5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start of 2023 Production

DiezNutz

Reaction score
I applaud the effort, but dealers have no control over what happens until it shows up at their dealership. They get invoices (and have to pay) before it ships, and they’re just as frustrated as we are when there are shipping delays.
RIght, I meant in case they're dumbing around and didn't pay the invoice yet. 😅
They've been pretty good about updating me on status all along (even though I get it from here and the pizza tracker the fastest), and so it's a bit odd that I haven't heard boo since the truck was built last Weds, which had me wondering if they hadn't whiffed on it...
Agreed as long as they held up their end, then there's nothing to do but wait for it to clear the railyard.

DiezNutz

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I feel a lot better about it. I guess I just figured we were in a climate where everybody was charging over MSRP, I was happy to get just a bit under that but was wondering if I didn’t negotiate as well as I should have.

I’d love your opinion on this as well. My truck is now scheduled to arrive a little bit sooner. I should have it by 1/06. When I ordered my truck about three months ago, I went to CarMax to see how much I could get for my 2020 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I purchased it brand new in 2019. I’ve put 130k miles on it and was T-Boned by someone on their cell phone causing a lot of damage. CarMax offered 20k for it three months ago. I went to get it appraised again yesterday and they‘re only giving me 16.5k for it now. Am I better off selling it to CarMax or try to trade it in at the dealer? It’s paid off and the dealer is aware that I was looking to sell it to CarMax. According to them, three months ago, “CarMax is unbeatable.”
I suppose the only thing you can do is see what the dealer is willing to give you on trade allowance for the Camry and how it compares to the CarMax offer, and decide which works best for you. There's a convenience factor for just letting the dealer deal with it to consider, unless they're really lowballing you. The figures you're quoting (20K and 16.5K) sound like trade-in value on the car pre-T-bone, so... do both parties know about the damage? I think that would affect it greatly. Unless it's been repaired, but then there's still Diminished Value.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose the only thing you can do is see what the dealer is willing to give you on trade allowance for the Camry and how it compares to the CarMax offer, and decide which works best for you. There's a convenience factor for just letting the dealer deal with it to consider, unless they're really lowballing you. The figures you're quoting (20K and 16.5K) sound like trade-in value on the car pre-T-bone, so... do both parties know about the damage? I think that would affect it greatly. Unless it's been repaired, but then there's still Diminished Value.
And don’t forget the difference in tax. A trade in gets a tax credit. A straight up sale doesn’t.

OneEmmanuel

Reaction score
The first quote, 20k, came from CarMax from three months ago. The second quote, 16.5k, came from Carmax yesterday. The offer is only good for a week. They know about the damage and still gave me those offers. I also collected 3k for diminished value from the at-fault party’s insurance company. I‘m thinking the 3.5k that I lost in these 3 months is just a sign of the used car market cooling off a little bit. I went around to other dealerships and their offers were significantly less than CarMax’s offer. I figured going to my dealer with my car now would be pointless considering that the market is changing so rapidly, who knows what’ll happen in those three weeks until I take delivery of the vehicle.

DRL

Reaction score

Lastcall8

Reaction score
So just to mention it, before joining Tread Lightly, be sure to check if your employer is a participant in the Affiliate Rewards program first. While the t-shirt is probably nice, if you work for a large enough organization, it’s possible you can get the Affiliate pricing anyway.

FCA Affiliate Rewards
How big a discount is the affiliate pricing?

Armydad72

Reaction score
So just to mention it, before joining Tread Lightly, be sure to check if your employer is a participant in the Affiliate Rewards program first. While the t-shirt is probably nice, if you work for a large enough organization, it’s possible you can get the Affiliate pricing anyway.

FCA Affiliate Rewards
Thank you for sharing this. I'm a disabled army vet not able to work so I had to go the other route.

