5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunshade/sunroof issue

jakemyster84

Reaction score
Well 4 days in and still not fixed, a bit of progress at least today. They assigned a new tech to the case at Ram who is a higher level tech. This tech believes the sunroof is in "logic lock" as the service advisor said. They tried to reset the system to get it out of being locked but I guess it didn't work. So they plan on trying it again tomorrow and have some other plan. Hopefully day 5 is the lucky day for me to get it fixed. Tomorrow I will have owned it for 7 days and it will have been at the dealer ship for 5 of those days, bummer.

jakemyster84

Reaction score
after 8 days they replaced the sunshade and sunroof motors. That worked and I finally have my truck back,

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
after 8 days they replaced the sunshade and sunroof motors. That worked and I finally have my truck back,

Thank you for taking the time to share, very glad to hear you have your truck back @jakemyster84! If you are ever in need of any additional support down the road, we are always just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

JPM88

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I Am Experiencing a similar instance of my sunroof / sunshade not working.

The Strange Thing is I have a rear sliding glass, where The overhead switch works for that switch ONLY, but the sunroof and the shade and the tilt switches feature all don't work; however, they are illuminated. I Pulled down the cluster re-seated all the harness connection's. and gave all the fuses a run with the test light and physically pushed them all the way in both boxes under the hood and under the driver's side footwell. Guess I'm Going To Have To Go to the dealer...

@RamCares my VIN is 1C6SRFLT8KN920897 2019 RAM REBEL 1500 CREW PICKUP

RamCares

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I Am Experiencing a similar instance of my sunroof / sunshade not working.

The Strange Thing is I have a rear sliding glass, where The overhead switch works for that switch ONLY, but the sunroof and the shade and the tilt switches feature all don't work; however, they are illuminated. I Pulled down the cluster re-seated all the harness connection's. and gave all the fuses a run with the test light and physically pushed them all the way in both boxes under the hood and under the driver's side footwell. Guess I'm Going To Have To Go to the dealer...

I regret to hear that you are also experiencing this concern, @JPM88. Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if you would be interested in an additional layer of support as you address this with your dealer. We are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support.

Mark
RamCares

jakemyster84

Reaction score

@RamCares my VIN is 1C6SRFLT8KN920897 2019 RAM REBEL 1500 CREW PICKUP

I had the exact same thing you just described, they replaced both the sunroof and sunshade motors and we are back and working again. Plan on leaving your truck at the dealership for a few days while they figure it out.

JPM88

Reaction score
Say it ain't so Jake, ::sigh::
Hey Did they Provide you with alternative means of transport ie: Loaner Car ?

thanks,

jakemyster84

Reaction score
Say it ain't so Jake, ::sigh::
Hey Did they Provide you with alternative means of transport ie: Loaner Car ?

thanks,
yes the dealership I now go to now provides a free of charge loaner. (a "fantastic" 2019 Chrysler T&C) The previous dealership I used to go to would charge $30 a day for a loaner, part of the reason I don't go there anymore.

JPM88

Reaction score
.. I will not drive a mini van , I will not drive a mini van , I will not drive oh what’s that a free loaner I’ll take the minivan lolol

Shawn740v

Reaction score
I regret to hear that you are also experiencing this concern, @JPM88. Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if you would be interested in an additional layer of support as you address this with your dealer. We are more than willing to escalate a case on your behalf for further support.

Mark
RamCares

Hi rRamCares, I hate to jump on the bandwagon but I’m going through the same exact issues. My only caveat is I drive 30,000 miles annually and am already out of warranty. My dealership said they can’t help me and was hoping someone Could.
I’d be happy to send whatever information you need. Please help!!

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi rRamCares, I hate to jump on the bandwagon but I’m going through the same exact issues. My only caveat is I drive 30,000 miles annually and am already out of warranty. My dealership said they can’t help me and was hoping someone Could.
I’d be happy to send whatever information you need. Please help!!

I apologize for the frustration, please do not hesitate to send over additional details via private message so that we may determine how to best assist you at this point!

Mark
RamCares

TruckGirl19

Reaction score
@Splatter did you get yours fixed? Unfortunately mine is doing the same exact thing and dealership is no help since mine is outside warranty. I have tried the fuses and all of them seem in good working condition.

