5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Icecoldak

Reaction score
I have the vibration issue as well, really started feeling it around 1000 miles now has 2400 miles. setting up an appointment with dealer in the am.
WHat level trim you have?

People have swapped out with aftermarket Rims/Tires and have the same exact vibration as well!

Cesar Frias

Reaction score
There are a few apps out there, surprisingly accurate depending on your phone, but there are actual meters that can measure vibration. The frequency will tell you where it's coming from
Yea....but that app cost $399.00!!! I still have the issue and the truck has been sitting there at the dealer but they haven't found where is the vibration coming from. Its been almost two weeks now. Ram Care is now helping me to follow this up, lets see what happens... My truck is a 2019 limited 1500 and it started vibrate as soon as it reached 7000K and this is the second dealership looking at my truck for this issue.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea....but that app cost $399.00!!! I still have the issue and the truck has been sitting there at the dealer but they haven't found where is the vibration coming from. Its been almost two weeks now. Ram Care is now helping me to follow this up, lets see what happens... My truck is a 2019 limited 1500 and it started vibrate as soon as it reached 7000K and this is the second dealership looking at my truck for this issue.
An app that is $400? I don't know anything about that.... I downloaded two free apps to compare. Both gave similar results and pointed me in the direction of tires

Cesar Frias

Reaction score
An app that is $400? I don't know anything about that.... I downloaded two free apps to compare. Both gave similar results and pointed me in the direction of tires
Yeah, I found that app oi my phone from the "app store" the cost is $399.99....Can you tell me what is the name of the vibration app you found?

Trouble1233

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on how to measure or document the vibration? I've been to the dealer and they say it drives as expected. I tried taking a video of my fast food bag shaking from the vibration on a smooth highway.

Yea put a cup a water in the cup holder it’s crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamCares

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on how to measure or document the vibration? I've been to the dealer and they say it drives as expected. I tried taking a video of my fast food bag shaking from the vibration on a smooth highway.

I have the vibration issue as well, really started feeling it around 1000 miles now has 2400 miles. setting up an appointment with dealer in the am.

Hi @Granite2WD & @OAD - Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message for further support. I would be more than happy to escalate cases on your behalf as you work with your dealers on this.

Mark
RamCares

OAD

Reaction score
update on dealer, they found 1 rim was 1/4 oz off on balance and set tire pressures at 40 psi. all seems good at this point. service rep said tech was advised by ram that all new style rams be running at 40psi. mine was previously at 36 when I drove it off the lot.

someone asked what trim package I have . Its a 2020 Laramie 1500 with the 5.7 and 3.21 gears

I will let folks know if anything changes.

OAD

Reaction score
Hi @Granite2WD & @OAD - Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message for further support. I would be more than happy to escalate cases on your behalf as you work with your dealers on this.

Mark
RamCares
Mark is Dodge doing a deep look and analysis on this? Are the regional service reps investigating as well?

RamCares

Reaction score
Mark is Dodge doing a deep look and analysis on this? Are the regional service reps investigating as well?

I'm glad to hear your dealer was able to get this taken care of for you! Please be sure to keep us posted as you monitor this moving forward. While our team here works with customer concerns on a case by case basis, we do work directly with engineering and brand teams to report developing vehicle concerns in order to pursue further research. This thread has been escalated internally, however, I do not have any additional details to provide at this time.

Mark
RamCares

bfp9

Reaction score
I had the same nasty shimmy above 60mph.

Truck has 28k miles on it sitting on K02s with less than 10k miles on them and somehow in the last two months I developed a nasty shimmy.

Took it to a performance shop I take my other vehicle to and they road force balanced the wheels and found two of the wheels were above 40lbs needed.

I warrantied the K02s through them, that didn’t fix the issue. Turns out I had two wheels with bends in them that must have happened in the last 750 miles.

Thing is, I drive 11 miles to work a day. Total. I frequently don’t drive more than 12 miles a day. And have not gone off-road in probably 5-7k miles at this point. How I managed to bend two wheels on a normal commute is beyond me. And I’m sitting on 305/60/20 tires.

I got the two wheels replaced under warranty as the service manager looked at the wheels, saw no curbing, no scratches, nothing, yet somehow they’re both bent? First time a Ram dealer has come through for me. I was expecting to have to buy new wheels.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I had the same nasty shimmy above 60mph.

Truck has 28k miles on it sitting on K02s with less than 10k miles on them and somehow in the last two months I developed a nasty shimmy.

Took it to a performance shop I take my other vehicle to and they road force balanced the wheels and found two of the wheels were above 40lbs needed.

