5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I called FCA about Harman Kardon system.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I never had any bulletin or work order on this new truck but did on the one before...I never kept a copy of it but if you go to the thread in the forums about the HK system there is copies posted in that thread of the TSB.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you had the truck at the dealer and they did an update and with your recent build date, that would have meant something more recent than the update that was out last fall. So did you mean something must have come across over air yesterday?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you had the truck at the dealer and they did an update and with your recent build date, that would have meant something more recent than the update that was out last fall. So did you mean something must have come across over air yesterday?

ah no problem.Yes it took place while my truck was parked yesterday all on its own...........

mhb1638

Reaction score
*if* they adjusted something, they need their damn ears checked. No one wants a premium sound system with their bass set to 2/3 to 3/3 low. That logic is retarded. the bass right now is extremely sloppy and overbearing and I'm at -6 out of -9. What engineer developed the sound stage needs to be fired STAT!

Savagescott

Reaction score
*if* they adjusted something, they need their **** ears checked. No one wants a premium sound system with their bass set to 2/3 to 3/3 low. That logic is retarded. the bass right now is extremely sloppy and overbearing and I'm at -6 out of -9. What engineer developed the sound stage needs to be fired STAT!

Unfortunately, if there was a push, I don’t hear any difference. I’m still at -8 and still disappointed.

Savagescott

Reaction score
Unfortunately, if there was a push, I don’t hear any difference. I’m still at -8 and still disappointed.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in their system in the last week? I was out of town for 4 days and came back and I swear the system sounds better... more punch, not nearly as boomy, not nearly the obvious holes is response. I’ve even been able to adjust the bass EQ up to -6 from -9. It just sounds better. Worth noting- the truck was at the dealership while I was gone but they said they did not perform any update relating to the HK. Did FCA send something over air? Is there a way to know if they sent something?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also here to chime in that I have my bass turned down and it's still overbearing at times. It's like some areas are boosted, and others aren't. Some male voices are extremely bad with way too much coming out of the subwoofer, for instance.

Nick54

Reaction score
Following This - Glad I came across this thread because I have been very disappointed with the HK system. In my younger days HK was considered to be better then average and quite good home entertainment equipment. I would love to see something done to improve the system.

John

Reaction score
I noticed that 60% of the time when I start my truck the HK changes from Siriusxm to FM. This just started a few days ago!! Very annoying!

John

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed that 60% of the time when I start my truck the HK changes from Siriusxm to FM. This just started a few days ago!! Very annoying!

John
I know what you wrote, but what I HEARD was “60% of the time, it works every time.” :)

John

Reaction score
Actually, 40% of the time it works great! Lol

DM-SC

Reaction score

John
Mine does the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

44magnumNY2NC

Reaction score
Yes. It can be. These new OEM stereo systems have fail safes built in. They have constant variable crossovers and processing built in. As you increase the volume ther start to turn down frequencies they determine to be damaging to the components. This is done to one prevent damage and two to prevent warranty claims. They can easily back off the processing they have that limits bass frequencies at volumes. For example the user may have bass turned all the way up. Well at low volumes you hear the increase because the OEM determines no damage can be done at that volume. As you turn it up they back it off at 20hz to 60hz and essentially reverse the increase as the volume goes up.

They have total control over everything the audio system does. So if I’m fact they are working on an update I know there is room for improvement in software. Because the amp is all software based.
I agree, the total wattage is more than sufficient to produce enough modulation for the Sq footage of the cabin. I have owned club space in Miami which we had 400k watts of L acoustics speakers which some has SPL of 140db, that room wasn't any louder than clubs in NYC I have dj ed at such as exit or twilo which had around 100k watts. The processing , crossovers and especially phase shifting can maximize loudness and quality of sound if mapped out correctly. My bigger concern is do we all have consistant phasing on all our speakers so that a re mapping will have a consistant improvement for all. Clearly my system lacks critical mid frequencies when I look at a spectrum analyzer ..Lets hope an update improves things with our HK!

DennisY

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing!

Are you guys pressing the 1 or 2 button on the driver side door by chance? Whatever you stored in those not only adjusts where your driver's seat is but also what you had your stereo set to. So for example, I have Sirius stored on my button #1. If I was listening to FM and turned off the truck...later got back in and pressed 1, the seat adjusts to where I had stored the setting and the radio tunes to Sirius. Just thinking out loud here for you...

Separately, to those experiencing too much bass that is muddying things up, my suggestion would be to report that to the dealer next time you are in for some service. If mine were as bad as you guys are describing, I'd probably make a special trip to the dealer to get it fixed. Cool RAM with sucky stereo ruins the whole experience imo.

Neokane

Reaction score
Are you guys pressing the 1 or 2 button on the driver side door by chance? Whatever you stored in those not only adjusts where your driver's seat is but also what you had your stereo set to. So for example, I have Sirius stored on my button #1. If I was listening to FM and turned off the truck...later got back in and pressed 1, the seat adjusts to where I had stored the setting and the radio tunes to Sirius. Just thinking out loud here for you...

Separately, to those experiencing too much bass that is muddying things up, my suggestion would be to report that to the dealer next time you are in for some service. If mine were as bad as you guys are describing, I'd probably make a special trip to the dealer to get it fixed. Cool RAM with sucky stereo ruins the whole experience imo.
I do not have driver seat preferences as an option. No seat 1 or 2 option.
Radio reverts to 97.7 randomly which isnt a save preset or even a station around my area.

DennisY

Reaction score
I do not have driver seat preferences as an option. No seat 1 or 2 option.
Radio reverts to 97.7 randomly which isnt a save preset or even a station around my area.

Gotchas. I should have read up on your truck. Mine is the Limited so no doubt different options. Pretty bizarre what you are experiencing. Worth a trip to your local dealer to ask about it I would think...

badger

Reaction score
The local dealer said they have stopped trying to put this update in because the truck was rejecting it? has anyone heard this from other dealers? They said it should come out in an OTA update.

grinch72

Reaction score
I agree, the total wattage is more than sufficient to produce enough modulation for the Sq footage of the cabin. I have owned club space in Miami which we had 400k watts of L acoustics speakers which some has SPL of 140db, that room wasn't any louder than clubs in NYC I have dj ed at such as exit or twilo which had around 100k watts. The processing , crossovers and especially phase shifting can maximize loudness and quality of sound if mapped out correctly. My bigger concern is do we all have consistant phasing on all our speakers so that a re mapping will have a consistant improvement for all. Clearly my system lacks critical mid frequencies when I look at a spectrum analyzer ..Lets hope an update improves things with our HK!
You owned space?? Use to love that place. Had a few friends that worked there!

Derlant1983

Reaction score

John
Mine started to do this last weekend. As ridiculous as this sounds, I moved Sirius from the backdrop menu to take the top Bluetooth spot and it hasn’t happened since. Is it fixed???

Users who are viewing this thread