Splatter

Reaction score
@TruckGirl i just re-read this thread again and upon arriving at the last message, realize that was me about a year ago. Still having the same issue. It’s an ankle biter, because only use it when the kids want “vacation mode” which happens only occasionally. I tried re-seating the fuse under the steering column - no luck. Tried pulling the console and broke the tabs in the process (word of caution, folks: be careful with the tabs!). Bought a used “working” overhead console from a parts place to no avail. It was the same part number, but from a newer truck. No joy- but I don’t know if the switch was actually working when I got it.

As others have discovered, the glass panel motor and the sunshade motor work. If I hold the “down” side of the VENT switch past roof and shade being closed, and continue to hold it, it will continue to cycle the shade open. If I keep holding it after the shade is completely open, the panel tilts and retracts. If at any point during this very long holding of the switch I release it, either the shade or panel will stop. If I resume the long press mid-cycle (either shade or roof not all the way open, which always has to happen in that order), the cycle will reverse until the roof and shade are completely closed again.

The obvious culprit seems to be a busted switch panel with the only working function being the aforementioned “safety” closure. I’m only guessing, though. My local dealership last year didn’t recognize it as a common problem, but I am starting to have my unfounded doubts about how rare the problem actually is.

My next troubleshooting/diagnostic step is going to be to buy a new switch (just the little box with four buttons) that installs inside the overhead console. It was a pain to get the console open using about three small trim tools simultaneously to pry it open after removing 4 small screws (T-9). Once the console is cracked open, the switch itself is easy to replace with a few more T-9 screws and careful prying. If I recall correctly, the switch is about $65 new online, and about $50 on eBay. The part number on my switch is 6EM26TX7AC.

Fortunately, I drive something else daily (52mpg plug-in hybrid - yay - way better than the 14 on the truck)… and can leave the truck torn apart until I figure it out. At this point it’s curiosity and the principle of the matter.

PS. I don’t think the new switch is going to fix it, but am working from least expensive and time intensive to most.

maranos

Reaction score
I really hate to add to this thread, but also feel some weird comfort by the fact that it's not a one off issue.

I just recently got myself a '23 1500 Laramie and am absolutely loving it. I had a tradesman years ago and then got rid of it for a Durango the last 7 years. But, it feels good to be home in a pickup! Everything about it is great. EXCEPT the moonroof.

Same exact issues as outlined above. The moonroof specific switches (open, vent, shade) aren't working. But the power rear slider switch is fine. All of the other functions of that top center panel are working. It was just hours later after I bought the truck that I realized this problem, and that very same day I started some of the troubleshooting myself. Holding the switches for 10+ seconds, etc. I got into the fusebox and confirmed that the fuse isn't blown and it seemed to be seated properly. If it wasn't then it sure is now but still no dice.

I made an appointment with my local dealership and the experience there was absolutely terrible. First, although I had an appointment they didn't get my vehicle even inside the service bay for 2 hours. After pulling down that upper center switch cluster and checking everything with a multi-meter they said everything there was working properly. Then they did some kind of "reset" and it worked fine and I drove off a happy customer.

Now it's a couple weeks later and it's not working again. Same exact symptoms. I'm curious if anyone knows how they reset it, is there some kind of like OBD tool they plug into to do that, or some secret sequence of buttons? If I can get away with it I'd like to just try to manually reset it again and see if that resolves the issue.

I ALSO HAVE A THEORY! @RamCares maybe this something that can be passed on to engineering. It may just be coincidence but just prior to going out when it stopped working for the second time I had been looking at the Ram Connect app. I was also looking at this app at the dealership before I drove off the lot when it didn't work the first time. My understanding that functions like remote honk / start / lock & unlock are powered by SiriusXM Guardian right? And that is interfaced with the Ram Connect app? Is it possible there's some kind of coding or logic issue when it comes to security features thru Guardian and causing the moonroof system to lockdown??

RamCares

Reaction score
@TruckGirl i just re-read this thread again and upon arriving at the last message, realize that was me about a year ago. Still having the same issue. It’s an ankle biter, because only use it when the kids want “vacation mode” which happens only occasionally. I tried re-seating the fuse under the steering column - no luck. Tried pulling the console and broke the tabs in the process (word of caution, folks: be careful with the tabs!). Bought a used “working” overhead console from a parts place to no avail. It was the same part number, but from a newer truck. No joy- but I don’t know if the switch was actually working when I got it.

