5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

alvinm

Reaction score
Whoa, I'm getting more confused the further I read... I have the Putco quick connect and waiting on their light bar, so I won't get into that until I have everything. My question is whether anyone had issues mounting the 60" bar with the MFT? To me it looks like a simpler install than the regular tailgate, but you know how sometimes looks are deceiving.

davidn0021

Reaction score
Whoa, I'm getting more confused the further I read... I have the Putco quick connect and waiting on their light bar, so I won't get into that until I have everything. My question is whether anyone had issues mounting the 60" bar with the MFT? To me it looks like a simpler install than the regular tailgate, but you know how sometimes looks are deceiving.

You will definitely need spacers to mount over the cables that go to the door mechanism on the MFT itself. Even my split bar needed a spacer on the driver's side bar. I was able to mount the clips at the edges with no spacing issues and the bars themselves are kinda pliable.

alvinm

Reaction score
Did you mount it underneath that whole MFT brace thingy that goes the width of the bed? It's not in front of me now but I don't recall anything in the way. A picture of your setup would be awesome.

alvinm

Reaction score
Got home and took a second look and yeah, there are a couple of clearance issues, but nothing crazy.

davidn0021

Reaction score
Did you mount it underneath that whole MFT brace thingy that goes the width of the bed? It's not in front of me now but I don't recall anything in the way. A picture of your setup would be awesome.

Yep, that guy. I had my clip right to the right of it below the cable. For the 60" version, you could probably get away with only using 3 clips instead of all 4 and just have one more centered over the license plate instead. Then you'd just need a single spacer, about 1/2" should be good.

Ram Man 727

Reaction score
Are you waiting for your lightbar directly from Putco?.. I've been waiting for my 60" for about 5 weeks.. apparently a shortage of parts. 😕

Rammin BtoS AF

Reaction score
Are you waiting for your lightbar directly from Putco?.. I've been waiting for my 60" for about 5 weeks.. apparently a shortage of parts. 😕
I went with the 48" OPT7 amber, I haven't installed it yet as I am trying to figure out what to do around the camera connection. Has anyone else had an issue with the unplugging of the connections for the camera and lock mechanism to completely remove the tailgate (not MFT)?

Gitter

Reaction score
I went with the 48" OPT7 amber, I haven't installed it yet as I am trying to figure out what to do around the camera connection. Has anyone else had an issue with the unplugging of the connections for the camera and lock mechanism to completely remove the tailgate (not MFT)?

I unplugged my tailgate without issue while I did my install. 👍

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed mine with tailgate on. Yes, I dropped the screws a few times(even with magnetic tip) but I didn't want to risk damaging tailgate and it also allowed me to verify the tailgate cleared the light bar when it was opened. Pros and cons either way.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I didn't have any problem with the camera connection when I installed the 48" bar.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed my OPT7 triple LED light bar, today. Here's a few pics of where I mounted my clips for the tailgate to clear the light when opening and a couple of pics with the reverse lights on and off from my back-up camera. Thanks to the many members that have posted pics and given excellent info on the install of this light to new gen Rams. A couple of tips: ensure that the bottom of the light bar lines up with the top of the bumper cover (lesson I learned the hard way), and I used 1 inch long speaker mounting screws on the included clips with a c-clip fastener on the back of the plastic for stability. For a spacer , I used a 1/4" hard plastic spacer from a tv wall-mount kit I had leftover. I always keep extra stuff like this for a reason! lol Hope this helps others on this forum. View attachment 12836 View attachment 12837 View attachment 12838 View attachment 12839 View attachment 12840 View attachment 12841
what im looking at is that you placed the bottom of the clips right above the top of the bumper?

Kilroy

Reaction score
Whelp I just went and bought the light bar and spacers and saw for myself how it all went together. It was fairly simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That pretty high up compared to mine does the lip of the tailgate hit the light bar??? I had to mount mine really low to get it to clear the lower lip of the tailgate when I opens.

Users who are viewing this thread