5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spam posts

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I get on at 0645 (eastern time) every morning M to F. Unless @SpeedyV is on before that nailing it down...i have had a maximum of 7 spam posts to delete.

On weekends... I try to stay away...but because of the spam have been checking in more often.

Maybe one or 2 throughout the day.

If we were to approve every first post the load would be even more.

I do not care one way or the other. It doesn't affect me. I clean them when i see them. Both here and HD RAMS.

It is about camping season...we go off grid...so I will not be on as much.

Usually here it is me and @SpeedyV and @edrclark they do a great job for the pay. @YoAdrian just got active again.

The rest have not been on in a long time.

@Jared B @redriderbob you got some volunteers in this thread that want to help.

I will be going radio silent most weekends from here on out...so anyone who wants to help...post up.

Not sure this spam thing is really that big a deal...but it seems to have a few bothered.

Thanks for the offers of help.

Hopefully one of you will understand politics and hurt feelings better than I do also. Only a few report it...but I guess it bothers many too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I get on at 0645 (eastern time) every morning M to F. Unless @SpeedyV is on before that nailing it down...i have had a maximum of 7 spam posts to delete.

On weekends... I try to stay away...but because of the spam have been checking in more often.

Maybe one or 2 throughout the day.

If we were to approve every first post the load would be even more.

I do not care one way or the other. It doesn't affect me. I clean them when i see them. Both here and HD RAMS.

It is about camping season...we go off grid...so I will not be on as much.

Usually here it is me and @SpeedyV and @edrclark they do a great job for the pay. @YoAdrian just got active again.

The rest have not been on in a long time.

@Jared B @redriderbob you got some volunteers in this thread that want to help.

I will be going radio silent most weekends from here on out...so anyone who wants to help...post up.

Not sure this spam thing is really that big a deal...but it seems to have a few bothered.

Thanks for the offers of help.

Hopefully one of you will understand politics and hurt feelings better than I do also. Only a few report it...but I guess it bothers many too.
The morning that started this thread, I was in at 5:45 am central time. There was at least one spam post in every sub forum that filled up most of the first three pages of "new activity" and then some. And it was from multiple different profiles. Usually I will report the posts when I see them, but didn't have time to report every post that morning. It hasn't been that bad since, but still too many posts get through

I'm on almost every morning, and would be willing to help out if wanted.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The morning that started this thread, I was in at 5:45 am central time. There was at least one spam post in every sub forum that filled up most of the first three pages of "new activity" and then some. And it was from multiple different profiles. Usually I will report the posts when I see them, but didn't have time to report every post that morning. It hasn't been that bad since, but still too many posts get through

I'm on almost every morning, and would be willing to help out if wanted.
I think the new post tab is what makes it seem so terrible.

If you were to just look through the forums as some do....you may not even notice them.

It is pretty easy to get rid of them. Click name. Click moderator tools tab. Click spam. Gone.

It is just that we can not be on at all times. The forum is worldwide.

We may get 5 approvals at max most days. Again. Real easy. Click spam. Save. Done.

I think if you get the job...you will see a much different view point.

As far as reports. Very very few report it. Most who do have spoke up in this thread.

You will find, if you get the job there are really only 2 people who report stuff snd maybe 3 members who cause issues.

Seems like the site polices itself pretty good.

Good luck. Hope they add some of you to the staff. The pay is great and the rewards priceless.

Oh. And another large ram forum that has a moderator assigned to each sub forum and who have a compensation for the job also let some spam slip through during this time. And they use a different server also.

I know it does not mean much, but your doing a great job @SpeedyV @edrclark @YoAdrian and over at the real truck forum @Brutal_HO is doing a fantastic job. He even finds time to edit threads and make sense out of the same question that gets asked 15 times.

I tried that once. Not enough time to keep up with all the banter here.

Great forum. Top notch 5th Gen Ram information. Members share and help with every possible question or rant.

Best group of people i have been involved with.

Good times.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can be another to help out if anyone needs it. I’m on periodically from 6am-9pm.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
<snip>

As far as reports. Very very few report it. Most who do have spoke up in this thread.

You will find, if you get the job there are really only 2 people who report stuff snd maybe 3 members who cause issues.

<snip>

Funny, I notice that (occasionally) on HDRams. a post will have 10-15-20 views and not one person has bothered to report the SPAM. Most of the reports are from old, regular members.

It takes help from the community to police.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you have mods that aren’t active anymore. Ask them to become more active or replace them. Being a mod isn’t for everyone and some people have a life that gets in the way, it’s understandable. I stopped being active on my other gm forums so I requested to be replaced.

