5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPIED: Multiple 2020 Ram HD trucks caught testing

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Laramiefrontcropped.jpg

We've got new Tradesman and Laramie shots

From the main page:

Thanks to our friends at Real Fast Fotography we have a bunch of new 2020 Ram HD pictures to share with you. Caught again are the Tradesman trim regular and crew cab with the 8 foot box and we also have photos of the Laramie crew cab with the 6’4 box. It appears that the HD models are following the 2019 Ram 1500s lighting philosophy with the Tradesman models having halogen headlights while the Laramie has reflector LED headlights. Expect LED headlights to be an option on the Big Horn trim level and standard on Laramie and above.

2020 Ram HD Laramie (Real Fast Fotography)

Expect Longhorn and Limited heavy duties to have yet another headlight setup incorporating projector LEDs as they do in the 2019 1500s. We do know that the headlights will be a completely different shape as the HDs are getting a different front end than the 1500s. The Grille inserts are similar to those of the 2019 1500, but we expect the grille to be a completely different shape, the crosshair grille is gone, but we can see an indentation down the middle of the grille like on some 1500’s that is a bit of a “reverse crosshair” design. Expect all models to have the RAM lettering in the grille as opposed to the Rams head badge.

2020 Ram HD Tradesman (Real Fast Fotography)

2020 Ram HD Laramie (Real Fast Fotography)

We also received some photos of the backs of the Tradesman and Laramie trucks showing the differences in taillights between the 2 trims. Expect the HD’s to have the same taillights as the 2019 1500s with incandescent on the lower trims and LED standard on the higher trims and optional on the Big Horn. Our full gallery is below as well as a link to our article “Everything we know about the 2020 Ram HDs.” We expect to see the 2020 Ram HD unveiled at the North American International Autoshow in Detroit, next January.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like the LEDs on the mirrors will now be running lights. Possibly dual function (running lights and turn signals)?

ichime

Reaction score
Looks like they're still in the early prototype stages since they're using the 4th gen bodies still (based on the body lines on the bed and the door styling. Guess it could be just for testing electronics. If that's the case, it looks like the old bodies could accept the dash on the new 1500s based on that picture with the door opened (the driver side vent looks to be from the new 1500s)

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I heard an interesting rumor that I'm trying to get to the bottom of. I think they are DT beds and DS cabs that have been heavily refreshed. I have some other pictures that really make me think that might be true. They could also be wrong and these might be early mules. I hope to have more info soon.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Boy that would be interesting. So light duty DT would be 140.5 (old quad, 6'4" bed), 144.5 (new crew, 5'7"), and 153.5 (new crew, 6'4") wheelbases and HD would be 149 (old crew, 6,4") and 169 (old crew, 8' bed or old mega, 6'4" bed)?

That would surprise me, i assumed HD would have a reg cab, 8' bed, add a quad and 8' bed, have 153.5 (new crew, 6'4"), and a new WB for new crew with 8" bed (just under 169?) while eliminating the mega.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Boy that would be interesting. So light duty DT would be 140.5 (old quad, 6'4" bed), 144.5 (new crew, 5'7"), and 153.5 (new crew, 6'4") wheelbases and HD would be 149 (old crew, 6,4") and 169 (old crew, 8' bed or old mega, 6'4" bed)?

That would surprise me, i assumed HD would have a reg cab, 8' bed, add a quad and 8' bed, have 153.5 (new crew, 6'4"), and a new WB for new crew with 8" bed (just under 169?) while eliminating the mega.

Mega cab stays from what I've heard.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Mega cab stays from what I've heard.

That's pretty strong evidence then to support the rumor that new HD will use revised DS cabs. Probably pretty significant cost and complexity savings since they could potentially use left over light duty DS cabs at Warren and keep production rolling.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's pretty strong evidence then to support the rumor that new HD will use revised DS cabs. Probably pretty significant cost and complexity savings since they could potentially use left over light duty DS cabs at Warren and keep production rolling.

