5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standard vs Premium LED Lighting Group

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes... yes... YES... there shouldn’t be any doubt: Pay the extra money and get the LEDs! You will not regret it! It is money well spent, as others have mentioned. The lighting output from the LED headlights and fog lights together is ridiculous. In fact it’s pretty much the best illumination I have ever had in a vehicle, bar none.

And yes it gives the truck a much more updated look.
Do it and don’t look back!

LessDodgeMoreRam

Reaction score
I have to say, the truck looks really nice with the regular likes but if the LED lights is an option for you, go for it! They are really bright and night and just give the truck this updated mean look to it. No regrets, completely worth the money

Yours are quite a bit brighter than mine. Like a lot brighter. Weird.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Led headlights and led reverse lights are the only thing I touch. There's another thread on here where the guy had a bunch of different LEDs hooked up by some shop and they blew out fuses, screwed up one of his wiring harnesses so half the tech in his truck isn't working right now...smh. I think he said even the 4wd selector stopped working too.

Wsmith

Reaction score
Wondering if you guys think the Premium Lighting Group is worth the extra $995.00. I'm building a bighorn and stuck on the sunroof and lighting group.... What do you think? Worth it or pass?
View attachment 7034
Wish I would have had a Ram and seen this two years ago. To anyone else viewing the thread now the answer is an astounding YES it is worth it. Compared to aftermarket it is a steal. I didn't hold out long enough to find my unicorn. I gave up the premium. Could not have made a bigger mistake on the purchase than omitting the premium lighting.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I also gave up the lighting when buying mine, but regretted it almost immediately... to the point where I went and spent $2k instead of the initial $1k at the start. LOL. It completely transforms the truck and makes it a much more modern looking machine. I absolutely love my truck and will probably own it until it either dies or falls apart.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can get the OEM headlights for $588 a piece from mopar wholesale parts. Add in the plug and play wire harnesses from retro shop for $175 and your around $1,400. Spendy but not too bad if your really want them. I'm trying a set of the alpharex pro lights first. If I don't like them I'm going to sell them and get the OEM

Wsmith

Reaction score
You can get the OEM headlights for $588 a piece from mopar wholesale parts. Add in the plug and play wire harnesses from retro shop for $175 and your around $1,400. Spendy but not too bad if your really want them. I'm trying a set of the alpharex pro lights first. If I don't like them I'm going to sell them and get the OEM
But if you want the rears to match, you are in close to 3K. I think I am going to go bulbs. Should be able to outfit the front and rear for about 1K, with premium bulbs. I like the led housings, but it is just too much coin.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But if you want the rears to match, you are in close to 3K. I think I am going to go bulbs. Should be able to outfit the front and rear for about 1K, with premium bulbs. I like the led housings, but it is just too much coin.
No question one of my regrets is not having the led light package from factory. I personally could care less what my tail lights look like so that doesn’t bother me.

It is ridiculous though how much it costs to buy the stuff after the fact. No reason it should cost 3 times as much afterwards.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score

Why are you close to 3k? The fronts are $600 and some change each plus $175 for the adapter and $650 for the rear pair. I didn’t spend over $2k on my entire conversion...

Wsmith

Reaction score
($600 x 2) =1200 + $179 = $1,379 for the fronts. I have only seen the rears at $1,550 for the set. $1,379 + $1,550 = $2,929 not including tax or shipping. Maybe someone found the rears for $800 bucks or so, but I havn't seen them that cheap. If you got OEM rears for $650 please share. I will buy them in a heartbeat.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
They’re only $550 list price at dealers. You can get them online, right here, for $365 ish.

You just need to know how to Google correctly. ;)

I will happily sell you a pair for a grand... haha! :D

BacktheBlue00

Reaction score
They’re only $550 list price at dealers. You can get them online, right here, for $365 ish.

You just need to know how to Google correctly. ;)

I will happily sell you a pair for a grand... haha! :D

I think these are the actual LED ones though? Unless the website has some weird stuff going on with charging two different prices. I'd have to cross reference the PN's with RAM.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Didn’t know there was any difference as far as they go... thought they were all the same.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The LED taillights are different from the non LED ones. Here are two pics that compare the two:

Non LED: 8756978D-9690-4CA2-8873-9275605452EA.png

LED:
2C79920D-78E3-4185-8BC9-E3BDD7C76976.png

BacktheBlue00

Reaction score
Didn’t know there was any difference as far as they go... thought they were all the same.

The LEDs are the same with exception to being the red or black ones, as far as I know. I'm just not sure of the specific PN for the specific tail lights.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't have to make a choice and that the premium headlights were included in the Limited....I may have chosen the wrong ones. I'm 67 with horrible night vision and my '15 Laramie had horrible headlights so I relied on high beams all the time. With this truck it's like I'm 20 years younger, I can see better and with the steerable headlights and the automatically employed LED fog's driving down the dark New Hampsire roads is a pleasure.

And they do make the truck look mean ;)

ram-stampede1-August 26, 2020-29.jpg

spiG

Reaction score
I almost bought a Big Horn without LED package but it was sold the morning they were checking it for me. They had another that had the LED package and I'm so glad the one w/o was sold. Got it delivered yesterday and took it to the lake and left when it was dark through a pitch black dirt road way and man those LED front lights are amazing! No question SO glad the truck was sold. Now just need retrofit the 33gal tank.

Users who are viewing this thread