5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spam posts

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No I haven't. Is it good? I'll have to check it out.

Many like it, I didn't really care for it that much, just OK. The oyster sauce was a little too fishy for me and I like most all seafood. Maybe mine was a little too ripe. LOL

However, it was given to me for lunch by a client at their office in HI so I shut up and ate it.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Many like it, I didn't really care for it that much, just OK. The oyster sauce was a little too fishy for me and I like most all seafood. Maybe mine was a little too ripe. LOL

However, it was given to me for lunch by a client at their office in HI so I shut up and ate it.
That’s sounds nasty. No respecting Hawaiian would ever put oyster sauce on their spam musubi. Pan fried in teriyaki sauce, or straight up pan fried no sauce, only way to eat that musubi, lol!

1648083782727.png

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, this is just about rediculous. Log in this morning and the first three pages of "new" posts are 90% spam posts. Pictures are uljuat the first page

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220326-075722.png
    Screenshot_20220326-075722.png
    460.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20220326-075737.png
    Screenshot_20220326-075737.png
    483.1 KB · Views: 18

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Okay, this is just about rediculous. Log in this morning and the first three pages of "new" posts are 90% spam posts. Pictures are uljuat the first page
I agree. Even if it was just the first post had to be approved, that would stop most of it. I doubt if reading all the first posts will take any longer than clearing out the spam. I'd volunteer to be a screener.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. Even if it was just the first post had to be approved, that would stop most of it. I doubt if reading all the first posts will take any longer than clearing out the spam. I'd volunteer to be a screener.
I’m with you on that, we need a higher level of screening for sure!

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might be time to see if there's a xenforo update to close the breach.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I still don't understand why the site admin doesn't require approval of a new members first post before it is posted. This will delete the spamming. and once the admin sees those requested first BS posts, they can be removed and blocked from the group.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I still don't understand why the site admin doesn't require approval of a new members first post before it is posted. This will delete the spamming. and once the admin sees those requested first BS posts, they can be removed and blocked from the group.

So there's not enough mod presence to immediately kill the spammer and this is a good idea how?

Literally no site or group does that.*

* Maybe one in a million facebook groups with a large mod community or infinitesimal membership join rate.

Some of you are making much more of this than it really is.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Just hit ignore on the 1 or 2 members and they go away.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just hit ignore on the 1 or 2 members and they go away.
Until more spam bot accounts pop up and post even more. Shouldn't be my job as a forum member to have to "ignore" this many spam posts on a daily basis. If the admin team.needs more help in controlling this, I would be willing to help out as an admin member.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Might be time to see if there's a xenforo update to close the breach.

I don't think it's preventable by the forum software.

There are 3rd party hooks in place that prevents 99% of the spam, including some top level domain blocks. That's if they get past the initial registration steps that are required. Those can't block the posts coming in from US based VPN addresses without also blocking legit members. Some forums do block known VPN networks and for that, the membership would also likely complain loudly.

What you don't see is the multitude of spammers that actually do get caught in the registration and have to be punted.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So there's not enough mod presence to immediately kill the spammer and this is a good idea how?

* Maybe one in a million facebook groups with a large mod community or infinitesimal membership join rate.

plenty of sites and groups on facebook do that. I admin a few groups on facebook and do just that, approve all posts. plenty of people join the group to just post BS. easily blocked before they can post. Shouldn't be that hard for an admin to do for first time users.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Um no, I mod a few fb groups with thousands of members, and three mods.

It’s not that hard to do.

I also used to mod the gm full size forum, also easy to clean out and there were only four of us mods.

If the workload is too taxing select some guys to help mod this page. As the spam really is getting bad. And this is what drives traffic away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I also used to mod the gm full size forum, also easy to clean out and there were only four of us mods.

If the workload is too taxing select some guys to help mod this page. As the spam really is getting bad. And this is what drives traffic away.

Where do I sign up! I’m on here every day I’d happily spend some time ground through the spam posts

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

^That. All the sites and channels I mod on require approval for new members. It’s not hard to ensure coverage of people who can approve membership requests. Mods are usually free help though, which presents a little bit of an issue when mods aren’t as active as they should be. <- That was speaking in general, and not a reference to how things are done on 5thgenrams.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s been bad enough lately that I spend all of my time cleaning out spam…and have little chance to participate in discussions as a result.

But I’m just part of the “free help”…

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s been bad enough lately that I spend all of my time cleaning out spam…and have little chance to participate in discussions as a result.

But I’m just part of the “free help”…
There are at least two people in this thread who have volunteered to help. If it's that bad, give more people the power to help.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
plenty of sites and groups on facebook do that. I admin a few groups on facebook and do just that, approve all posts. plenty of people join the group to just post BS. easily blocked before they can post. Shouldn't be that hard for an admin to do for first time users.

You can't be serious.

Besides, FB has admin assist that keeps most of the garbage posts out if you set up well.

Users who are viewing this thread