5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare Tire ruined by Ram factory mount

stunningfeline

Reaction score
Hello,

I got a flat on my 2020 2500 mega cab. I was able to get the truck home before it ran out of air. I dropped the spare and the underside of the tire that makes contact with the under body of the truck was rubbed raw. The sidewalls are ruined. I wonder if anybody else has even looked at their spare? or have had this problem?

The dealer said tires are not covered (still under factory warranty). I called Ram customer care and the case manager denied any claim. I asked for a manager, who took two days to call. The manager said Ram does cover tires. I explained this isn't a 'tire' issue, the damage was caused by the way the tire was mounted under the truck. They said take it to the dealer... dealer said to call customer care.

I filed a complaint with the Feds on the issue but don't expect much.

Any ideas on who else to talk to??

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

I got a flat on my 2020 2500 mega cab. I was able to get the truck home before it ran out of air. I dropped the spare and the underside of the tire that makes contact with the under body of the truck was rubbed raw. The sidewalls are ruined. I wonder if anybody else has even looked at their spare? or have had this problem?

The dealer said tires are not covered (still under factory warranty). I called Ram customer care and the case manager denied any claim. I asked for a manager, who took two days to call. The manager said Ram does cover tires. I explained this isn't a 'tire' issue, the damage was caused by the way the tire was mounted under the truck. They said take it to the dealer... dealer said to call customer care.

I filed a complaint with the Feds on the issue but don't expect much.

Any ideas on who else to talk to??

View attachment 134583 View attachment 134582
talk to @RamCares
believe they would help more. then anyone here can

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's not ruined. Still usable as a spare tire. The rubber is worn through. You can still see the pattern in the letters. I'm guessing you have never had to use the spare tire on any truck where it's mounted under the bed before. And have never dropped one to check it.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run matched spares on my trucks. Meaning, I replace the cheap rim with one that matches my mounted ones, and then install a matching tire. I use these in a 5 wheel rotation. I've never had any issues with my spares' function or durability, and they have all looked very similar when they're taken down. After a few washes and a little time on the truck you don't even see the marks any more.
I'd call that normal. That said, since it's hard to really tell from a photo, if the sidewall is damaged from rubbing, I'd say the tire wasn't mounted tight enough under the truck. When you crank the tire up there, the winch will ratchet when it's tight. If the tire isn't tight it can move around, and friction could certainly cause damage. If that's what happened I certainly understand the complaint. That's an install issue though, not a design flaw. Every truck I've ever had (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) have all mounted the spares the exact same way.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That is normal for just about every vehicle made that has a spare tire mounted underneath it. It is just the indentations from whatever the tire is held tight against. The tire isn't ruined. Ugly yes but ruined no

Users who are viewing this thread