5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wheel Leather

TLOC

Reaction score
thus rendering the heated steering wheel useless
If this is referring to the WheelSkins, then absolutely wrong, the wheelskin is a piece of dyed raw leather that you cinch tight around the steering wheel with the supplied coated thread, heat comes through amazing and looks better than the stock wheel...

TLOC

Reaction score
Sure, to a degree, but considering how tight these wheelskins are cinched down, the heat will still be effective and the wheel will look and feel amazing. Buy one, install it and if you're not impressed I'll send you the $60...deal? I'm in the south and will rarely use the heated wheel so no worries here...

YellowSled

Reaction score
I havent even driven my new truck yet, but ill take that into consideration. :) Not sure how much heating of the wheel ill be doing in south Florida anyways. :D

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wheelskin is legit, have had it on 3 different vehicles, and was still looking fresh the day I got rid of every one. Installed myself on all, and not too bad to do. You have to not be afraid to tear/rip the leather when stitching it, it is TOUGH, don't be skeered. Haven't looked to see if they offer one for DT Rams, but I doubt it. With the wrap that's on the wheel currently, plus the Wheelskin, would make for a very thick feel. You can probably get it by size, which a 15" diameter should work.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These steering wheels get pretty darn hot (use mine often in PA) and you would prob feel the heat through almost any cover unless it's like a big furry one or something :LOL: . Numbers don't lie...

Saw this posted in another thread....
1326ADBF-C27F-460B-9AB5-738E2A93F8A3.jpeg

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wheelskin is legit, have had it on 3 different vehicles, and was still looking fresh the day I got rid of every one. Installed myself on all, and not too bad to do. You have to not be afraid to tear/rip the leather when stitching it, it is TOUGH, don't be skeered. Haven't looked to see if they offer one for DT Rams, but I doubt it. With the wrap that's on the wheel currently, plus the Wheelskin, would make for a very thick feel. You can probably get it by size, which a 15" diameter should work.
Maybe FCA should contract wheelskin to manufacture their steering wheel leather :unsure:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
so and additional layer of leather wouldn't act as a insulator?
I havent even driven my new truck yet, but ill take that into consideration. :) Not sure how much heating of the wheel ill be doing in south Florida anyways. :D

As someone posted earlier showing the temps, the heated steering wheel gets hot in these trucks very quickly. You will actually be in discomfort holding the leather portions after a bit unless you are wearing gloves. I find myself holding the wood upper portion or turning it off.

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
I’m wondering if they changed this at all? My wheel (truck manufactured 1/20) is warm but I would not ever say it was near uncomfortably hot.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m wondering if they changed this at all? My wheel (truck manufactured 1/20) is warm but I would not ever say it was near uncomfortably hot.
Eh I don't think so. My 3/20 build truck feel just as hot as my earlier built trucks - too hot after 10-20 minutes. The geniuses put 3 levels for the heated and cooled seats, but didn't think to put different heat levels for the steering wheel too? Big miss there.

Livinfast85

Reaction score
FINALLY after 8 months, the ram dealership replaced my steering wheel! I believe @RamCares had a hand in this and I appreciate it. The not so awesome part was driving less than 75 yards and see that the oh so awesome techs put my steering wheel on WAY crooked! I HAD TO HAVE my truck this week so i had no choice to fix it myself. Did a little write up linked below if anyone needs to remove or replace their steering wheel.

And here is the awesome job the dealer did! Which also makes the traction control go crazy when you try to change lanes.
20200518_145638.jpg

Memphsi87

Reaction score
Yea mine does not get hot at all, just warm which is fine, as long as it’s doing something

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine gets comfortably warm, and no where near too hot.

I'm concerned about this happening to mine. I've had it happen on GM trucks I've owned in the past. If it does I'll definitely try to have the warranty cover replacement costs, but I'll probably shell out the money for a Limited or Longhorn steering wheel and sell the brand-new Laramie wheel. I almost exclusively grip the top 1/3 of the wheel, so It's not likely I'd ever have the problem again if that portion is wood.

Users who are viewing this thread