5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So you want to tow a camper! Discussion thread.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine the eTorque uses up a fair chunk of the payload between the drive and the batteries. Mines a 5.7 non-eTorque, 4x4, quad cab Bighorn and my payload by that site is 1,850#. Towing capacity is only 8,310# with the 3.21:1 gears.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine the eTorque uses up a fair chunk of the payload between the drive and the batteries. Mines a 5.7 non-eTorque, 4x4, quad cab Bighorn and my payload by that site is 1,850#. Towing capacity is only 8,310# with the 3.21:1 gears.
Is this using your VIN?

1850 is the default payload for a quad cab.

What does your door sticker say?

Just curious.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is this using your VIN?

1850 is the default payload for a quad cab.

What does your door sticker say?

Just curious.
I got that with the VIN, but I just checked the door sticker and it says the same. I have to laugh at the passenger capacity...I don't think you can fit three adults in the back of a Quad cab!

Attachments

• IMG_6035.JPG
    IMG_6035.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 33

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got that with the VIN, but I just checked the door sticker and it says the same. I have to laugh at the passenger capacity...I don't think you can fit three adults in the back of a Quad cab!
Awesome. You got a perfectly optioned truck.

Thanks for verifying. Appreciated.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome. You got a perfectly optioned truck.

Thanks for verifying. Appreciated.
For payload, maybe, but I have the 3.21:1 gears so it's not perfect for towing - especially with the 33" tires that came on it.:ROFLMAO:

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did and it confirmed my towing capacities. When I ordered the truck I looked at the Ram website which showed higher towing/payload capacities. Now that I have the truck the capacities are lower. It’s the payload that is preventing me from towing the travel trailer I ordered.
I have a 22 1500 Limited, 5.7 eTorque, 3.92. towing package, off-road package.

From the door jamb sticker, the max towing capacity is 10,919 and the max cargo is 1,019.

The cargo capacity seems very low to me. I asked my dealer about it but he was no help.

Does anybody else with a similar vehicle have such a low cargo capacity?
Exactly what options do you have?

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that you hit max towing with an etorque equipped truck. Maybe not max payload though? Could be wrong but the lighter the truck the higher the capacity and towing, among other things.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere that you hit max towing with an etorque equipped truck. Maybe not max payload though? Could be wrong but the lighter the truck the higher the capacity and towing, among other things.

Yes the 12,750 lbs max towing capacity is only with a 4x2 Quad Cab 5.7L eTorque with Max Tow.

Max Tow includes a larger 256mm (10.0”) rear axle to get you that higher 18,350 lbs GCWR, but that’s buried in the fine print.

They require eTorque on it for marketing. Every other eTorque configuration with the standard 235mm (9.25”) axle comes with lower towing capacity.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the 12,750 lbs max towing capacity is only with a 4x2 Quad Cab 5.7L eTorque with Max Tow.

Max Tow includes a larger 256mm (10.0”) rear axle to get you that higher 18,350 lbs GCWR, but that’s buried in the fine print.

They require eTorque on it for marketing. Every other eTorque configuration with the standard 235mm (9.25”) axle comes with lower towing capacity.
Still waiting for a member to show up with the Dana Super 60.

So far...no one has got it.

sessman

Reaction score
Hoping you guys can tell me if this travel trailer is a safe choice for my Ram 1500. I plugged my vin into the calculator and below are my numbers:

MAX PAYLOAD LB

MAX TOWING LB

I'm concerned it may be a tad too big but my wife loves the layout and neither of us would like to go smaller if we can help it. That being said I'm brand new to towing and this will be my first trailer and I want to be conservative and not stressed while towing.

Also included the price, curious if this sounds like a good deal.

As far as us, we have a family of four weighing ~400-450 lbs with a 60 pound dog.

Really appreciate the guidance before I pull the trigger on this one!

