5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold my 2019 Ram 1500 :( What's next??

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I have always been a Chevy guy. The 5.3 is ok, but nothing like the 5.7 in the ram. I’ve seen others post about the Ford having more power then the 5.7! It could be, I don’t know, but this 5.7 is the funest, quickest truck I’ve ever driven! Not sure why anyone would think they need more speed or power? With that being said my 19 ram was a lemon, I went out and drove all other trucks and decided I like the ram the best! I will never keep this 21 ram past the basic warranty!!! Think tundra Trd pro sport for me next! It’s a hard choice, I do love the ram when they don’t have issues! Good luck!
I enjoy riding in/driving this truck. I just went over my 3/36,000 1 August 2021, so I went and plucked down $1,725 for Maxcare warranty. The truck rides great, functions as intended except for lousy AC, and I had the TSB done and now it is tolerable. SO for me, truck fine. Pulls my trailer when I need to and GG runs also. I do not need to be the fastest off the line or to destination. I will get there and not worry about it. But of course, every bodies needs and wants are different. But for me, my lowly MY 19 Bighorn works.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm comparing full-size trucks. I wasn't comparing a Ram 1500 to a Toyota Supra... It is a fair comparison.
You don't compare horsepower because it doesn't matter, The F150 is faster and more powerful because it has less fixed weight to deal with(and Turbocharged. And Turbo is king when it comes to torque). To make a good truck you don't just give it some power numbers, you have to give the powertrain a good and balanced platform. Ram is just a heavy truck with a little more HP than a much lighter and better all-around F150 with 2.7L EB.
I think Fords feel like tupperware containers inside, but I definitely agree about your assessment of turbos. The only thing I can’t get past is the Chevy 2.7t 4-banger. I will never drive a full-size with a 4 cylinder engine. That’s just wrong. (I know you mentioned the Ford 2.7, I’m just venting about the Chevy engine)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I said turbo is king, but in all reality, electric is king. It’s just sad that our infrastructure and battery tech is not there to make electric vehicles viable for the truck community.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I said turbo is king, but in all reality, electric is king. It’s just sad that our infrastructure and battery tech is not there to make electric vehicles viable for the truck community.
Agreed. It'll change soon tho. We will have a ton of electric trucks within 5 years from now.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm comparing full-size trucks. I wasn't comparing a Ram 1500 to a Toyota Supra... It is a fair comparison.
You don't compare horsepower because it doesn't matter, The F150 is faster and more powerful because it has less fixed weight to deal with(and Turbocharged. And Turbo is king when it comes to torque). To make a good truck you don't just give it some power numbers, you have to give the powertrain a good and balanced platform. Ram is just a heavy truck with a little more HP than a much lighter and better all-around F150 with 2.7L EB.

To be honest I'm not really following what you wrote here. There are two things we're looking at: F150 vs Ram (acceleration) and 2.7 vs 5.7. Those are different discussions. The F150 has an advantage over the Ram because the F150 is lighter, but that doesn't mean Ram's engine is "behind Ford" just because the truck it's in is heavier. If you were to drop the 2.7 inside a Ram and race otherwise identical trucks, you'd see that the match would favour Ram. The longer the race is, the more you'll see that 5.7's extra HP/torque beat out the 2.7. That distinction is important to me, because while I'm all for Ram to lose some weight, I'm not interested in Ram moving to turbos.

The Ram is obviously so much better than the F150 in every other metric that matters to me; Price, ride quality (no air in the F150? Really?? But even the coils is leagues ahead of the leafs), handling is worse (back side skips over bumps), the exterior hasn't changed since 2009 save for some headlight changes etc, interior is only finally catching up, and we all know those turbos overheat, suck fuel, and self implode if you work them hard. The 10 speed also has reports of jerking around, not interested in that at all considering the world class 8 speed ZF we get in our trucks.

If you want to win a stoplight war against me, knock yourself out. I factory ordered the 3.21 on purpose, remember? I'm not interested in 0 to 60 in the least bit. Of course, even there, Ram dominates anything from Ford (TRX) if that's really what you want.

The only attractive bit from the new F150 is the onboard power inverter, which I'm sure will come to other trucks. Other than that, it's a pretty hard pass for me. Even the GM 3.0 diesel is far far more attractive to me than anything from Ford, despite the functional but plain interior.

Users who are viewing this thread