5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SprintBooster

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Imagine this extreme example. You only push the pedal 1 inch forward, there's a 10 second delay, then the truck goes from idle to wide open throttle.

I watched the SprintBooster video and was immediately sold on the 1:1 throttle response. But I don't think that's the issue with these trucks. There is a delay from the time you move the pedal any direction and the truck reacts - it's about a 1/4 second. I didn't buy the SB but got the Pedal Commander instead, and it did not change this behavior. I don't think any of these electronic throttle programmers will fix that complaint.

What these throttle programmers will do is change how much oomph you get across your pedal travel. Want to push the pedal 1 inch and go WOT? There's probably a setting for that, and then obviously anything in between. So you can tune the pedal sensitivity to your liking, but not the responsiveness of changes in pedal position.

Totally right about the delay. I’ve got the pc and you can tell there is a delay except for eco and that’s only because it feels like a gradual smooth acceleration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cra1g

Reaction score
Imagine this extreme example. You only push the pedal 1 inch forward, there's a 10 second delay, then the truck goes from idle to wide open throttle.

I watched the SprintBooster video and was immediately sold on the 1:1 throttle response. But I don't think that's the issue with these trucks. There is a delay from the time you move the pedal any direction and the truck reacts - it's about a 1/4 second. I didn't buy the SB but got the Pedal Commander instead, and it did not change this behavior. I don't think any of these electronic throttle programmers will fix that complaint.

What these throttle programmers will do is change how much oomph you get across your pedal travel. Want to push the pedal 1 inch and go WOT? There's probably a setting for that, and then obviously anything in between. So you can tune the pedal sensitivity to your liking, but not the responsiveness of changes in pedal position.

Their video of throttle-body demo setup clearly shows it improves response time, but I don't see how that's possible. They even say on their website that the delay is caused by traction control, etc., and there's no way changing the pedal input can get around that.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I finally went with one (PC) because of the Sprint Booster video with a throttle body right next to it. There are two things these correct:

1. Remap throttle position vs. throttle body. The factory is detuned quite a bit and yes, instead of these devices you can just use more foot to compensate. After installing one of these and trying the 1:1 options (Sport+ on PC) you can easily see why manufacturers do not use 1:1. You'd spin the tires almost all the time.
2. Throttle lag. Aside from thinking it boosts MPG, I can't see why Ram would introduce the time delay into the programming BUT you cannot fix this with more throttle! You have to use either a Sprint Booster or Pedal Commander to eliminate the time delay the factory uses on throttle response.

You can see the time lag here:
Glad to see you want with this too. Pretty nifty mod. One of my favorites so far. I usually have it in City 2 and the difference is night and day.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to see you want with this too. Pretty nifty mod. One of my favorites so far. I usually have it in City 2 and the difference is night and day.

Just got back from 3 days in a rental Sentra and my first thought leaving the airport was that I need to drop down to a City -3 or something. Far touchier throttle than the rental and that 3.92 loves to get going!

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I disagree I have the SB if you put the truck in a gear and hold that gear pushing the pedal there is no delay. If your having that issue your truck has issues.

stevestrike

Reaction score
I didn't buy the SB but got the Pedal Commander instead, and it did not change this behavior. I don't think any of these electronic throttle programmers will fix that complaint.
You may be right, but I hope you are not. I'll post an update when my SB arrives and I spend some time with it. The delay is rough on this truck, no doubt and I think we all want the same thing here.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Their video of throttle-body demo setup clearly shows it improves response time, but I don't see how that's possible. They even say on their website that the delay is caused by traction control, etc., and there's no way changing the pedal input can get around that.
Problem with that video is it's a bench test setup... not indicative of how it will behave in these trucks at all.

I disagree I have the SB if you put the truck in a gear and hold that gear pushing the pedal there is no delay. If your having that issue your truck has issues.
No sir, I've had 3 2019 RAM Limited's with build dates up to a year apart and they have all had throttle delay worse than any other vehicle I've ever owned.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Problem with that video is it's a bench test setup... not indicative of how it will behave in these trucks at all.

No sir, I've had 3 2019 RAM Limited's with build dates up to a year apart and they have all had throttle delay worse than any other vehicle I've ever owned.
Exactly and the SB fixes it. I have no lag anymore.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can’t believe the Pedal Commander didn’t fix it for you as well. I drove my truck last night and intentionally played with the settings on the SB there’s a fine line if you put the SB up to high the truck will just downshift immediately and the shift of course feels laggy but after setting the SB on say sport 7 the throttle responds to micro adjustments immediately. Will be interesting to see what you find.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My limited understanding of these things is that you cant truly fix the lag with just an electronic pedal adjustment. You would need to get into the ECU and reprogram a bunch of things. The pedal programming simply steps in front of your pedal feedback and multiplies it by a certain factors. So you're pedal "feels" more responsive because you are getting more throttle for the same amount of pedal travel. If my theory is true, it would make that video very misleading. A good test would be to put the pedal to the floor with and without the modification. The "lag" should be the same since you are going WOT in both scenarios and it would negate any potential advantage of a "multiplier". One other potential issue is that when you have something like this that steps in front of the accelerator, if it glitches, you can have a safety issue if it's "stuck".

