5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold my 2019 Ram 1500 :( What's next??

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

So recently I sold my Ram 1500 BigHorn...
I couldn't keep it for any longer because it had 65K miles on it and I usually don't keep vehicles for more than 40-50K but the Ram was special...

THIS WAS THE BEST, DRIVING-WISE, CAR(TRUCK) I'VE EVER OWNED!!!!
It was at the dealer 10-15 times in the first 30k miles but for some stupid stuff(smelly A/C, steering wheel grinding, body mounts etc')
I also had the eTorque power-pack replaced at 35k miles after the truck didn't start and didn't stay running after a jump start(Was sitting for a month waiting for the part and the repair to be completed). And the infamous broken exhaust manifold bolts at 59k.

It had it's fair share of problems and when I was stranded, I thought about trading it in and never looking at the Ram brand again.
But at the end of the day, this was such a great truck and I'm really considering getting a new one.

I love the new F150 and the new 2022 Chevy interior redesign is really appealing to me...
What do you think, should I try a different brand for the next year and see what the other trucks has to offer or go with Ram again and hope that I get one from a good batch and I don't have any issues?
I really don't know what to do. What would you guys do if you had that many issues and were supposed to decide what to buy next???

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey all I will say issues everywhere FACTS. go test drive the others I came from a 2019 Chevy my goal is to put about 165000 miles on this truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know it's too late now but if you liked that truck so much why did you sell it? What's your reason for only keeping a vehicle for 40-50 thousand miles? Seems like an arbitrary number to me. I could see getting rid of it at 36k (bumper to bumper warranty), or at 60k (power train warranty). Not judging, just curious.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all I will say issues everywhere FACTS. go test drive the others I came from a 2019 Chevy my goal is to put about 165000 miles on this truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah you're right... Other brands are not going to be flawless but maybe they offer better features or better all-around trucks...

I know it's too late now but if you liked that truck so much why did you sell it? What's your reason for only keeping a vehicle for 40-50 thousand miles? Seems like an arbitrary number to me. I could see getting rid of it at 36k (bumper to bumper warranty), or at 60k (power train warranty). Not judging, just curious.
I loved it and I was only thinking of extending the warranty after the 36k-mark but I couldn't.
Usually I sell when the B-B warranty expires but sometimes I keep them until the powertrain warranty is up... I like having new vehicles and the warranty expiration just motivates me to trade them in :D

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I loved it and I was only thinking of extending the warranty after the 36k-mark but I couldn't.
Usually I sell when the B-B warranty expires but sometimes I keep them until the powertrain warranty is up... I like having new vehicles and the warranty expiration just motivates me to trade them in :D
I hear that. It's nice having a warranty to fall back on. I usually get rid of a vehicle before 36k, but I'm thinking I might keep my current one longer. It has everything I want in a truck. Who knows what new features they might have in 5 years though. :D

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

So recently I sold my Ram 1500 BigHorn...
I couldn't keep it for any longer because it had 65K miles on it and I usually don't keep vehicles for more than 40-50K but the Ram was special...

THIS WAS THE BEST, DRIVING-WISE, CAR(TRUCK) I'VE EVER OWNED!!!!
It was at the dealer 10-15 times in the first 30k miles but for some stupid stuff(smelly A/C, steering wheel grinding, body mounts etc')
I also had the eTorque power-pack replaced at 35k miles after the truck didn't start and didn't stay running after a jump start(Was sitting for a month waiting for the part and the repair to be completed). And the infamous broken exhaust manifold bolts at 59k.

It had it's fair share of problems and when I was stranded, I thought about trading it in and never looking at the Ram brand again.
But at the end of the day, this was such a great truck and I'm really considering getting a new one.

I love the new F150 and the new 2022 Chevy interior redesign is really appealing to me...
What do you think, should I try a different brand for the next year and see what the other trucks has to offer or go with Ram again and hope that I get one from a good batch and I don't have any issues?
I really don't know what to do. What would you guys do if you had that many issues and were supposed to decide what to buy next???
I'd test drive them all and then make the decision.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'd test drive them all and then make the decision.
What draws me to the F150 the most is the power... Ram is a heavy cow compared to them, they are lighter and have sh*t ton of torque... I was really impressed with the 3.5EB and even the 5.0...
Chevy has the 6.2 and it's too, faster and more powerful than the Hemi...
I think I like the 2022 Chevy interior better than Ford...
Exterior-wise, I still think that the Sierra Denali is by far, the best looking truck out there.
Ride quality: Sierra does something that feels more smooth to me, I don't know what is it, it just feel better than the Ram(could be because I usually drive the standard suspension in the Ram and not air suspension).
Ford is not as smooth as Ram or Chevy but they are very good, too. and quieter.
Though call man....

