5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surge when letting off brakes

ti3155

Reaction score
Mine started doing this at about 2,000 miles. I’m at 5,000 now and still does it. It’s definitely annoying. I plan to let whatever it is, break. Then there won’t be a guessing game and the dealer will have to fix whatever it is under warranty.

Hey , I have the same problem with my 2020 starts on around 4K miles , do you have any success with it ?

thanks

ti3155

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the 2nd replacement driveshaft to get here, but this time it is being checked for the correct amount of grease on the slip yoke splines before it goes on the truck. I still stand by that my original and its replacement were from a bad batch that didn't have any/enough grease. I believe Dana is the vendor for these, so it's probably been a widespread issue (I think the Wrangler even had a recall for this or a similar problem). The dealer did grease my replacement two subsequent times, but the damage was likely already there from thousands of miles of driving without.

The second time the dealer greased mine actually made a difference - but it would still present the problem on occasion, albeit not quite as harshly as before. A buddy of mine hypothesizes that due to the extra long 2-piece (technically 3) shaft and 3.92 gearing causing some torque against the system, it might be inherent to the design. I suppose I will see when the new one gets put on.

FCA did provide me with an extended service plan ("warranty") as one of their offerings for help, so I am not overly concerned about going forward driving it at least. It seems to be an annoying problem, more so than a critical failure waiting to happen, at least for as long as I'll own it. :)

great news wish you good luck my friend , they ordered a new driveshaft for me and it will be here around November , how can I get this extended warranty for my car I’m really worried that one day I will have to pay for repair for something like that , I purchase the car brand new .,

thanks again

ti3155

Reaction score
Hey , I have the same problem with my 2020 starts on around 4K miles , do you have any success with it ?

thanks
Just want to let you know I visit at the dealer 3 times they said it’s normal , until one tech Underwood (finally) there is a problem with the driveshaft , they ordered a new driveshaft and will install in NOV lol , let’s see if this solve the problem , FCA is great but the dealers sucks , except one that really did the job right ,

wish you good luck , I will keep you posted how it goes , please do the same ifthey found the problem , good luck

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
I’ve been noticing a surge/bump when cruising in 8th and then putting the pedal to the floor. It clunks/bumps then accelerates - the sensation is very jarring unpleasant. Doing the same in 7th, no bump/clunk. When moving the driveshaft with my hands manually under the truck, there definitely noticeable slack/play in the driveline, as well as a click/clack sound when twisting back and forth. Normal? I also have other random clunk/clank when shifting and accelerating. Related or similar to OP’s issue, maybe?

Here's a quick video of shifting back and forth from Drive to Reverse:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ti3155

Reaction score
great news wish you good luck my friend , they ordered a new driveshaft for me and it will be here around November , how can I get this extended warranty for my car I’m really worried that one day I will have to pay for repair for something like that , I purchase the car brand new .,

thanks again
So here is my update , they replaced the driveshaft and no bumps for now , I believe that was the problem , now .... I noticed something else.

when I’m cruising on 35 45 miles per hour sometimes when I’m trying to HOLD the speed on 35 or 45 AGAIN SOMETIMES I feel like a bump/crank from the gear/deiveshaft/drivetrain I’m not sure what it is , could be normal when I’m trying to hold the speed according to the speed limit , let’s say 34 or 45 , when I accelerate it does it , not all the time but sometimes , some days it does some days it doesn’t , maybe this is something to do with the 8 speed transmission? Like because it’s kinda hold the idle very low ?

thanks

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
So here is my update , they replaced the driveshaft and no bumps for now , I believe that was the problem , now .... I noticed something else.

when I’m cruising on 35 45 miles per hour sometimes when I’m trying to HOLD the speed on 35 or 45 AGAIN SOMETIMES I feel like a bump/crank from the gear/deiveshaft/drivetrain I’m not sure what it is , could be normal when I’m trying to hold the speed according to the speed limit , let’s say 34 or 45 , when I accelerate it does it , not all the time but sometimes , some days it does some days it doesn’t , maybe this is something to do with the 8 speed transmission? Like because it’s kinda hold the idle very low ?

thanks
Probably the ECO mode kicks in... it disables half of the cylinders to save on gas. Sometimes you can feel it as a kick/clank...
Look at the cluster when it happens and look for a green ECO light on the top left of the screen.

ti3155

Reaction score
Thank you , I was thinking the same way but it doesn’t, the problem is it doesn’t do this all the time and the dealer will not know what it is until it happens , also yes true i feel that CLICK on my foot when eco mode is activated .
It’s not the same click it’s more rough like GRRRR compare to the tick that happens when ECO mode is activated .
Thanks

HMC8403

Reaction score
To me the best way to describe the issue is:
1. I come to a complete stop and my Start-Stop turns off the engine.
2. I tap the gas to take off, but I haven't started moving yet.
2.5 Seems like a delay of signal from accelerator to the Start-Stop to wake up.
3. Not moving yet so, I press harder on the gas.
4. Start-Stop finally receives signal and starts engine. Since the gas peddle is halfway down, the truck jumps forward.

Honestly I can't remember the last time this has happened. I think I subconsciously came in sync with my truck and now gas it a certain way to avoid the jumping.

ti3155

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is still an ongoing process. Since the driveshaft was replaced last year, it has been torn down and greased twice - the last time being this past April. It is still not resolved.