Attachments

• 20220529_125811.jpg
    20220529_125811.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220529_122944.jpg
    20220529_122944.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220529_121024.jpg
    20220529_121024.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220529_115203.jpg
    20220529_115203.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220529_152843.jpg
    20220529_152843.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220529_115113.jpg
    20220529_115113.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 66

Bavet

Reaction score
Hoping you guys can tell me if this travel trailer is a safe choice for my Ram 1500. I plugged my vin into the calculator and below are my numbers:

MAX PAYLOAD LB

MAX TOWING LB

I'm concerned it may be a tad too big but my wife loves the layout and neither of us would like to go smaller if we can help it. That being said I'm brand new to towing and this will be my first trailer and I want to be conservative and not stressed while towing.

As far as us, we have a family of four weighing ~400-450 lbs with a 60 pound dog.

Your towing capacity is fine. Like all 1500's it's gonna be your payload that's the problem. Looks like the max your trailer can weigh with all your cargo is 8000 lbs. So what are you gonna take with you? A rule of thumb is tongue weight should be about 13% of trailer weight for safe towing. That's 1040 lbs at 8000 lb max trailer weight. That leaves you about 500 lbs for people and cargo in your truck. A good anti sway hitch weighs 100+lbs and is included in the truck weight, also. Now you're down to 400 lbs for people and cargo. I personally wouldn't go with a trailer this big but others on here have. Obviously there is wiggle room with all my calculations here based on your actual loads.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score

MAX PAYLOAD LB

MAX TOWING LB

You are likely going to be stressed if you are brand new to towing, so just know it's pretty normal until you get a bit of miles under your belt. That's a big trailer behind you at almost 33' and your going to know its there. Price is tough to say because of just all the challenges we are all aware of between inflation, supply chain, supply & demand (RV/trailer sales are on fire)...it used to be a given to get anywhere from 25%-30% off MSRP. I'm guessing those days are over until a lot of things cool off.

Towing with the Hemi be ready to fuel up, a lot. You'll be around 8-10mpg depending on where you are (flat vs hills/mountains).

sessman

Reaction score
You are likely going to be stressed if you are brand new to towing, so just know it's pretty normal until you get a bit of miles under your belt. That's a big trailer behind you at almost 33' and your going to know its there. Price is tough to say because of just all the challenges we are all aware of between inflation, supply chain, supply & demand (RV/trailer sales are on fire)...it used to be a given to get anywhere from 25%-30% off MSRP. I'm guessing those days are over until a lot of things cool off.

Towing with the Hemi be ready to fuel up, a lot. You'll be around 8-10mpg depending on where you are (flat vs hills/mountains).
Appreciate the input...would it be safe to tow this large/heavy of a trailer or does it make most sense for me to look at smaller? I want to enjoy the trip, including driving to and from the destination, and not be white knuckling it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Appreciate the input...would it be safe to tow this large/heavy of a trailer or does it make most sense for me to look at smaller? I want to enjoy the trip, including driving to and from the destination, and not be white knuckling it.
Your truck will pull that trailer no problem, and with a properly set up WDH and a balanced load it wouldn't be too uncomfortable.

Your issue is still the GVWR of the truck (7100 lbs). By the time you add the weight of your family, the dog, the tonneau cover, and a WDH, you're at approximately 6230 lbs. This means you'd have 870 lbs of payload left for the tongue weight of the trailer and anything you'd want to load in the truck.

Even going very conservative and assuming you only load the trailer up to 7200 lbs and managed 12% of that in tongue weight, you're at 864 lbs and out of payload before putting anything else in the truck. I think you probably need to look for something smaller or a different truck.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, I am renting a camper that is a 6500lbs TOYHAULER, which means probably at least a 1000+lbs hitch weight. I can haul everything empty approx 100 miles on slower 2 lane road, or pack all our crap in the back of the trailer. They will supply a weight dist hitch as well, but not adjusted for my truck. I also have sumosprings, but should I add the spacer back in for the ORP? (Ride is better without spacer) Truck in sig line below.

