5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering no return to center (left turns)

MFALRAM

Reaction score
If your talking about Ram Cares on the forum they did and created a case number in which you then have to wait for a case manager to be assigned and contact you which does take a little bit. Without going into a long story it essentially came down to if the dealer is unable to replicate there is nothing they can do. They initially offered a small amount of money or oil change package due to the inconvenience. After the rest of the conversation we never went back to that discussion. I’m not too concerned with that part I just want my truck to be right or replaced with an identical truck without these issues. They did offer to escalate it to the arbitration or whatever it is called but I would assume that is pointless considering it has not been replicated. I asked if they could reach out to the engineers since I know this isn’t an isolated problem since it has been brought up on multiple forums but that didn’t produce any solutions. Now the discussion is maybe putting a data recorder in the steering column that records vibrations and such but on a common sense standpoint I am not confident it will no the difference between bumps, regular steering movements and when the steering sticks. And they are not sure if they can even do that yet. I have now gone into a long story. Lol! I have always had good support from Ram Cares in the past but I don’t see this one being rectified without a recall, TSB or something. So I don’t know if outside of what I’ve already tried if I need to just film it happening and get a lawyer or what I am going to do. Sorry about the long post.
That is one of the things I did I filmed it going around a left hand turn and I let go of the steering wheel and filmed it going around the corner stuck turning left then finally breaking free. I showed it to them but they still have to replicate it. With mine they did and a steering rack was put in and took care of problem.

Douglas31

Reaction score
My dealer ended up getting the tsb i posted above approved from ram, even though my build date doesn't line up. New steering rack is on order. They were never able to duplicate the issue. I did send them this thread to show it is very hard to duplicate based on other reports.

Is there anyway you can find a route that will reliably duplicate? 30 minutes at 75mph was enough to warm mine up so you could feel it on any sharp turn above 45mph
I wish it was that easy. The local speed limit here on the interstates is 55 and mainly straight so it takes a little longer to get where the speed limits are higher and have turns capable of replicating the problem.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
I wish it was that easy. The local speed limit here on the interstates is 55 and mainly straight so it takes a little longer to get where the speed limits are higher and have turns capable of replicating the problem.

That's rough. Mine HOPEFULLY will be fixed by the end of next week. I'll gladly pm you my dealer/service advisors info if you want to try to have your dealer contact them.

Jonsey32

Reaction score
Well just got off the phone with the dealer they say they cannot get it to do it I told them to keep the truck and it will show up. I told them about the service bulletin they said there aware of it. So we will see what happens.

BluegrassRam

Reaction score
My truck was doing the same thing. I filmed it and emailed a link from this forum to the service department so they could see how many people were having the same issue. The dealership replaced my rack last week and I have had zero issues for about 500 miles now.

EGD

Reaction score
Well I took mine in to dealer this Tuesday for the steering, Uconnect, adjustable pedal NHTSA recall and while cruising at a steady speed, 45-75mph, you can feel the tranny lock/unlock on what I believe is the torque converter. Never could feel the tranny on the 2016 RAM, buttery smooth. Not so much on the 2019.

brains3

Reaction score
After 3 attempts at the dealership. They were finally able to replicate the steering issue and replaced the steering rack. So far so good.

MFALRAM

Reaction score
After 3 attempts at the dealership. They were finally able to replicate the steering issue and replaced the steering rack. So far so good.
Good!! Once my steering rack was replaced I’ve had no problems. I believe you will have the same results. Good luck

EGD

Reaction score
Just picked mine up with the new rack. Took it the same route that had the steering acting up when It had 46 miles on it. She's good now.
Well went that route on telling dealer wanted new rack as well as the case manager at FCA. Told them I am not gambling with my life since dealer cannot duplicate the failure. What, they want me to end up in oncoming traffic again!!!!

Jonsey32

Reaction score
Well my truck has been at the dealer since march 4th they did the recalls and we went three days back and fourth they kept saying they could not replicate steering issue so I printed the TSB and showed them they finally agreed to replace the rack should be done Friday the 15th lets hope.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Well my truck has been at the dealer since march 4th they did the recalls and we went three days back and fourth they kept saying they could not replicate steering issue so I printed the TSB and showed them they finally agreed to replace the rack should be done Friday the 15th lets hope.
What's your build date?

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a 8/18 build date and I'm worried about this issue. Just so I know what to look for, I have to hit a slight left bend in the road at speeds of 60+ and also have the engine/steering rack warmed up for at least 45 mins?

Douglas31

Reaction score
Well went that route on telling dealer wanted new rack as well as the case manager at FCA. Told them I am not gambling with my life since dealer cannot duplicate the failure. What, they want me to end up in oncoming traffic again!!!!
Did they agree to replace it?

Users who are viewing this thread