar with. I had to strategically place mine along with stand-offs and actually had to put a bit of a bow in the light bar to mount it so it cleared the bottom edge of the tailgate, AND be able to see the complete lightbar.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Finally installed my Putco Blade today. Very happy with it. I used the Putco harness to connect to the trailer plug. Super easy!
The signals are a little out of sync but it doesn't bother me 😁

redneck

Reaction score
Be sure where you mounted the lightbar that when you open and close the tailgate it doesn't make contact with the clips that you mounted the light bar with. I had to strategically place mine along with stand-offs and actually had to put a bit of a bow in the light bar to mount it so it cleared the bottom edge of the tailgate, AND be able to see the complete lightbar.
yes i used a dremel to cut some of the humps down in the plastic to get it to mount flat & clear the tail gate when open its really close about 1/8 clearance. i had to use 5/16 in spacers in the middle & nothing at the ends to get the bar flat

MerzkeM

Reaction score
yes i used a dremel to cut some of the humps down in the plastic to get it to mount flat & clear the tail gate when open its really close about 1/8 clearance. i had to use 5/16 in spacers in the middle & nothing at the ends to get the bar flat
Could you post some pictures of the mounting locations to include where you cut down the humps?

redneck

Reaction score
Could you post some pictures of the mounting locations to include where you cut down the humps?
sorry just saw this i was out of town i will see if i have any pics of the notching i used the metal clips the light bar came with & cut some small shims out of 5/16 aluminum stock for the center 2 mounting points & drilled thru them so i could screw the mounting clips & aluminum shims with a longer screw.

Users who are viewing this thread