5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standard Fuel Tank Size for Rebel

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
That stinks. Checked my Laramie(non-etorque) through your link and it's 26.

Is it a space issue? Etorq trucks can option for the 33 gallon tank?

Same here. Have you actually ever filled up more than 23 gallons?
I've gotten it down to 1/8th of a tank (50 miles to empty) and only ever get 20 gallons during fill up. I'm going to try to run it down to around 5 miles to empty this week and try again.

John813

Reaction score
Same here. Have you actually ever filled up more than 23 gallons?
I've gotten it down to 1/8th of a tank (50 miles to empty) and only ever get 20 gallons during fill up. I'm going to try to run it down to around 5 miles to empty this week and try again.

I believe I've gotten close to 21-22 gallons but I can't recall how low the miles to empty reader was at.
I know I've never gone below 20-30 miles to empty.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I am not sure how to check the build sheet. When I was building it online I saw 26 gallon as standard and 33 optional. Never saw anything about a 23 gallon

You can either register your truck on the mopar owner site or use the link in my last post and replace my VIN at the end of the link with your VIN.

kjn86

Reaction score
I believe Etorque gets 23 gallon tank, non-Etorque gets 26 gallon tank.

For reference, my Laramie has a 23 gallon, and did not have an option for a 26 gallon. https://bit.ly/2C9Cayb

I just checked a few Rebels' build sheets with the VIN and all the eTorque either had the 33 gallon upgrade or had 23 gallon tanks. The only 26 gallons I saw were non-eTorque V8s. Maybe they are trying to level the bubbles with range due to eTorque getting better fuel economy so they both get similar ranges before the 33-gallon upgrade. Kind of stupid if you ask me. Just give everyone the 26 with the option to upgrade. I have looked at probably hundreds of window stickers for Rebels before I got one and even after doing research and I have never ever seen one with the 26 gallon upgrade on the sticker. Either says nothing about it or 33-gal upgrade. I am not sure it's worth $445 to get the upgrade to the 33-gal tank honestly even if I could go back and get it now that I have been thinking it over a lot this past week. My driving habits just don't support it. Putting two 5-gal fuel jugs in the bed costs less than $50 and has the same effect.

RebelMike

Reaction score
Day to day driving isn’t too big of a deal for me but towing is where it really becomes an issue. 23 gallons of gas getting 10 mpg doesn’t get you too far.

Especially if you are on a 300 mile trip hauling a camper in the mountains of Vermont, gas stations are few and far between.

Chris

Reaction score
Especially if you are on a 300 mile trip hauling a camper in the mountains of Vermont, gas stations are few and far between.
In that case, I would definitely vouch for the 33 gallon tank upgrade. The difference between 23 and 26 gallons will be negligible in this situation.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Just to update some of you.

I'm supposed to have the 26 gallon tank as standard on my trim (according to RAM build site and VIN build sheet), but have wondered if I actually have the 23 gallon tank based on prior fill-ups.

Last 2 fill ups I've gotten the needle to sit on "E" and the truck said I had 10 miles left. Filled up to 23.5 gallons. So the fuel gauge/range seems to be conservative by about 2 gallons on the 26 gallon tank. This is based off the assumption that if I did have have actually have the 23 gallon tank it should have only allowed me to fill up to around 22 gallons.

I hope that assumption is correct.

kjn86

Reaction score
Just to update some of you.

I'm supposed to have the 26 gallon tank as standard on my trim (according to RAM build site and VIN build sheet), but have wondered if I actually have the 23 gallon tank based on prior fill-ups.

Last 2 fill ups I've gotten the needle to sit on "E" and the truck said I had 10 miles left. Filled up to 23.5 gallons. So the fuel gauge/range seems to be conservative by about 2 gallons on the 26 gallon tank. This is based off the assumption that if I did have have actually have the 23 gallon tank it should have only allowed me to fill up to around 22 gallons.

I hope that assumption is correct.

Your assumption sounds right. In order to test it truly, you have to go all the way! Bring a gas can with 5 gallons and then let it go until it no longer starts. Then put in 5 gallons and then fill up. Should fill with another 21 gallons (or close). Not sure if this is a good idea, but it will validate the tank.

da_Vinci_of_sorts

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have a 23 gallon tank and I know I have the regular 5.7 (no E-Torque). My range unhooked (not towing) is ~380-415 miles. I have been averaging high 17s to low 20s for economy... We overland a bunch and often find ourselves very remote. Anything with a 400 mile range is usually sufficient, but I do carry extra fuel when overlanding (13.5 gallons). So, even with the the smaller tank on the truck my total fuel capacity is more than 36 gallons. I have never had to get into my last can (Even in Alaska) but I do plan my routes carefully.

I personally like to split my fuel up a bit. My truck isn't a daily driver, it's life is either to pull the Jeep, or for leisure exploring. Since it sometimes sits in my shop for weeks, I don't like a bunch of fuel sitting in it. Anything with Ethanol will draw moisture and simply doesn't last as long. When my "extra" is in Rotopax jugs, I can put it in vehicles that I run more regularly and not have it sitting around.

If you are using your Truck as a daily, I can't imagine a 23 vs 26, or even a 33 making a huge difference.

Side note: I think the larger tanks are deeper, which would sacrifice ground clearance. I have nothing to substantiate this beyond the two inch gap between the tank skid plate and the actual tank. (A winter project I have is to tighten this up a bit.)

Anyway, I know this isn't exactly on topic, but I thought I would share since I have very real world experience with range needs and other ways to tackle the issue.

Hopefully you all had a great Gobble-Gobble and I wish you Happy Holidays.

Rebel1117

Reaction score
I’m living in Canada. The window sticker of my new rebel list 124 L(27.4gallon) for fuel tank, which is an upgrade. And I noticed it uses Imperial gallon. When I converted to US gallon, it’s 32.75. I’m confused for a while, why it use Imperial gallon instead of us gallon.

19Jake

Reaction score
standard tank 26 US gallons
CANADA 98.4L > optional 124L

Last edited:

2wd

Reaction score
Hi all,

just wanted to add to the thread as this is very confusing.

I've seen folks say it's Big Horns Trims and below that have 23 gal, then some folks with Rebel which is a higher trim reporting 23 gallons, some think it's e-Torque, etc.

The only way to be sure is to register your truck on mopar.com, then use the link below to verify your tank size after registration.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=[insert your VIN here after the = sign]

I have a Big Horn, Crew Cab 4x4, non e-Torque. No Tank size at all is listed on my window sticker, yet I verified I have a 26 gal tank using the link above.

2wd

Reaction score
How can you get the "build sheet" for your truck? I'm curious about this as well.

Go to mopar.com and register your truck VIN and email address with MOPAR. After that wait about a 5 minutes and then you should be able to pull up your build sheet with the link I provided (subbing in your VIN). It didn't work for me until i registered at MOPAR.

dannydyn

Reaction score
I think there's a pattern here that makes sense. eTorque (better on MPG) gets a smaller tank (23) vs. the non-eTorque (worse on MPG) needing a bigger tank (26).

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s to make up the weight difference with the etorque battery

Users who are viewing this thread