As others have discovered, the glass panel motor and the sunshade motor work. If I hold the “down” side of the VENT switch past roof and shade being closed, and continue to hold it, it will continue to cycle the shade open. If I keep holding it after the shade is completely open, the panel tilts and retracts. If at any point during this very long holding of the switch I release it, either the shade or panel will stop. If I resume the long press mid-cycle (either shade or roof not all the way open, which always has to happen in that order), the cycle will reverse until the roof and shade are completely closed again.

The obvious culprit seems to be a busted switch panel with the only working function being the aforementioned “safety” closure. I’m only guessing, though. My local dealership last year didn’t recognize it as a common problem, but I am starting to have my unfounded doubts about how rare the problem actually is.

My next troubleshooting/diagnostic step is going to be to buy a new switch (just the little box with four buttons) that installs inside the overhead console. It was a pain to get the console open using about three small trim tools simultaneously to pry it open after removing 4 small screws (T-9). Once the console is cracked open, the switch itself is easy to replace with a few more T-9 screws and careful prying. If I recall correctly, the switch is about $65 new online, and about $50 on eBay. The part number on my switch is 6EM26TX7AC.

Fortunately, I drive something else daily (52mpg plug-in hybrid - yay - way better than the 14 on the truck)… and can leave the truck torn apart until I figure it out. At this point it’s curiosity and the principle of the matter.

PS. I don’t think the new switch is going to fix it, but am working from least expensive and time intensive to most.
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear that this is an ongoing issue for you. Have you reached out to your local Ram dealer at all for assistance with this? If at any point you decide to go that route, do know we are available via private message for additional support.

Lex
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
I really hate to add to this thread, but also feel some weird comfort by the fact that it's not a one off issue.

I just recently got myself a '23 1500 Laramie and am absolutely loving it. I had a tradesman years ago and then got rid of it for a Durango the last 7 years. But, it feels good to be home in a pickup! Everything about it is great. EXCEPT the moonroof.

Same exact issues as outlined above. The moonroof specific switches (open, vent, shade) aren't working. But the power rear slider switch is fine. All of the other functions of that top center panel are working. It was just hours later after I bought the truck that I realized this problem, and that very same day I started some of the troubleshooting myself. Holding the switches for 10+ seconds, etc. I got into the fusebox and confirmed that the fuse isn't blown and it seemed to be seated properly. If it wasn't then it sure is now but still no dice.

I made an appointment with my local dealership and the experience there was absolutely terrible. First, although I had an appointment they didn't get my vehicle even inside the service bay for 2 hours. After pulling down that upper center switch cluster and checking everything with a multi-meter they said everything there was working properly. Then they did some kind of "reset" and it worked fine and I drove off a happy customer.

Now it's a couple weeks later and it's not working again. Same exact symptoms. I'm curious if anyone knows how they reset it, is there some kind of like OBD tool they plug into to do that, or some secret sequence of buttons? If I can get away with it I'd like to just try to manually reset it again and see if that resolves the issue.

I ALSO HAVE A THEORY! @RamCares maybe this something that can be passed on to engineering. It may just be coincidence but just prior to going out when it stopped working for the second time I had been looking at the Ram Connect app. I was also looking at this app at the dealership before I drove off the lot when it didn't work the first time. My understanding that functions like remote honk / start / lock & unlock are powered by SiriusXM Guardian right? And that is interfaced with the Ram Connect app? Is it possible there's some kind of coding or logic issue when it comes to security features thru Guardian and causing the moonroof system to lockdown??
Hi there,

We're sorry to hear you are experiencing a similar concern. Since this is occurring again, have you considered revisitng the dealer for further assistance? Or visiting another dealer in your area for a second opinion? If you choose to go the dealership route at any time, please feel free to send us a private message for some additional support.

Lex
Ram Cares

Splatter

Reaction score
For anyone with sun shade / sun roof issues, who might also still be following along on this thread, @Cbty2050 posted a calibration procedure on different thread (Sunshade/sun roof Won’t Open) as a potential fix to this problem. **the re-initialization and object detection calibration procedure fixed my issue.** A description of my sun shade / sun roof is a couple of posts earlier in this thread: essentially, only the close side of the roof switch worked to cycle the shade and roof through a slow open/close process.

Many thanks to the Ram fam. All the credit to @Cbty2050 whose post was the first I saw mention this procedure. Discussing this issue with different service advisors at several CDJR dealerships never illuminated this calibration procedure as a possible solution - amazing.

Attachments

• CALIBRATION.pdf
    93.2 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread