5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering no return to center (left turns)

MaxSteelTX

Reaction score
My Lonestar is having steering issues as well. The steering does not return to center, during both left and right slight turns at highway speed. Craziest feeling...

Douglas31

Reaction score
Took mine in for it today and only got a could not replicate.

MaxSteelTX

Reaction score
Took mine in for it today and only got a could not replicate.
My issues don’t occur until around 30-45 mins of driving...dealer won’t notice unless they go on a long joy ride. hopefully Ram will issue a recall and the long trip won’t be required

Douglas31

Reaction score
My issues don’t occur until around 30-45 mins of driving...dealer won’t notice unless they go on a long joy ride. hopefully Ram will issue a recall and the long trip won’t be required
Same here except I think mine is closer to about an hour so it is pretty much hopeless to get the dealer to replicate it. I was hoping @RamCares maybe had some more info they could pass to the dealer to get this resolved.

MFALRAM

Reaction score
Same here except I think mine is closer to about an hour so it is pretty much hopeless to get the dealer to replicate it. I was hoping @RamCares maybe had some more info they could pass to the dealer to get this resolved.
Might have to do what I did and drive a half hour home from work let them know your coming then drive to dealer and have a tech jump in and ride with you.

Douglas31

Reaction score
Might have to do what I did and drive a half hour home from work let them know your coming then drive to dealer and have a tech jump in and ride with you.
I thought about doing that.

jaychris

Reaction score

Yeah, that's basically what I did and that was effective enough that he was able to experience the issue to some degree. Enough to make a guess at the problem, but we'll see how it develops as more people have it checked out and we get more data.

MFALRAM

Reaction score
Yeah, that's basically what I did and that was effective enough that he was able to experience the issue to some degree. Enough to make a guess at the problem, but we'll see how it develops as more people have it checked out and we get more data.
Call ram force the issue that’s what I did they replaced the steering rack and no problems since then. They thought maybe a flat spot on the gears inside

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Mines going back in Thursday. The cleaning of grounds didn't work.
It's now doing it more often than not at any speed above 25mph

gliderpilot

Reaction score
I also have EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

No lane departure on my truck also.

Built on 11/20

Cdias79

Reaction score
Anyone every get this fixed? I'm having Dave exact problem with my big Horn. Dealer needed heard of it.

Whiskey_tango

Reaction score
Anyone every get this fixed? I'm having Dave exact problem with my big Horn. Dealer needed heard of it.

Took mine in on Friday. I could not duplicate the problem with tech riding with me.

My thinking is, if it's a flaw in the rack, it should eventually get worse. Worse to the extent there is no denying it. I had my rack replaced in my '09 F150 @ 15kmi.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
I took mine in Thursday. They did the recall, even though they already did it when it was still a tsb.. did a bunch of software updates again and said they couldn't duplicate it and thought it was fixed.

So I went and drove for an hour and found a route that'll reliably duplicate it. 20 miles at 75mph to get the rack hot then get off on the state highway that has much sharper curves and take it 20 miles back to town. I took the truck right back to them and handed them the route with speeds.

The ones that have got it fixed said it was the steering rack. I'm waiting on the service manager to call me tomorrow to see if he'll entertain calling the dealers that have fixed this

Steelwheelz

Reaction score
Took mine in on Friday. I could not duplicate the problem with tech riding with me.

My thinking is, if it's a flaw in the rack, it should eventually get worse. Worse to the extent there is no denying it. I had my rack replaced in my '09 F150 @ 15kmi.
Email ram cares and they will open a ticket. I’m in the process right now. It has been escalated and they are now contacting the dealer to instruct them on what to do. The more people who document with ram cares the easier it will be for others in the future. Ram may even do a recall if it’s bad enough.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
Replicating the issue took a few times before the dealer was able to get the steering to stick while turning left. The dealership I went to was University Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Hamilton, NY. Give your dealership their info they can call them about the fix. Which was a new steering rack. Otherwise the dealership is going to go back and forth with the engineers which takes forever.

Do you have any more info? I have a feeling it'll be tough getting info from the dealer just asking if they remember the 2019 with the bad steering rack. Possibly a star case# or you service advisor/mechanics name

Douglas31

Reaction score
With practically zero results from the dealer and Ram customer service through Ram Cares I have just filed a complaint through the NHTSA. If you have have run out of options for the same problem I recommend you do the same. This can drive recalls for a solution. Hopefully this will result in something to fix this issue. Call me ridiculous but I find it to be unsat for it to be considered not a problem solely beacause it cannot be replicated during a short test drive for most vehicles displaying this problem. Just because it takes a vehicle to be driven for a longer time for the symptom to show does not mean it is ok for Ram to say there is not a problem when it could result in loss of life due to unpredictable steering response. I have been a loyal FCA customer for a while and have always been impressed by the customer service I have received over the years. However, this 2019 Ram has been a disheartening experience. Unfortunately, if I had to choose any other vehicle, it would be the exact same vehicle, just without all the issues. And yes, I have had the ground recall performed and it is not related to this problem.

Steelwheelz

Reaction score
With practically zero results from the dealer and Ram customer service through Ram Cares I have just filed a complaint through the NHTSA. If you have have run out of options for the same problem I recommend you do the same. This can drive recalls for a solution. Hopefully this will result in something to fix this issue. Call me ridiculous but I find it to be unsat for it to be considered not a problem solely beacause it cannot be replicated during a short test drive for most vehicles displaying this problem. Just because it takes a vehicle to be driven for a longer time for the symptom to show does not mean it is ok for Ram to say there is not a problem when it could result in loss of life due to unpredictable steering response. I have been a loyal FCA customer for a while and have always been impressed by the customer service I have received over the years. However, this 2019 Ram has been a disheartening experience. Unfortunately, if I had to choose any other vehicle, it would be the exact same vehicle, just without all the issues. And yes, I have had the ground recall performed and it is not related to this problem.
Did Ram Cares ever get back to you? What was their response to this issue? I’m still waiting on them to respond.

Douglas31

Reaction score
Did Ram Cares ever get back to you? What was their response to this issue? I’m still waiting on them to respond.
If your talking about Ram Cares on the forum they did and created a case number in which you then have to wait for a case manager to be assigned and contact you which does take a little bit. Without going into a long story it essentially came down to if the dealer is unable to replicate there is nothing they can do. They initially offered a small amount of money or oil change package due to the inconvenience. After the rest of the conversation we never went back to that discussion. I’m not too concerned with that part I just want my truck to be right or replaced with an identical truck without these issues. They did offer to escalate it to the arbitration or whatever it is called but I would assume that is pointless considering it has not been replicated. I asked if they could reach out to the engineers since I know this isn’t an isolated problem since it has been brought up on multiple forums but that didn’t produce any solutions. Now the discussion is maybe putting a data recorder in the steering column that records vibrations and such but on a common sense standpoint I am not confident it will no the difference between bumps, regular steering movements and when the steering sticks. And they are not sure if they can even do that yet. I have now gone into a long story. Lol! I have always had good support from Ram Cares in the past but I don’t see this one being rectified without a recall, TSB or something. So I don’t know if outside of what I’ve already tried if I need to just film it happening and get a lawyer or what I am going to do. Sorry about the long post.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
My dealer ended up getting the tsb i posted above approved from ram, even though my build date doesn't line up. New steering rack is on order. They were never able to duplicate the issue. I did send them this thread to show it is very hard to duplicate based on other reports.

Is there anyway you can find a route that will reliably duplicate? 30 minutes at 75mph was enough to warm mine up so you could feel it on any sharp turn above 45mph

Users who are viewing this thread