The good news is FCA is taking this seriously, and we are working together behind the scenes to get this right. Another driveshaft is inbound, and they've provided me with some other very generous assistance as well. I cannot say anything negative about their response.

Hi , I guess I'm back again lol .
So I start feeling after adding almost 5k miles on the replaced driveshaft I start experiencing the same issue NOT as bad as it was before but here and there THIS IS SO ANNOYING tbh , any updates on your case ?
Hope the problem go away for you 😊

beanz690

Reaction score
I recently bought a used 2019 Laramie with 11k miles on it. I also noticed this small jerk when letting off the brakes. To me it feels like there is a small gap somewhere in the transmission. It reminds me of one of my motorcycle that jerks when you are slowing down off the throttle and then get on the gas again, there's a little play between the engine brake and the throttle but you can tell its the transmission.

I'm getting used to it, all cars have their quirks so I try not to get too worried about it. My Mercedes has this really loud clunk noise from the rear brakes when reversing, its like the calipers or pads are loose and when they engage they slide and bang against the brackets. I've gone to Mercedes twice about it and they checked everything and said its normal, go figure.

cwolawrence

Reaction score
This is my second 2019 that does it. Both started about 3-4k miles. Feels like driveshaft, brakes, rear-end, transmission or something binding up then slipping back in to place. Would love to put cameras in various locations to monitor during braking, then brake release. The harder I brake the harder the binding release is. It was nice not to have it on my new truck, but it rear it ugly head in about 4 months.

RsC29

Reaction score
I bought a 2013 big horn with 70k and I feel it after a week, it is a random thing so I brought it to the dealer as we speak and they "never heard" of something like that and they are checking drive shaft, brakes and shifter $$$
I will update the conclusions.

RsC29

Reaction score
So far.. nothing they checked brakes, shaft shifter, spare tire, gas tank and more and the conclusion was "is one of those things that sometimes happens" so I guess I couldn't help this time.

Tjdiaz14

Reaction score
Im having same problems with my 2020 Ram 1500…. It start after 5000 miles… I went to the dealer ( Napleton Kissimmee FL)… by the way worst customer service ever, but anyway, I have been there for multiple issues with my truck and they didn’t find anything…the same response as always; “we can’t duplicate the problem” or “we did an update on the computer software “. I guess someday soon I will sell my Lemon…🤷🏻‍♂️

Randy537

Reaction score
Reading this was very disencouraging, my 2019 22k miles have the same problem 😭😡😭😡😭😡 .They already did tcm flash and restore configuration with quick lead ok, they road test from the technician was ok but 30 miles later it was back. Stopping for more than 3 seconds is becoming a nightmare. Do we have any solution yet...

Thanks...

Attachments

• 20210723_185743.jpg
    20210723_185743.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 22

BackCountryinNJ

banned at member request but still lurking
Reaction score
Reviving an older post.... I guess the problem still has not been corrected for the 2022's. My truck has about 1400 miles on it and this has already happened several times to me. The best way to explain is like what was mentioned early in this post. In slow moving, stop and go traffic, it literally feels like a small car bumped you from behind causing you to surge. I have the 3.92's and non e-torque. Anyone else still having the problem? Has it been narrowed down to the driveshaft? Trans isssues?

lamerem

Reaction score
2022 Ram 1500 w/eTorque 5.7 (25k miles on the odometer, purchased new in 09/2022) with the same issues. Come to a stop and then release the brakes, a small bump like the truck is dropping in to gear. It does it when the truck shuts off at the stop and when it doesn't. It's almost as if while slowing down and the truck is downshifting, it never gets to first gear before I come to a stop. Then when I release the brake, it shifts into gear. The caveat is that if I have it in Tow/Haul mode, the truck never does it... Interesting, so it would seem a programming error, right? When in Tow/Haul the truck downshifts more aggressively, thus using the gears to slow the truck and load it is pulling.

I took it to the dealer two weeks ago and had the following TSBs performed:
  • 21-034-22
  • 18-160-22
  • 08-093-22 REV.B
These are all reprogramming TSBs for the TCM and PCM. I noticed a change that lasted maybe a day or two. However, the issue is back in full-force now. I have noticed a clunk that is intermittent if I'm decelerating and then press the gas, usually when turning a corner. I love this truck over the 2021 Silverado I traded for it, but this issue makes me dislike driving it.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I experience this surge somewhat frequently every week day but only after first start in the morning on the way to work. Never any other time during the day. I start the truck and back out of my driveway. Upon reaching the first stop sign about 150 yds away, sometimes it does it. Seems like on a complete stop. Other times if I roll through that stop sign I don't feel it. Then when I get about a mile down the road there is a stop light and if I have to stop there It will SOMETIMES do the surge when I stop. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all. It is very momentary but very noticeable. It is never enough to surge me forward more than I intended and no problem to control. After the first surge it doesn't happen again that day.

I am leaving it alone as it is not causing me any real problem and has been doing it since about 15k miles.

irishwake63

Reaction score
I have this same thing with my 22 LH and had the same issue with my 2019 Classic they said it was a driveshaft and replaced in the 2019 it returned a couple weeks after and I ended up trading the truck for an F150 now Im back to Ram and same problem persist sometimes its light and sometimes feels like tranny slipping. Looks like its a well know issue happening to many hopefully they figure it out and issue a recall

Users who are viewing this thread