5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, where’s all the trucks with 4” lift?

Todd1500

Reaction score
Have you measured to the top of the fin on your truck? Mine is 6’10”
Do you have the 4" BDS with ORP? Just curious. I'm trying to figure out if I can fit this in my garage.

Todd1500

Reaction score
I do find it interesting that you're at that height. I believe someone else said they're at 6'10" (within a 1/2 inch of yours) with this kit (I assume he must have different tires/springs etc). The factory specs put the base model at 77.5". I have the ORP and measured mine out at 78.5" with no lift. You have the North Edition, which includes the ORP, but you're only measuring 3" taller than I am with the 4" lift and tires that are about 1.5" in diameter larger than stock. So I would expect your truck to be about 4.25" taller than mine. (4" in front and 3" in back averaged out to 3.5" plus half the tire size difference).

I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the math on this one. I would've guessed you're truck to be over an inch taller than what it is.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do find it interesting that you're at that height. I believe someone else said they're at 6'10" (within a 1/2 inch of yours) with this kit (I assume he must have different tires/springs etc). The factory specs put the base model at 77.5". I have the ORP and measured mine out at 78.5" with no lift. You have the North Edition, which includes the ORP, but you're only measuring 3" taller than I am with the 4" lift and tires that are about 1.5" in diameter larger than stock. So I would expect your truck to be about 4.25" taller than mine. (4" in front and 3" in back averaged out to 3.5" plus half the tire size difference).

I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the math on this one. I would've guessed you're truck to be over an inch taller than what it is.
I have the non ORP with the 4in BDS lift...I know I fit into the car wash which has a max height of 84 inches....not sure if that helps?

tobyw

Reaction score

One thing to keep in mind is the rear springs... the factory ORP springs are 1" taller than a regular truck, and the BDS kit is advertised as 4" lift for a regular truck. The BDS literature actually discusses that the rear springs are only ~3" to help eliminate some of the factory rake. Taking that into account, the rear is actually only getting ~2" lift over an ORP truck like ours.

The same holds true up front, only the opposite. Since our trucks have 1" taller struts, the 4" top-hat spacers are actually going to provide 5" total lift versus a regular truck since the struts already have that 1" lift built into them.

Dunno if that actually explains things, but maybe it'll help?

tobyw

Reaction score
Where did you get the decal for the hood?

I ordered a 4x4 sheet of flat black 3M vinyl from Amazon and made it myself. Then I outlined it with red 3M pinstripe tape. It was a massive PITA but I wanted it to match the Jeep :giggle:

IMG_4603.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

Todd1500

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is the rear springs... the factory ORP springs are 1" taller than a regular truck, and the BDS kit is advertised as 4" lift for a regular truck. The BDS literature actually discusses that the rear springs are only ~3" to help eliminate some of the factory rake. Taking that into account, the rear is actually only getting ~2" lift over an ORP truck like ours.

The same holds true up front, only the opposite. Since our trucks have 1" taller struts, the 4" top-hat spacers are actually going to provide 5" total lift versus a regular truck since the struts already have that 1" lift built into them.

Dunno if that actually explains things, but maybe it'll help?
Thank you. Good point. I had thought about that, but kind of forgot to take that into account. I also wasn't sure if it was 3" taller than standard or 3" taller than an ORP since they say the same thing on the lift for the Rebel and it's all the same parts. This also means that the non-ORP is left with more rake.

I had considered that if the truck is too tall, I could swap out the front springs to bring it down a bit. My garage is 6'11" to the trim piece. I would love to put 35s on it, but may end up with 295/60R20s. If I have enough room, the next set could be 35x12.50s.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you. Good point. I had thought about that, but kind of forgot to take that into account. I also wasn't sure if it was 3" taller than standard or 3" taller than an ORP since they say the same thing on the lift for the Rebel and it's all the same parts. This also means that the non-ORP is left with more rake.

I had considered that if the truck is too tall, I could swap out the front springs to bring it down a bit. My garage is 6'11" to the trim piece. I would love to put 35s on it, but may end up with 295/60R20s. If I have enough room, the next set could be 35x12.50s.
Mine (with the stock rear on 35s) is 80” tall at the top of the shark fin antenna. I’m installing a 2” rear lift this week & I’ll measure again but I’m expecting it to be about 82”-82.5” tall. If I did the actual BDS 3” rear coils it’d probably be 83.5”-84” tall. Hope that helps!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score

This doesn’t really answer your question, but I took a pic of my truck next to a stock rebel today so it’ll give you an idea of the 4” kit with 35s vs stock rebel/ORP/north pack

Attachments

• DB539053-BD60-40AB-BACE-20D8D4F376EF.jpeg
    DB539053-BD60-40AB-BACE-20D8D4F376EF.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 148
  • DD502C91-7F6A-4A61-9884-98AF12D519AF.jpeg
    DD502C91-7F6A-4A61-9884-98AF12D519AF.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 149
  • A680B70F-87D7-4B85-82EA-D4DCA6E56D97.jpeg
    A680B70F-87D7-4B85-82EA-D4DCA6E56D97.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 1D46B322-FCBE-48C8-BBEF-6B349188A3A4.jpeg
    1D46B322-FCBE-48C8-BBEF-6B349188A3A4.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 132

DeDax

Reaction score
@ JoeyP, what offset are you fuel shoks? I've been looking at the same wheel and thinking the +1 offset might be best. But your truck looks great.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@ JoeyP, what offset are you fuel shoks? I've been looking at the same wheel and thinking the +1 offset might be best. But your truck looks great.
+1... Its the perfect amount of poke so you don't spray crap down the side of your truck. I dont like fender flares.

Thanks

DeDax

Reaction score
I thought so, they look perfect. And yes, I couldn't agree more about flares. Not a fan.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any of you guys having an issue with your factory skid plate hitting the bracket in the rear? I'm trying to figure out how to resolve. Your can see where the edge of the skid plate is bent up and the paint that is coming off of the bracket.

Attachments

• Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Fuel Tank Skid Plate.jpg
    Fuel Tank Skid Plate.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread