5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surge when letting off brakes

ti3155

Reaction score
Hey , I have the same problem im so upset about it , It starts as soon as i hit my first 3000 miles , if its normal why we didn't noticed that when we test drive the car THIS IS BS!
Did they fixed it for you ? Thanks

ti3155

Reaction score
Just an update: it has been exactly one week since my truck got a new driveshaft under warranty. That seemed to make the bump/surge go away. It has now returned, though not nearly as harsh as before. I took a 400 mile trip to South Carolina and have been driving around down here all week, maybe 700 miles since the new shaft got put in.

Hey , any updates since then ? They found the problem?
Thanks

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Thanks
Unfortunately it is still an ongoing process. Since the driveshaft was replaced last year, it has been torn down and greased twice - the last time being this past April. It is still not resolved.

The good news is FCA is taking this seriously, and we are working together behind the scenes to get this right. Another driveshaft is inbound, and they've provided me with some other very generous assistance as well. I cannot say anything negative about their response.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks

Hi @ti3155 - I apologize that you are experiencing this concern. If you plan to address it with your dealer, please be sure to let me know via private message. I would be more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support through that process!

Mark
RamCares

ti3155

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is still an ongoing process. Since the driveshaft was replaced last year, it has been torn down and greased twice - the last time being this past April. It is still not resolved.

The good news is FCA is taking this seriously, and we are working together behind the scenes to get this right. Another driveshaft is inbound, and they've provided me with some other very generous assistance as well. I cannot say anything negative about their response.

Thank you very much
The dealer ordered a new drive shaft I cross my fingers to make this dissappear.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I have so many small things with my truck and after 33K Miles of visiting the dealer every other week, I stopped, I just don't go there anymore... I just live with those "nOrMaL" little problems and say "F that" when i feel it... I don't have time to deal with it anymore, And i'm pretty happy with the truck after i stopped worrying about the small stuff.... $58K truck... SMH.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I have so many small things with my truck and after 33K Miles of visiting the dealer every other week, I stopped, I just don't go there anymore... I just live with those "nOrMaL" little problems and say "F that" when i feel it... I don't have time to deal with it anymore, And i'm pretty happy with the truck after i stopped worrying about the small stuff.... $58K truck... SMH.
I'm starting to get there. I'll let them do the 4th attempt on the driveshaft, and if it still does it, then I guess it's just a bad design and I'll live with it.

They did get my rear window replaced quickly at least (developed the crack in the plastic surround, started to leak - so I couldn't ignore that one).

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine started doing this at about 2,000 miles. I’m at 5,000 now and still does it. It’s definitely annoying. I plan to let whatever it is, break. Then there won’t be a guessing game and the dealer will have to fix whatever it is under warranty.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting to get there. I'll let them do the 4th attempt on the driveshaft, and if it still does it, then I guess it's just a bad design and I'll live with it.

They did get my rear window replaced quickly at least (developed the crack in the plastic surround, started to leak - so I couldn't ignore that one).
I also have the crack in the rear window. Again, I don't care lol... As long as it doesn't leak, i'm not going to touch it or waste any more time at the dealership.

BGhorn2019

Reaction score
I have a 2019 new style and it has been doing this for 7 months, seems the dealership cant find the problem. This is my 3rd 1500 ram, never has this issue. What's my next step ???

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 2019 new style and it has been doing this for 7 months, seems the dealership cant find the problem. This is my 3rd 1500 ram, never has this issue. What's my next step ???

I am very sorry to hear this, please do not hesitate to send us a private message for further support as you work with your dealer!

Mark
RamCares

BGhorn2019

Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear this, please do not hesitate to send us a private message for further support as you work with your dealer!

Mark
RamCares
I will be going to the dealership next week, I appreciate this alot!!!

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
What do you think I should do then?

Send a message with your vehicle's info to RamCares so a preliminary case is opened. Someone from FCA's customer support team will contact you and get things moving. They've been a tremendous help for me. I'd love to share what all they have done for me, but I don't want to post that on here - however it's been very generous, and they will still do what it takes to get my truck's bumping fixed.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Send a message with your vehicle's info to RamCares so a preliminary case is opened. Someone from FCA's customer support team will contact you and get things moving. They've been a tremendous help for me. I'd love to share what all they have done for me, but I don't want to post that on here - however it's been very generous, and they will still do what it takes to get my truck's bumping fixed.
Did you get your problem solved?
The problem of course is not RamCares! They helped me a ton and they really did everything they can with my dealer trying to resolve this issue and many others. They problem is THERE IS NO FIX.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Did you get your problem solved?
The problem of course is not RamCares! They helped me a ton and they really did everything they can with my dealer trying to resolve this issue and many others. They problem is THERE IS NO FIX.

I'm still waiting on the 2nd replacement driveshaft to get here, but this time it is being checked for the correct amount of grease on the slip yoke splines before it goes on the truck. I still stand by that my original and its replacement were from a bad batch that didn't have any/enough grease. I believe Dana is the vendor for these, so it's probably been a widespread issue (I think the Wrangler even had a recall for this or a similar problem). The dealer did grease my replacement two subsequent times, but the damage was likely already there from thousands of miles of driving without.

The second time the dealer greased mine actually made a difference - but it would still present the problem on occasion, albeit not quite as harshly as before. A buddy of mine hypothesizes that due to the extra long 2-piece (technically 3) shaft and 3.92 gearing causing some torque against the system, it might be inherent to the design. I suppose I will see when the new one gets put on.

FCA did provide me with an extended service plan ("warranty") as one of their offerings for help, so I am not overly concerned about going forward driving it at least. It seems to be an annoying problem, more so than a critical failure waiting to happen, at least for as long as I'll own it. :)

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the 2nd replacement driveshaft to get here, but this time it is being checked for the correct amount of grease on the slip yoke splines before it goes on the truck. I still stand by that my original and its replacement were from a bad batch that didn't have any/enough grease. I believe Dana is the vendor for these, so it's probably been a widespread issue (I think the Wrangler even had a recall for this or a similar problem). The dealer did grease my replacement two subsequent times, but the damage was likely already there from thousands of miles of driving without.

The second time the dealer greased mine actually made a difference - but it would still present the problem on occasion, albeit not quite as harshly as before. A buddy of mine hypothesizes that due to the extra long 2-piece (technically 3) shaft and 3.92 gearing causing some torque against the system, it might be inherent to the design. I suppose I will see when the new one gets put on.

FCA did provide me with an extended service plan ("warranty") as one of their offerings for help, so I am not overly concerned about going forward driving it at least. It seems to be an annoying problem, more so than a critical failure waiting to happen, at least for as long as I'll own it. :)

I have recently started having this issue. If you can keep us updated with what happens that would be appreciated. Would like to avoid going to the dealer unless there’s a for sure fix. But with google searches, it seems like it’s been a problem since 2015 - current.

Users who are viewing this thread