In full disclosure I don't have a PC or SB so I haven't broken them down and I don't have the engineering specs to back up what I'm saying. It's just from my general understanding. I have been looking into getting some cheap used ones and running some tests.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My limited understanding of these things is that you cant truly fix the lag with just an electronic pedal adjustment. You would need to get into the ECU and reprogram a bunch of things. The pedal programming simply steps in front of your pedal feedback and multiplies it by a certain factors. So you're pedal "feels" more responsive because you are getting more throttle for the same amount of pedal travel. If my theory is true, it would make that video very misleading. A good test would be to put the pedal to the floor with and without the modification. The "lag" should be the same since you are going WOT in both scenarios and it would negate any potential advantage of a "multiplier". One other potential issue is that when you have something like this that steps in front of the accelerator, if it glitches, you can have a safety issue if it's "stuck".

In full disclosure I don't have a PC or SB so I haven't broken them down and I don't have the engineering specs to back up what I'm saying. It's just from my general understanding. I have been looking into getting some cheap used ones and running some tests.
Like I just said before your long post with your opinion based on nothing I HAVE NO LAG!
If you need to keep spouting hypothetical crap about tuning which I have experience with I can tell you the simple throttle speed change is a huge part of tuning without adding modifications like more boost etc.. on these STOCK TRUCKS there is really nothing bang for the buck better and additional tuning would be very small gains like that stupid add on pulsar. There’s only so much timing you can add to a stock motor on pump gas that you don’t throw all the safety and induce knock.
Again I have worked with tuners, currently run a tuned performance car which I spent weeks data logging and speak from experience.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Right... You are opining on something you admit to know nothing about... Sheesh.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Right... You are opining on something you admit to know nothing about... Sheesh.

That's the difference between an opinion and a fact. If we had engineering specifics there wouldn't be a discussion to be had. Other than that, it's all opinion. Some opinions are more qualified than others. I presented some thoughts to think about and research and disclaimed it by saying it wasn't based on facts.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Like I just said before your long post with your opinion based on nothing I HAVE NO LAG!
If you need to keep spouting hypothetical crap about tuning which I have experience with I can tell you the simple throttle speed change is a huge part of tuning without adding modifications like more boost etc.. on these STOCK TRUCKS there is really nothing bang for the buck better and additional tuning would be very small gains like that stupid add on pulsar. There’s only so much timing you can add to a stock motor on pump gas that you don’t throw all the safety and induce knock.
Again I have worked with tuners, currently run a tuned performance car which I spent weeks data logging and speak from experience.

Not sure why you assume I know nothing. I happen to have quite a bit of tuning experience and automotive and engineering experience. Just because somebody doesn't own a product doesn't mean they can have an opinion. Seem to be some sensitive feelings here. I wasn't bashing anything, like you do with the PC, just providing a different perspective. The truth is nobody seems to have the exact specs on what and how this miracle is accomplished because they are provided by the manufacturer

cra1g

Reaction score

With all your experience, perhaps you could explain how monkeying with the throttle input can disable throttle lag that's BUILT INTO THE ECU? So far all I've heard from manufacturers or owners is "It just does." If I could find a reasonable explanation of how that happens, I might try one out. Without it, they might as well be selling bumper stickers that add horsepower--I'm not going to try it, because it makes no sense.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not going to argue with people here wasting my and others time. Good luck with your perception that your truck has lag and why. Please waste your time and money on a tune to fix it as well. As for the other keyboard heroes I’m pretty sure you know what I think of that. Good day people

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
I’m not going to argue with people here wasting my and others time. Good luck with your perception that your truck has lag and why. Please waste your time and money on a tune to fix it as well. As for the other keyboard heroes I’m pretty sure you know what I think of that. Good day people

I like my PC. Whatever it does is true or not it feels more responsive. I also like the eco mode when I hit the pedal it accelerates gradually under more control less jerkiness. Keep the rpms that Low has given me avg mpg. Yes it’s because I’m restricted for a good chunk of the pedal before it really goes. I tested it with my father today. Went out for breakfast let him drive it normal then after breakfast I put it on sport. I told him to be easy and stepped on it and immediately looked at my like what the **** and whoa. After that it was him flooring it at lights and playing with the pedal at different speeds. He loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevestrike

Reaction score
OK mini-review time.

The first Sprint Booster they sent me the wrong application for the new 2019 Ram. They sorted it and sent me the right one fairly quickly so that's a plus for them. I also spoke to a very knowledgeable guy named Norman who helped me sort it all out--so if you're out there Norm--thank you. Overall, the buying experience and post-purchase support were spot-on.

So how well does the product work? Here is the best way I can answer that: After driving with it for 5 days, I can say that I don't want to drive without it. I don't know that it "fixes" all of the pedal lag that exists in this truck, but it does make everything feel snappier. Could you get the same effect by driving with a really heavy foot and flooring the gas pedal everywhere you go? Possibly yes. It seems like this is something I can set and forget which makes it perfect for what I'm looking for, which is just a little more enjoyment out of my daily drive.

For me, driving the truck is more enjoyable with this mod and at the end of the day that's what I was looking for.

PS--Race 3 is my current preference but I fee like I'll probable settle on Race 1 or 2 and then never touch the controller again

Users who are viewing this thread