5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standard vs Premium LED Lighting Group

wolf1776

Reaction score
Wondering if you guys think the Premium Lighting Group is worth the extra $995.00. I'm building a bighorn and stuck on the sunroof and lighting group.... What do you think? Worth it or pass?
download.jpg

wolf1776

Reaction score
I have the led lighting and like it a lot. I was test driving a BigHorn the other night without it and still was pleased with the light output.
Doesn't sound like there is a massive difference then....in your opinion is it worth the extra $1000?

Kstatecat

Reaction score
I have the led lights on my 19 and love them. I had a 14 Ram and hated the headlights. If possible test drive both and see which you prefer. You really don't want to get stuck with headlights you hate.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Worth every penny, you not only get the lighting upgrade but also the looks of the package is an upgrade, To me the led headlights package makes the truck look more aggressive. But it’s all based on opinions.
You also get the nicer looking led tail lights and fog lights.
The headlights give you the led accents “running light” which to me that was my deciding point. Some might not care for it but I do.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only downside is the rear LED tail lamps are in a single housing that is not serviceable. The reverse lights are not very bright.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like my LEDs, but the halogens on my Gen 4 were more than adequate. I will say the LEDs outperform, so if you do much night driving they are nice to have. Its one of those options that if you want it and can afford it, great. If it raises the price above a predetermined limit, you’ll not really miss them, IMO.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I went for the LED for aesthetics. The LEDs give the 2019 an updated look.
My curent truck is a 2001 ram 1500. Have to treat myself every 17 1/2 years. At 63 years of age if I don't spend the inheritance my kids will.
If it is going to be long term ownership you don't want any regrets.

wolf1776

Reaction score
Only downside is the rear LED tail lamps are in a single housing that is not serviceable. The reverse lights are not very bright.
I dont think you can service the front either. I called the dealer and the part department states the light/bulb/LED is serviced with the whole assembly, which costs $1,015.00 lol Hope they last forever at that price.

Jako

Reaction score
I dont think you can service the front either. I called the dealer and the part department states the light/bulb/LED is serviced with the whole assembly, which costs $1,015.00 lol Hope they last forever at that price.
My "aesthetics " can end up costing some serious $$$. Truck gets old the LEDs will be worth more than the truck. Still rememeber my car key duplicates costing a buck. Replaced a 2006 Honda Accord key at the dealership and cost $200. Something to be said about 20 to 30 year old vehicles.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am very happy with the LED's other and they are probably my favorite upgrade over my 2014 Ram. I wanted to get the newest technology I could as I plan on keeping the truck for a while. As for the sunroof I did not get it. Just don't think I would use it much. I open the back slider window if I want a little ventilation.

Last edited:

SuperShortMag

Reaction score

Good info right there. In the process of ordering a Bighorn and was going back and forth over the same question. Is it worth the $1000. If it could be another $1000 later, I might say no

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good info right there. In the process of ordering a Bighorn and was going back and forth over the same question. Is it worth the $1000. If it could be another $1000 later, I might say no
That's just for the part. To remove and replace the assembly requires removal of the entire front grill, fascia and partial removal of wheel well liner and fender flare, of applicable. So labor charge will be costly too.

Jako

Reaction score
Anybody know what is required to replace the standard light bulbs. 2006 Honda Accord requires going through the wheel wells. The price of the LEDs could change with aftermarket products in time. Had to replace the headlight assembly for my 2001 Ram 1500, bought both for $70+ on ebay. I don't know what Dodge would have charged.
LEDs covered under the the lifetime extended warranty? If they are it seems the lights and air condition repairs would recoup the cost of the warranty in time. My own experience with air conditioners has not been good with long term ownership.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you will carry a warranty and/or keep the truck a while I would go with LEDs... they are so much brighter at night, and the exterior lights just look nicer IMO. It is also an option that you cannot reasonably add later; dealer install would be $$$, and after market bulbs can be done but not with the same look/results. I bought off the lot so settled for halogen, but wish I had LEDs having done a little night driving. Halogens are good enough, and LEDs are better. Of course it’s all up to your priorities, your budget, so your call. (y)

Hahny

Reaction score
Last night we were coming home in the dark watching for deer and the people with me in my truck said they have never seen lights as good as it has! I’d recommend the extra to get the LED, you will spend double in the end if you decide to order it over the parts counter

bdm219

Reaction score
I love the LED's, much brighter than halogens. One thing I haven't figured out is how the LED's will handle snow/ice. Halogens emit heat and keep snow from building up, LED's don't emit heat.

I had a Wrangler that I installed LED's into, loved the light output, lost all visibility during the first snow storm I drove in. Had to keep brushing off the lens. I swapped them out for another LED brand which had a heater element in them, similar to a rear window defroster.

I'm curious what Ram has done to prevent the buildup.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd get it. Best headlights I've owned on any vehicle.

I'd get the roof to, it adds a lot of light to the interior and makes it feel much more spacious.

Hahny

Reaction score
I also personally think if your considering both of those options I would also look into the $595 blind spot monitoring, one of my favorite features!

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As others have posted above, LEDs are really nice, seem to be the best lighting technology available right now. That said, LEDs gone bad are far more expensive to replace than conventional halogen or incandescent bulbs. And although LEDs theoretically last much longer than conventional bulbs, in the real world that's not always the case, it's a resistor or capacitor or some other electronic component that goes bad and renders the LED "bulbs" themselves inoperable.

LED lighting units can't usually be serviced, because it's not just the LED "bulbs" themselves, there are PCBAs (printed circuit board assemblies) that power up and control the LEDs, so you have to replace the entire light assembly, which is why replacing LEDs is typically way more expensive than bulbs. You can't just open up a light assembly and replace the individual LEDs themselves, and usually it's not the LED element itself that poops out, it's the aforementioned resistors/capacitors/etc on the PC board. And on top of that, most LED lighting assemblies are plastic-welded shut, so you'd have to use a Dremel or whatever and slice the plastic housing open, and then how would you re-seal it? Not a good option. SO if a $1 capacitor goes bad, you're in for a $200-500 replacement assembly, plus labor.

Aftermarket is a good thing - the dealer wanted $800 to replace both LED taillights in our family car ($250 ea for the taillight assemblies, so $500 in parts, and $300 in labor), I found good-quality aftermarket ones on RockAuto.com for $67 each. So with shipping cost thrown in and doing my own labor, I solved the problem for $150. Still, compare that to $5 for a conventional incandescent taillight bulb.

Good lighting is absolutely essential, especially for "older eyes" like mine, and the added $1000 for the LED package, if you avoid even one minor collision, would be well worth it. I do love LEDs for their performance, but don't kid yourself on the total cost of ownership where LEDs are concerned, they are more expensive to buy initially, and way more expensive to repair. Worth it, but performance costs.

Users who are viewing this thread