And why the heck hasn’t that freedom convoy thread been deleted yet? Politics isn’t allowed here per the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have mods that aren’t active anymore. Ask them to become more active or replace them. Being a mod isn’t for everyone and some people have a life that gets in the way, it’s understandable. I stopped being active on my other gm forums so I requested to be replaced.

And why the heck hasn’t that freedom convoy thread been deleted yet? Politics isn’t allowed here per the rules.

There are 2. How do you ask them when they do not sign in any more.

We do not control any of this.

And I have not seen anywhere in the rules that politics isn't allowed.

If political talk bothers a person. Report it. It is looked at and taken care of.

I do not do the political thing. If a bunch of guys...there are like 4...want to argue about the same stuff day in and day out...who am I to stop them. Only one person reports it...if alot did I would get the impression more where offended.

I do not do feelings and do not get politics.

So if there is someone out there who likes to police those things...please by all means step up.

Ignore button and knowing a thread title may contain political banter stay away.

I do not read them often enough to police them. Doesn't interest me. Sorry.

Report and report regularly...that catches eyes.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So you’re saying you’re not active in the day to day of the forum? And really only see reported content?

Sorry I confused the rules of this with a different forum.

And no, you as a mod can’t do anything. But the admins can. If the other mods aren’t logging in, request the admin kick them and assign duties to someone else, it’s not too hard. Do some vetting and request some people be mods. I’m sure you know who is level headed and active here. And adding people in different time zones is also a plus.

This forum is actually pretty active, but I see a trend of things happening that kill forums and have people log in elsewhere.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We get like one report a month from the same member.

I do not get politics. We had a member who reported every time he saw the letters TR together. He asked to be removed.

I am not going to police something unless it is reported.

I am charging batteries for camping...or I would not be involved in this conversation either.

Sorry. Stuff is reported we look at it.

If it isn't. I do not have time to go find it and make my opinion of something.

@Jared B can add more or delete them if he likes. I am not losing any sleep over it.

If he chooses to add more so be it. I hope he does.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So you’re saying you’re not active in the day to day of the forum? And really only see reported content?

Sorry I confused the rules of this with a different forum.

And no, you as a mod can’t do anything. But the admins can. If the other mods aren’t logging in, request the admin kick them and assign duties to someone else, it’s not too hard. Do some vetting and request some people be mods. I’m sure you know who is level headed and active here. And adding people in different time zones is also a plus.

This forum is actually pretty active, but I see a trend of things happening that kill forums and have people log in elsewhere.

I think he is saying the group admins that have the power to add/delete mods aren't that active. I looked, and one hasn't been on in almost a year, and the other tmhasnt logged on since Friday. The mods that are active are doing what they can

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We would have hashed this out days ago...if we were out in our trucks enjoying a fire and some food.

I dislike the internet...but I love talking about RAM trucks.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Best I can do.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This morning.

16 reports. Got on at 654. Cleaned at 656. Found 1 other.

2 mins of my time. Unless I am missing something.
That’s about all it takes for me to report them when I get on around six in the morning. 👍

it would be nice if the cool down period for reporting was removed, but I know you don’t have any part of that.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s about all it takes for me to report them when I get on around six in the morning. 👍

it would be nice if the cool down period for reporting was removed, but I know you don’t have any part of that.
Just cleaned the 2 more reports and found 1 other.

Yeah. The reporting time out is an odd one for sure.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just cleaned the 2 more reports and found 1 other.

Yeah. The reporting time out is an odd one for sure.
Just to give you some background- I’m a software engineer as my full-time job and I own a business doing software engineering (also have a family business in auto repair that unless active in). I understand the cool down period just like debouncing a button. You don’t want people rapid firing and reporting everything if they’re disgruntled or if they are unsure whether the action worked. I’ve logged users hitting a button several dozen times because they didn’t wait the half second or so to find out if it worked.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if DD has seen it here, but too many reports and/or reports on a spammer with too many posts across all subforums seems to whack xenforo ability to allow the use of the spam hammer on the member ID or post. I found that finding the very first post sometimes works. It doesn't happen often enough to easily determine the pattern.

The xenforo forum hasn't brought much light to the subject.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Having been an admin on multiple forums from everything from SimpleMachine software, Vbulletin, etc... there are steps that can be deployed for the user registration process that greatly limits the amount of trash that gets in.

Users who are viewing this thread