5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standard vs Premium LED Lighting Group

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I almost bought a Big Horn without LED package but it was sold the morning they were checking it for me. They had another that had the LED package and I'm so glad the one w/o was sold. Got it delivered yesterday and took it to the lake and left when it was dark through a pitch black dirt road way and man those LED front lights are amazing! No question SO glad the truck was sold. Now just need retrofit the 33gal tank.
Speaking of 33 gal tank. On my first non-towing fill up I've driven 369 miles with 417 left to go at my present burn rate...pretty cool.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Wondering if you guys think the Premium Lighting Group is worth the extra $995.00. I'm building a bighorn and stuck on the sunroof and lighting group.... What do you think? Worth it or pass?
View attachment 7034
Pictures justify $995. Out of all the trim
Wondering if you guys think the Premium Lighting Group is worth the extra $995.00. I'm building a bighorn and stuck on the sunroof and lighting group.... What do you think? Worth it or pass?
View attachment 7034
Picture you posted justify every penny of led light.
Out of all the trim led is best looking and proportion head lights on ram. Major reason I went with laramie than longhorn just for lights.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pictures justify $995. Out of all the trim
Picture you posted justify every penny of led light.
Out of all the trim led is best looking and proportion head lights on ram. Major reason I went with laramie than longhorn just for lights.
The Longhorn has even better LED lighting (same as the Limited). Maybe you meant the Big Horn?

Wheeler

Reaction score
The Longhorn has even better LED lighting (same as the Limited). Maybe you meant the Big Horn?
I am talking about longhorn. It does have better projector lights but too small for truck face. I like the shape of led lights and amber day time running lights

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am talking about longhorn. It does have better projector lights but too small for truck face. I like the shape of led lights and amber day time running lights
Okay - since you had only mentioned Longhorn, and not Limited (which has the same adaptive LEDs), that wasn’t clear.

Coolbreeze704

Reaction score
Can someone confirm. I understand that if you have a Big Horn with the optional Premium Lighting Group that they do not turn when cornering and that it is only higher trim lines that offer that upgrade.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only the Limited, TRX?, have adaptive headlights. All trims with foglamps have cornering lights at low speed

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only the Limited, TRX?, have adaptive headlights. All trims with foglamps have cornering lights at low speed
I would like to add that cornering lights only works if you have your foglamps turned off :ROFLMAO:

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
The IIHS.org headlight test rates both the halogens and premium lighting group (not the lights on the Limited) as marginal. Looking at the graph, the halogens actually outperformed in straight ahead distance which shows the difference between perceived performance and actual quantifiable data.

2022 Ram 1500 Crew cab pickup

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The IIHS.org headlight test rates both the halogens and premium lighting group (not the lights on the Limited) as marginal. Looking at the graph, the halogens actually outperformed in straight ahead distance which shows the difference between perceived performance and actual quantifiable data.

2022 Ram 1500 Crew cab pickup

And this is a rare case where perceived performance matters more than quantifiable data, because if your eyes aren't telling your brain what's going on then driving is more dangerous, period. And after having both halogen and LED on these 5th Gens I can say for 100% certain that the LEDs light the road up WAYYY better than the halogens for visibility the human eye can use.

I'd rate my experience like this, from best to worst:

1) GTR Lighting Ultra 2 LED bulbs in halogen housings
2) Factory LED housings
3) Factory halogen housings with halogen bulbs

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would like to add that cornering lights only works if you have your foglamps turned off :ROFLMAO:
First few days I noticed all this blinking of lights when turning and didn’t know what the heck was going on. Finally figured out they were cornering lights which I found to be very annoying. Now my fog lights stay on at all times. I do notice my cornering lights still turn on when high beams are activated since that turns off the fog lights.

Is there a way to turn this feature off?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love the LED's, much brighter than halogens. One thing I haven't figured out is how the LED's will handle snow/ice. Halogens emit heat and keep snow from building up, LED's don't emit heat.

I had a Wrangler that I installed LED's into, loved the light output, lost all visibility during the first snow storm I drove in. Had to keep brushing off the lens. I swapped them out for another LED brand which had a heater element in them, similar to a rear window defroster.

I'm curious what Ram has done to prevent the buildup.
This is exactly what I want to know also. Are these ultra expensive led factory lights heated or not?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in NH and we get snow and ice. I have not had any issues with my LED headlights (starting my 3rd winter) . Just like any type of headlight you have to remove the snow or ice when you clean off the car and I've not had any issues with ice buildup. One caveat is that I tend not to drive during blizzards so I don't really know how they would hold up in one.

The premium LED lights are absolutely the best feature of my Limited and contribute to my safety more than any other feature.

Users who are viewing this thread