5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire WARNING

BadAspSVT

Reaction score
Was the "rolling height" the same - or did it start throwing ABS & Traction Control errors? As long as the OUTSIDE DIAMETER of the assembly is close, it should get you to safety.

Also something to note: the next time your trucks are in for a rotation - have them drop the spare and check the inflation. Nothing like a flat spare. I carry a 12V compressor anyways (and a plug kit). Goes without saying - NEVER USE FIX-A-FLAT on a TPMS equipped wheel, unless you want to shell out for a new TPMS Sensor.

Regards,

Rick

No warning lights other than the low pressure warning as expected. I should be okay for the next 24 hours until my replacement tire comes in to be installed.

Great call on checking the spare tire pressure

ramhead

Reaction score
Just had my 1st unfortunate flat with my brand new (1800 miles) limited with the 22’s. The spare fit perfectly.

ace05f7ffba3398fa65ce7b0a7927bb2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same just happened to me......I have only 2K miles on it and tire is like brand new A piece of metal on highway slashed the sidewall of my 20" Nexen....come to find out the road hazard warranty DOES NOT APPLY to OEM provided new truck tires....only if you buy the tires separately/replacement. It's right there in the fine print of their warranty - I also called Nexen and was told the same thing. Another scam. Also, I have low comprehensive coverage on my insurance but that won't cover it either. I think she said vandalism is covered.....should've just claimed someone slashed my tire I guess...lol

I was thrown too when I dropped the spare and it was an 18" tire but it worked. Luckily I only had to go a few miles. Place close by is an authorized Nexen dealer and gave me a price of $170 installed for the replacement. Welp, guess I'm fortunate it was only the tire and no rim /body damage or accident resulted from the incident.

BadAspSVT

Reaction score
Same just happened to me......I have only 2K miles on it and tire is like brand new A piece of metal on highway slashed the sidewall of my 20" Nexen....come to find out the road hazard warranty DOES NOT APPLY to OEM provided new truck tires....only if you buy the tires separately/replacement. It's right there in the fine print of their warranty - I also called Nexen and was told the same thing. Another scam. Also, I have low comprehensive coverage on my insurance but that won't cover it either. I think she said vandalism is covered.....should've just claimed someone slashed my tire I guess...lol

I was thrown too when I dropped the spare and it was an 18" tire but it worked. Luckily I only had to go a few miles. Place close by is an authorized Nexen dealer and gave me a price of $170 installed for the replacement. Welp, guess I'm fortunate it was only the tire and no rim /body damage or accident resulted from the incident.

I am looking at over $300 with tax and mounting for my Good Year 22" replacement. I may get the road hazard warranty that Pep Boys offers

Cravenfan

Reaction score
So, I'll need to check on what mine is under the truck, but for a spare, spare for long trips, hunting, etc. would you recommend a 20" tire, with my 22" tire package on the truck, or another 18" tire? I picked up a spare, spare for my GMC at a junkyard, it was off a wrecked truck, same 20" tires as I had on that setup. I just threw it in the back, just in case. Assuming 22" spare, spares are tough to come by? Anything online that would work?

Boa24

Reaction score
I just ordered a 18" stock wheel to use in my spare location. I'll purchase a tire when it comes in. I've already had to use the stock spare, luckily I was 3 miles from the house when I got the flat. That thing looks sketchy

ramhead

Reaction score
I just ordered a 18" stock wheel to use in my spare location. I'll purchase a tire when it comes in. I've already had to use the stock spare, luckily I was 3 miles from the house when I got the flat. That thing looks sketchy

At first I thought so too but it's really no different than those space saver spares that have been used for years in cars & kept under panel in the trunk. It's really only meant to get you home/to repair shop so I think for what it is it works.....problem is a lot of people think they can use an emergency spare to drive around until they have time to deal with the tire getting fixed. Also, consider its usage...on my old truck I never even used the OE spare and it stayed tucked under the truck the whole time. From a business angle with cost, etc., I understand the manf. not supplying a full sized or high quality tire as a spare which in some cases may never be used or, used sparingly (ha...see what I did there??).

LawnD4rt

Reaction score
I looked under mine today for curiosity before I saw this post. I have a steel rim 275/65/18. I have the ORG on stock 20" still.

So are 33" 275/60/20 or 275/70/18 the biggest to fit in the spare tire space? I was originally looking to change to 275/65/20 but I would want a compatible spare.

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
I looked under mine today for curiosity before I saw this post. I have a steel rim 275/65/18. I have the ORG on stock 20" still.

So are 33" 275/60/20 or 275/70/18 the biggest to fit in the spare tire space? I was originally looking to change to 275/65/20 but I would want a compatible spare.
I'd like to know this too?

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I have the attached doesn’t look anything like the rims that came on the truck

stock 18

Attachments

• ADD604E6-20EB-45DC-B084-EDE9B0126C1C.jpeg
    ADD604E6-20EB-45DC-B084-EDE9B0126C1C.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
My build sheet calls for an 18” aluminum spare.
My spare is a 245/70r18. I ordered a 20" rim to match my stock rims. It looks like there's room in there. We'll see. If not, I'll have a spare rim if I ever bend/chip one.

My stock tires are 275/55r20. I'm about to mount 275/60r20. My stock 55r20's have less than 2K miles on them and i'll use one for the 20" spare i ordered.

Last edited:

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
Not happening on the full size spare... The opening for the hub on the full size is smaller than the spare rim. The little bracket on the end of the cable won't fit through it.

Oh well.

rainmakerch

Reaction score
I just bought a 2020 Laramie and I did not like seeing the 18 inch spare with a temporary tire. So i bought 3 20" rims and a used tire, and going to put a full size 275/60/20 on a 20" rim on there. Im glad to see that it'll fit. It's really annoying that they cheaped out on the spare.

Users who are viewing this thread