That along with a few things I've noticed on some photos I have that I haven't posted yet. I don't want to say anything until I'm reasonably sure I'm on the right track but if I'm satisfied I am I'll post the photos and a story.

haywaj

Reaction score
I wonder if the 2500 will get the Aisin AS69, and the 3500 will get an upgraded Aisin 8+ speed?

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I wonder if the 2500 will get the Aisin AS69, and the 3500 will get an upgraded Aisin 8+ speed?

That will probably depend on what torque capacity the 8 speed has. I'm assuming FCA will continue with derated cummins for 2500 and SRW 3500. And i'm assuming the 8 speed (ZF version or Aisin version) will likely not be able to handle the high output cummins in the 3500 DRW. So i'm expecting the opposite, that 2500 and 3500 SRW with derated cummins and 6.4 hemi will have 8 speeds while the mack daddy HO cummins duallies will have a 6 speed.

No proof just my guess.

haywaj

Reaction score
That will probably depend on what torque capacity the 8 speed has. I'm assuming FCA will continue with derated cummins for 2500 and SRW 3500. And i'm assuming the 8 speed (ZF version or Aisin version) will likely not be able to handle the high output cummins in the 3500 DRW. So i'm expecting the opposite, that 2500 and 3500 SRW with derated cummins and 6.4 hemi will have 8 speeds while the mack daddy HO cummins duallies will have a 6 speed.

No proof just my guess.
If they're redesigning the transmission, don't you think that one of the design goals would be to be able to handle the torque of the Cummins? Just food for thought...

Rustydodge

Reaction score
If they're redesigning the transmission, don't you think that one of the design goals would be to be able to handle the torque of the Cummins? Just food for thought...

I think it is more likely that they will offer an 8 speed for the derated cummins and 6.4 hemi than the HO cummins out of the gate. The HO cummins does very well with the current Aisin 6 speed and neither ZF nor Aisin offer much of anything 8 speed that is rated for over 1000 ft-lb. They could well have developed something, however, but then it wouldn't be proven.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it is more likely that they will offer an 8 speed for the derated cummins and 6.4 hemi than the HO cummins out of the gate. The HO cummins does very well with the current Aisin 6 speed and neither ZF nor Aisin offer much of anything 8 speed that is rated for over 1000 ft-lb. They could well have developed something, however, but then it wouldn't be proven.
You know they can't ignore Allison and their new 9-speed HD transmission.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Both of those transmissions are for medium to heavy duty class 4-7 trucks. I currently see nothing suggesting they will be in Class 3 or under trucks like Ford, Chevy, Ram 1500-3500 although with the Ram 3500 and Ford F350/F450 blurring the lines with a Class 4 medium truck it is possible.

haywaj

Reaction score
Both of those transmissions are for medium to heavy duty class 4-7 trucks. I currently see nothing suggesting they will be in Class 3 or under trucks like Ford, Chevy, Ram 1500-3500 although with the Ram 3500 and Ford F350/F450 blurring the lines with a Class 4 medium truck it is possible.
My take is this - they are claiming 1. weight savings (at 300 lbs this weighs less than the Aisin), 2. greater fuel efficiency, 3. better driveability/operator satisfaction, 4. lower overall less CO2 emissions, and 5. increased capability to 1000 lb.ft. torque. Other than these, there is no benefit.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
My take is this - they are claiming 1. weight savings (at 300 lbs this weighs less than the Aisin), 2. greater fuel efficiency, 3. better driveability/operator satisfaction, 4. lower overall less CO2 emissions, and 5. increased capability to 1000 lb.ft. torque. Other than these, there is no benefit.

The fleet article is comparing this new ZF powerline vs other 6 speed medium duty transmissions. Ram will be comparing it vs their existing Aisin 69 trans, so likely any weight savings or efficiency or acceleration improvements will be in single digit % range. I wasn't aware of this potential trans until you shared the link - looks like it could be coming for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread