5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wheel Leather

Tommy R

Reaction score
I've got a couple issues with the steering wheel on my Rebel, purchased new in January of 2019.

1. The leather surface gets tacky feeling and feels like it start pulling away the outer part of the leather. It's worse if you have any kind of lotion on your hands. As a result I often find myself holding the wheel differently from normal and that shouldn't be the case. Having the heater on the wheel makes it worse, as well.

2. The steering wheel heater is crazy hot. It warms up super quickly and will easily get excessively hot, IMO. I wish there was a middle heat setting. Conversely, the seat heaters are hardly noticeable! I can even use them in the summer without getting uncomfortable. :( Dealer said the temps I'm getting are normal, but I doubt it.

3. I don't have visible wear on the wheel (yet), but I can see what looks like the outline of the heating elements showing through the leather a bit. Makes it look cheap and I'm concerned for its durability.

@RamCares have you received any similar comments from other owners?
Thanks,
Tommy

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. I had that issue in my last truck (Ford F-250). I used to not pay attention to how clean my hands were when I drove until that happened. I cleaned the wheel and started making sure my hands were washed/cleaned before driving and that helped with the tackiness. I have not had that problem yet with my RAM but I do make sure my hands are clean before I drive.

2. My wheel was crazy hot too when I bought my truck, so much so I had to either cycle the heat or switch hands as it felt like I was going to get blisters.. I had a peeling wheel and the replacement is comfortably warm now. My dad's 2020 Limited wheel was the same but a recent OTA update seems to have lowered it to warm. He's had a couple of updates for his 12" whereas there's never been an update for my 8.4" NAV since I bought the truck in March 2019.

3. I can make out the element outline in my wheel too. Both the original wheel and my replacement have the outlines. The leather is tight so is going to show any outlines through it. I don't even notice it any more.

TxAg98

Reaction score
So I'll admit I haven't read the whole thread, but Im wondering if wedding rings or similar are having something to do with this? I know I drive with my left hand at the 12 o'clock position. Mines a '21, so I haven't noticed anything yet, but I could see this being an issue.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sure it has its effect, all research shows it’s not a very wear friendly. That’s why I’m just keeping a eye out for a limited wheel and replace oem.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine wore through on the front. When I grip the wheel my ring is on the back of the wheel.

I'm sure that the hard ring accelerates wear at the touch points but that's not where my wheel started peeling.

I would have loved to upgrade to the Limited wheel (my dad's Limited has the carbon fiber wheel and it's very nice) but since FCA was replacing it for free under warranty I was more than happy to accept a brand new replacement wheel at no cost to me.

MacDuff

Reaction score
For my part, I work in a dealership service department and I'm well aware of the effects of chemicals, etc. on peoples hands that can cause this sort of thing with leather. Being aware of it, I am extremely switched on to it, and avoided any chemicals on my hands as much as I possibly could and I still had this problem. 100% an issue with the leather on these trucks. Just wish I'd caught mine before 36k miles. Even though my truck is a 2019, it didn't become problematic until just out of warranty.
I paid for and installed a new steering wheel from a limited with wood on top to keep it from happening again.

MacDuff

Reaction score
What did you pay for it? You have a part #
The parts ran around $420 with a "wholesale discount", I'm in the automotive industry. Sadly the insert was actually MORE than the wheel which seems strange??
Sam at Koons Dodge in Tysons Corner Virginia is my go to guy and the part numbers were as follows:
Steering wheel: 6XR9827X7AA
Insert: 7AW00TX7AA
Definitely give a call and ask for him as he will be familiar with what you need. FWIW, I don't work for Koons, he's just always been very helpful.

I have a Laramie which seems to be one wire short for heating the wooden upper part of the steering wheel.
Other than the wood, good to go on heating the leather portion of the wheel nicely.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^^Much appreciated on the info.I wasn’t aware had to grab insert good stuff.

Last edited:

MacDuff

Reaction score
^^^^Much appreciated on the info.I wasn’t aware had to grab insert good stuff.
Yep, I thought I was in it cheaper than expected until they hit me with the wood insert price. Downright painful for what it was...
And the swap over of all the buttons and switches is certainly not for the faint of heart.

bhfear

Reaction score
I am on my 2nd wheel now, When I purchase my 19 laramie it had 20K miles The wheel was wrinkled enough to bother me so i replaced it, Now I am at 35k Miles and I just installed another new wheel because the top of that one the "leather" is basically coming off.
I purchased another new black leather heated one on ebay for $150ish part number 6XS002X7AB
I to also think the heated gets to hot
& I drove my 13 ram to 155k miles on the orig wheel with no issues
& i drove my 01 chevy to 210k miles on the orig wheel with no issues
I have had everyone tell me online from Lotions to dirty hands to poor diet and acidic skin oils, I think thats all an excuse for poor materials used on these 5th gens

MxRacer965

Reaction score
Picked up a CPO 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn 2 days ago and was really disappointed with the condition of the steering wheel, looks like it has been in a truck with triple the miles. Guess this is common!

My last FCA vehicle was a 2011 Grand Cherokee Summit that I had for 9 years until I replaced it with a ’19 Expedition Max Platinum. Still have the Jeep though. Wheel is in much better shape, but it also has black wood at 12:00.

My wheel doesn’t heat up much, especially compared to the Jeep, the Expedition, or the wife’s Lincoln. I may have them check and replace it if it is out of spec. If the dealer checks and it is not out of spec (and won’t replace), it looks like just the wheel 6XS002X7AB is just over $100. I don’t mind spending that if I have to. Is that the right P/N though? From bhfear’s post above I assume yes? I also saw reference to switching all the electronics over as being difficult/time consuming? Any write ups on this? I’m perfectly comfortable and able working on cars but having some idea would be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread