5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wheel Leather

Rossicoe

Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with the durability of the steering wheel leather? I'm on my second steering wheel and the area i rest my hand at (12 o'clock) is disintegrating after only 5000 miles. Do I have toxic hand sweat or something? Our Yukon has held up just fine after 45,000 miles. My 2005 Laramie did fin as well with over 120,000. China.....?
I have the same exact problem with my steering wheel 2019 Ram Rebel 5200 miles

Attachments

• B95B337D-1289-4EED-B9A8-61E68B70CBDE.jpeg
    B95B337D-1289-4EED-B9A8-61E68B70CBDE.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 192

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Good idea. I guess I’m kind of giving up on this truck. I’ve had a lot of issues with it. Thanks for the suggestion
Dont give up. I have had literally ALL the issues. It just comes with the territory when purchasing a first year run vehicle!

Fooleo44

Reaction score
I'm now on steering wheel number 3. Dodge is saying that's all they're going to do. I asked if I could upgrade to the Laramie wrap and covering the cost since it has a faux plastic finish at the top and was told "no" without any explanation as to why.

On to my other relentless issue, squealing front brakes....(separate topic)

rah6887

Reaction score
Cut back on your salt intake :)

Jk, although I do think that that plays a role, sweat etc..
I myself have never had any issues with previous Rams, or any other vehicles.
I've had my new 1500 2 weeks, I went to Advance and put on one of them cheesy leather wraps, just to be safe.

PriceNBTX

Reaction score
Is anyone else having issues with the durability of the steering wheel leather? I'm on my second steering wheel and the area i rest my hand at (12 o'clock) is disintegrating after only 5000 miles. Do I have toxic hand sweat or something? Our Yukon has held up just fine after 45,000 miles. My 2005 Laramie did fin as well with over 120,000. China.....?

I have less than 1,300 miles on my 2019 Laramie and I can already see where mine is starting to wrinkle at the top of the steering wheel. How many miles do you have to reach before they will deny getting you a new one? It’s ridiculous that this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soaclgordon

Reaction score
I have the SAME ISSUE, local dealer is "oh that wear and tare". I called ********. They still wont budge. Any suggestions?

PriceNBTX

Reaction score
I have the SAME ISSUE, local dealer is "oh that wear and tare". I called ********. They still wont budge. Any suggestions?

Honestly it depends on if they want to work with you. I call BS when you have low mileage and it wears out before even the “bumper to bumper” warranty is out. All I can say is I’ve stopped “palming” my steering wheel. It’s a soft leather that feels great. Just wears out quick!

soaclgordon

Reaction score
Honestly it depends on if they want to work with you. I call BS when you have low mileage and it wears out before even the “bumper to bumper” warranty is out. All I can say is I’ve stopped “palming” my steering wheel. It’s a soft leather that feels great. Just wears out quick!

My truck is currently at the dealership on other issues (seat fan noise, usb hub / carplay not working etc). My bumper to bumper runs out in about 400 miles. Im trying to get them to replace it but they are not willing to entertain the idea.

PriceNBTX

Reaction score
My truck is currently at the dealership on other issues (seat fan noise, usb hub / carplay not working etc). My bumper to bumper runs out in about 400 miles. Im trying to get them to replace it but they are not willing to entertain the idea.

What is the seat fan noise? Mine is noticeable when I turn on ventilated seats but what should I be looking out for?

kblast523

Reaction score
My steering wheel being replaced at 8,500 miles because someone scratched it from 700 o'clock on the face, to 900 o'clock on the back across the outer surface, when replacing headliner that was improperly installed in Michigan. Mine's been in the shop all but 10 days since October 14....see other posts under 'Dealer disinterest".

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have wood... :p
But what you're experiencing is def not normal.

Konrad

Reaction score
That is definitely not normal. We bought one one of our BigHorns with 16k on the odometer and from a rental company (Enterprise). The steering wheel leather is like new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bufo

Reaction score
My steering wheel is getting replaced due to the stitching coming loose. But the leather seems ok. 7000 miles on truck.

Attachments

• 72BE5967-CB33-42A3-A923-34EBF0AE331A.jpeg
    72BE5967-CB33-42A3-A923-34EBF0AE331A.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 126

PriceNBTX

Reaction score
My steering wheel is getting replaced due to the stitching coming loose. But the leather seems ok. 7000 miles on truck.

It looks like one thread??? Did you pull it to make it loose therefore getting a new one

Bufo

Reaction score
It looks like one thread??? Did you pull it to make it loose therefore getting a new one

Haha no. There are actually a couple threads missing if you look closely. They are just on the backside of the wheel. If a coupe came loose in 7000 miles I don’t want half of them loose down the road.

TireSlayer

Reaction score
I don't rest my hand at the 12 o'clock, but mine is worn. Dealer ordered a replacement under warranty.

nlicalsi91

Reaction score
Thats not full grain leather, its bonded some of the cheapest you can get. I am about to lease a 2020 Laramie at my local dealership. Im going to trade in my 2015 Wrangler Unlimited with 69,500 miles. The leather seats and steering wheel in that are still in phenomenal shape. I'm a bit worried seeing this

Users who are viewing this thread