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Up until covid I bought a new truck every year due to the mileage i put on and the fact that I have my own company and bill customers for mileage. Up until this truck I always owned Silverado's usually either LTZ or High Country. Due to covid I couldn't find a loaded Silverado but a dealer had a new Limited on the lot, decided to try a Ram for a change of pace.
I will say I love my Ram there are trade off's between the two trucks both are nice trucks.
I definitely miss my 6.2 10 speed power train but Ram didn't have anything like that for the Limited.
Ride quality is about the same, I feel the Ram interior is light years ahead of the Silverado even with the new 2022 interior.
For some reason I have never really liked the ford truck, I did test drive a Platinum with the HO eco boost. It was like a rocket but I still would take 6.2 10 speed over it.
I don't think you can go wrong with either of the big 3, I am interested to see what Toyota offers when they do their refresh. I need technology to make me happy :)
Tom

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Up until covid I bought a new truck every year due to the mileage i put on and the fact that I have my own company and bill customers for mileage. Up until this truck I always owned Silverado's usually either LTZ or High Country. Due to covid I couldn't find a loaded Silverado but a dealer had a new Limited on the lot, decided to try a Ram for a change of pace.
I will say I love my Ram there are trade off's between the two trucks both are nice trucks.
I definitely miss my 6.2 10 speed power train but Ram didn't have anything like that for the Limited.
Ride quality is about the same, I feel the Ram interior is light years ahead of the Silverado even with the new 2022 interior.
For some reason I have never really liked the ford truck, I did test drive a Platinum with the HO eco boost. It was like a rocket but I still would take 6.2 10 speed over it.
I don't think you can go wrong with either of the big 3, I am interested to see what Toyota offers when they do their refresh. I need technology to make me happy :)
Tom
I think the only way I'd go Ford is for the new Lightning. I wanted to order one, but don't think charging stations are fast or plentiful enough to not be a PITA when taking long trips.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Heck, if you will only own a new vehicle, take your pick. Anything should get you to the 50k mark. Sounds like the last one was a lot of trouble.. I certainly hope this truck holds up. I had a couple of Nissans that only had maintenance items for 280k on one and 150k on the other. They are not as nice as a Ram though.

Heck with worrying about a warranty. Pay it off and drive the crap out of it. What is a major repair going to cost? The equivalent of a few payments? I know, someone will chime in with the one in a million engine replacement. But if you made it 50k on a motor, you will make it 200k. What else? You strip out the ring gear because it was a crappy 3:21 set up? Upgrade to the 3:92 rear you should have gotten to begin with. (I couldn't resist the trigger) It is only a payment or two and then you are driving for free again.

A new truck payment is an expensive warranty plan.

lkjk

Reaction score
Heck, if you will only own a new vehicle, take your pick. Anything should get you to the 50k mark. Sounds like the last one was a lot of trouble.. I certainly hope this truck holds up. I had a couple of Nissans that only had maintenance items for 280k on one and 150k on the other. They are not as nice as a Ram though.

Heck with worrying about a warranty. Pay it off and drive the crap out of it. What is a major repair going to cost? The equivalent of a few payments? I know, someone will chime in with the one in a million engine replacement. But if you made it 50k on a motor, you will make it 200k. What else? You strip out the ring gear because it was a crappy 3:21 set up? Upgrade to the 3:92 rear you should have gotten to begin with. (I couldn't resist the trigger) It is only a payment or two and then you are driving for free again.

A new truck payment is an expensive warranty plan.
Hemi's paired with the 3.92's only make it to 61K. Something about the extra few hundred RPM makes them explode

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Hemi's paired with the 3.92's only make it to 61K. Something about the extra few hundred RPM makes them explode
OMG! I have heard that on a thread here somewhere. Can it be?!? 🤣

silver billet

Reaction score
Every truck is a compromise. There is no "best truck", just "best truck for me". I value purchase price, looks, ride quality, interior comfort, smooth drive train, MPG, and yes power and reliability. But statistically speaking most people will buy a reliable truck regardless of brand. In the order of my priority's, Ram is the obvious choice, but your choice might be different.

I would never turn down more power in a truck if it's a reasonable cost and doesn't affect MPG or the quality of the experience. So I'm not a fan of turbos even though they put out more power because they are generally not as smooth/linear, not as reliable, and get pretty ****ty MPG when you push/work them hard. Also they sound like a fart in a tin can.

The GM 5.3 and 6.2 are currently suffering from a plague of lifter failures (sound familiar??). I'd avoid them, but the diesel and the 2.7 have a great reputation (but again, turbo for the 2.7). Both the diesel and the 2.7 have just been bumped 3000 to 4000 pounds extra of towing due to changes they made in strenghening the block (2.7) and improving cooling (diesel), which is massive and important to me.

I don't know, if I had to replace my truck today it would either be exactly the same truck, or a 2022 GMC with the 3.0 diesel (so I'd want the new interior). But again, ride quality is not as good unless you get their top trim with the magna ride or whatever it is. And then we get into purchase price again which well, top priority for me, Ram can't be beat in my area. You just get more bang for your buck, and as long as your hemi stays together (which is only the real weakspot in these trucks to date if purchasing new today), you generally get one heck of a good truck.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Tundra or F150 Lightning.

Silverado, Sierra, and F150 have unacceptable ride quality b/c leaf springs.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the great input guys!

either way come back and let us know what you decide on....I think your waiting on december to order that new Tundra ;)
Yeah man.. I'll definitely go check it out... I don't like the way it looks right now but I think it'll change when I see it in person.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the great input guys!

Yeah man.. I'll definitely go check it out... I don't like the way it looks right now but I think it'll change when I see it in person.
i been keeping an eye on it as well...might be there guinea pig..lol....the reason i started looking at it is because i can walk away with about $10000 if i sold or traded my Ram in its def a good time to sell your truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online