5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPIED: Multiple 2020 Ram HD trucks caught testing

haywaj

Reaction score
The fleet article is comparing this new ZF powerline vs other 6 speed medium duty transmissions. Ram will be comparing it vs their existing Aisin 69 trans, so likely any weight savings or efficiency or acceleration improvements will be in single digit % range. I wasn't aware of this potential trans until you shared the link - looks like it could be coming for sure.
It could be that ZF may be doing that intentionally in order to have an alternate market in case RAM goes with Aisin. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

haywaj

Reaction score
It's frustrating that there are so few leads on the new HD - I find myself looking at many different sites and trying to fit the puzzle pieces together...guys like us want 1000 lb.ft of torque, the ZF trans has 100 lb.ft. capacity, that sort of thing...

ichime

Reaction score
I originally thought that the ZF was going to replace the 66RFE (gas motor), but I've been told this will replace that as well as the 68RFE while the Aisin will be available for the trucks with the longer rear ends/max towing. Matter of fact, ZF recently retrofitted this 8 speed on a 2015 Ram 3500: https://www.equipmentworld.com/test...line-transmission-aims-to-dominate-class-5-8/

I have more info on the HDs and some other stuff which I'll post later.

Edit: just saw Haywaj's post about the same thing (guess I'm late to the party lol) but I'll be posting more info. Just want to make sure my source would feel comfortable revealing certain things to the public.

Last edited:

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are on the right track I believe, based on what I have heard, I've got a strong feeling that ZF Powerline transmission will be under most of the new HD trucks. I have had a few sources send me the link to that fleetowner article over the past week.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
That's a cool video. Interesting conversation in the background. 2nd gear starts, roll back programming, 10% efficiency gains, strong exhaust brake, all good stuff.

ichime

Reaction score
I originally thought that the ZF was going to replace the 66RFE (gas motor), but I've been told this will replace that as well as the 68RFE while the Aisin will be available for the trucks with the longer rear ends/max towing. Matter of fact, ZF recently retrofitted this 8 speed on a 2015 Ram 3500: https://www.equipmentworld.com/test...line-transmission-aims-to-dominate-class-5-8/

I have more info on the HDs and some other stuff which I'll post later.

Edit: just saw Haywaj's post about the same thing (guess I'm late to the party lol) but I'll be posting more info. Just want to make sure my source would feel comfortable revealing certain things to the public.

I went over the info I wanted to post with Jared who will have another article on the HDs with some of that info when it's ready ;)

Users who are viewing this thread