Am I going to kill all the women and children, or just take it easy and remain calm?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Toy haulers are just the worst for half tons, regardless of weight. By design they are incredibly temperamental about weight balance and loading. An HD better copes with too little or too much tongue weight, while a half ton is super sensitive. Without toys in the rear they are super tongue heavy, like 20%.

Like anything else, the biggest factors are your judgment and driving skill. If something doesn’t feel right, pull over.

Beyond that all I’d say is a) see if you can put every ounce possible in the rear of the trailer, and b) try to spend some time adjusting the wdh at the scales (fully loaded) if you’re going any meaningful distance.

I’d probably at least try it given the above.

Jarrod32

Reaction score
Warning: long post with towing and weight examples. If mods think this should go somewhere else, please move it. It is not camper specific, but towing specific. Most of the people on this board who have experience towing will find this boring, but there may be some lurkers (I was one for a while) and others who might gain some useful info.

I have a few antique tractors that I take to different shows and events...most are around 2700 or so pounds. But I have one that is a nasty 5600 pounds, and it pushes my towing and payload limits.

For starters, I have a 2022 Limited with Rambox, MFT, soft roll cover, and all the bells and whistles. So this is about as heavy as you will get. So I am going to have a payload capacity issue before any towing capacity limits. And it is not just the weight of the Rambox themselves, but all the #%@%&$ you throw in them. I have a couple extra receiver hitches, chains and chain binders, heavy duty socket wrenches and a two ton floor jack (just in case).

The door sticker looks like this. I'm not gonna concern myself with the separate "payload" number; I'm just gonna compare to the top line (or bottom line if you prefer) GVWR of 7100#. I'm also going to pay attention to the axle weight ratings.
1694621678399.png

A quick run to the scale with me, the wife, and the truck loaded up with everything I would expect to normally have:
1694621759316.png

If you do a lot of towing, CAT scales are your friend. It costs a few bucks, but the info is invaluable. So we follow up the first trip to the scale with another trip, this time with the empty trailer attached.
1694621836785.png

So we added about 300# to the rear axle, the front axle got a bit lighter with the extra weight behind the rear axle. The trailer weighs 2400# (consistent with trailer specs) with the 300 on the hitch and 2100 on the trailer axles. Now we have our basis...time to add the tractor and head to the scales again. And it does not look good...
1694632010417.png

The front axle is really light, and the rear axle is 500 pounds over the 4100 GAWR. Total vehicle weight is 7600#, which is 500# over GVWR.
We can see that the tractor is 5620#, and our rear axle weight has increased by 1460#...this is 26% of the tractor weight. So, reposition the tractor further back and try again. Here are a couple pictures (from opposite sides of the trailer) showing the tractor's different positions on the trailer. The tractor is facing front on the trailer, so you can see in the first pic that the tractor's rear wheel is just behind the front trailer axle. In the second, after repositioning, the tractor rear wheel is just in front of the rear trailer axle.
1694632301972.png

1694632321403.png

We're maybe only talking about a foot or a foot and a half on the trailer, but what a difference it makes when we hit the scales:
1694632387373.png

Front axle under GAWR (3900) and rear axle under GAWR (4100). Now we have about 660 additional pounds on the rear axle, which is 11% of the tractor weight. Just about perfect. My total weight is 7120, so just a shade over my GVWR, but with a full tank of gas and excess items in the Rambox it is easy to shed 100 pounds quickly. So while I am pushing limits of my payload and towing capacity, I am still within specs. And this is the heaviest item I have to tow, and only do so a few times per year.

And before someone is worried about my trailer being overloaded, it is a 10k (two 5k axles) trailer. And I now have paint marks on the trailer where I need to stop the wheels on the tractor to make sure it is positioned correctly.

Sorry about the long post, and hijacking the camper thread, but maybe this example can help someone out...

Last edited:

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With that tractor weight of 5620lbs, probably does not have fluid in the tires.
Just a thought. Most all working tractors have fluid filled tires like mine.

Users who are viewing this thread