DiezNutz

Reaction score
The first quote, 20k, came from CarMax from three months ago. The second quote, 16.5k, came from Carmax yesterday. The offer is only good for a week. They know about the damage and still gave me those offers. I also collected 3k for diminished value from the at-fault party’s insurance company. I‘m thinking the 3.5k that I lost in these 3 months is just a sign of the used car market cooling off a little bit. I went around to other dealerships and their offers were significantly less than CarMax’s offer. I figured going to my dealer with my car now would be pointless considering that the market is changing so rapidly, who knows what’ll happen in those three weeks until I take delivery of the vehicle.
I think so too (market cooling off). It's been insane all during COVID, recession fears are popping that bubble. Also things slow down a bit in winter/around the holidays anyway.
I suspect you're right that the dealer isn't going to come close enough to Carfax to make it worthwhile even with the tax benefit (and they've already told you as much). You can bet they're watching the market too, and aren't going to get upside down on trades if they want to balance the books.
Honestly unless that particular car is fully loaded, like I said 16.5K is a strong offer for one that hasn't been wrecked. Let alone...
Like I also said, nobody can tell you what's right for you except you. Good luck 🍺

Armydad72

Reaction score
Found 529 Window Stickers tonight. 1 more forum member with a truck on the way! Congratulations to @cliffsta

VINBSWSBStoWSETASTATECOLORSERIES
501101 @cliffstaXX
11​
1/8/2023​
LouisianaBlueRebel
501785 @WoodgrainFRAME
1/28/2023​
KYLaramie
502479 @spaciousgarageFRAME
1/20/2023​
CAWhiteBig Horn / Lonestar
Question are you able to see how many rebel Delmonico red trucks are made?

cliffsta

Reaction score
Man, the wait is almost over. Ive been wanting a Ram since summer of 2021. Even looked to order that fall. This Rebel will be the nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned. My Silverado had the nostalgia factor (my dad bought a red 1980 C10 new and passed it down to me in high school, so driving a red Z71 was super cool the last few years), but now I want something more capable but also luxurious inside. Looking forward to years and years of Ram Rebel ownership.

Armydad72

Reaction score
Man, the wait is almost over. Ive been wanting a Ram since summer of 2021. Even looked to order that fall. This Rebel will be the nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned. My Silverado had the nostalgia factor (my dad bought a red 1980 C10 new and passed it down to me in high school, so driving a red Z71 was super cool the last few years), but now I want something more capable but also luxurious inside. Looking forward to years and years of Ram Rebel ownership.
I'm with you this is my deam truck and I'm nervous and excited. Congrats

cliffsta

Reaction score
I'm with you this is my deam truck and I'm nervous and excited. Congrats
Thanks. You and I ordered fairly similar. I posted my details in the “Tell us about your order” thread. I’ll update my signature when I take delivery. Or I guess you can look at my window sticker 😂

LGB24

Reaction score
Thanks. You and I ordered fairly similar. I posted my details in the “Tell us about your order” thread. I’ll update my signature when I take delivery. Or I guess you can look at my window sticker 😂
I’m with you guys. Rebel, 4x4, V8 HEMI, granite two-ton, and every package but the tow package. I told my wife it’s nicer than her MDX. She disagreed…

LGB24

Reaction score
What are people seeing in terms of the time from scheduled to in production? I went scheduled on 12/15. Am I look at production starting in December or in January? Ram Cares and the dealer said they have no additional info right now.

cliffsta

Reaction score
I’m with you guys. Rebel, 4x4, V8 HEMI, granite two-ton, and every package but the tow package. I told my wife it’s nicer than her MDX. She disagreed…

We’ve been racking up the miles on my wife’s Murano the last five months. I’m sure she’ll be happy to ride shotgun in a truck again. Especially one nicer than her car 😂

triple_B

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are people seeing in terms of the time from scheduled to in production? I went scheduled on 12/15. Am I look at production starting in December or in January? Ram Cares and the dealer said they have no additional info right now.
Of the 84 members with built trucks already they had a D1 (Scheduled) to E (Frame/Start of Production) average of 18 days so with the holidays I would say you are looking at January

However, the shortest was a 5 day turn around, longest so far is a 25 day.

Users who are viewing this thread