I warrantied the K02s through them, that didn’t fix the issue. Turns out I had two wheels with bends in them that must have happened in the last 750 miles.

Thing is, I drive 11 miles to work a day. Total. I frequently don’t drive more than 12 miles a day. And have not gone off-road in probably 5-7k miles at this point. How I managed to bend two wheels on a normal commute is beyond me. And I’m sitting on 305/60/20 tires.

I got the two wheels replaced under warranty as the service manager looked at the wheels, saw no curbing, no scratches, nothing, yet somehow they’re both bent? First time a Ram dealer has come through for me. I was expecting to have to buy new wheels.
Might have been some internal stresses or a casting defect and just took some time to reveal itself

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I tried searching other websites for answers and found a thread here https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/vibration-at-highway-speeds-has-anybody-found-a-fix.211394/ that highlights similar unsolved problems with the 4th gen trucks. Some people claim new tires helped and didn't help and the same with road force balancing. Basically the same discussion on the 4th gen truck.

Does anyone know if Ford or Chevy has this issue?

I don't see an end in sight if this problem is 5 years old and in 4th and 5th gen models.

I've yet to measure my tires for uneven wear, but if this shimmy is prematurely wearing out my tires, I'm not going to live with that safety issue and I will move forward with lemon law.

Brain h

Reaction score
ok guys..i had a new thing happen today.
Now this is just for us guys with the air suspension (I guess).
so today out of curiosity I was adjusting the air suspension to OF2 from normal and about halfway through I felt a clunk..so I lowered it and sure enough another clunk. So couple this with the rough shifts, the 3 sets of tires, two sets of rims, rear rotors, 7 visits to two dealers..im convinced that I have a bad or extremely dry slip joint or bad pinion angle and the vibration is coming from the driveshaft not fully engaging at the slipjoint during operation. Any ideas on this ? Any comments @RamCares ? There is almost 900 pages on this one issue alone and not one firm solution...Anyone out there that has the vibration with air suspension please try this and see what happens.

bfp9

Reaction score
ok guys..i had a new thing happen today.
Now this is just for us guys with the air suspension (I guess).
so today out of curiosity I was adjusting the air suspension to OF2 from normal and about halfway through I felt a clunk..so I lowered it and sure enough another clunk. So couple this with the rough shifts, the 3 sets of tires, two sets of rims, rear rotors, 7 visits to two dealers..im convinced that I have a bad or extremely dry slip joint or bad pinion angle and the vibration is coming from the driveshaft not fully engaging at the slipjoint during operation. Any ideas on this ? Any comments @RamCares ? There is almost 900 pages on this one issue alone and not one firm solution...Anyone out there that has the vibration with air suspension please try this and see what happens.

Just went out to my truck and had my SO raise and lower the truck while I was underneath to see if I had any noises. Nothing except the compressor.

For your knowledge, 2019 Limited with Daystar Level and Links with stock wheels, stock control arms, and 305/60/20 K02s.

Edit: to be clear, I don’t have any driveline clunks, any bad rattles, and now no vibrations or shimmies since getting two new rims and 4 new tires under warranty.

Brain h

Reaction score
Just went out to my truck and had my SO raise and lower the truck while I was underneath to see if I had any noises. Nothing except the compressor.

For your knowledge, 2019 Limited with Daystar Level and Links with stock wheels, stock control arms, and 305/60/20 K02s.

Edit: to be clear, I don’t have any driveline clunks, any bad rattles, and now no vibrations or shimmies since getting two new rims and 4 new tires under warranty.
I'm happy for you that you don't have any issues..im about to go crazy hunting mine down..i have two dealerships that are completely disregarding the vibration, calling it normal.

seadragon

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Ford or Chevy has this issue?

I can tell you my F150 had it. My 2016 factory ordered Lariat had a driveline vibration that I chased for 4 years. 3 driveshafts, rebuilt rear diff and several tire balances later and never got resolved. Ford basically gave up and left me hanging.

I ended up trading for a new 4th gen Ram (Warlock) in September 2019. It’s my first Ram and I couldn‘t be happier as it has no vibrations. It’s only been back to the dealer for its regular maintenance.

I sympathize with anyone dealing with these annoying vibrations.

Brain h

Reaction score

Did you have any issues with the daystar kit ?
Thinking of doing this myself.
Also if its not too much trouble can I ask for the specific part numbers you utilized?
Thanks in advance.

Cesar Frias

Reaction score
Ho
did it point you to the tires? were you guided by just the frequency or just by the "g's" measurement??

Scram1500

Reaction score
How did it point you to the tires? were you guided by just the frequency or just by the "g's" measurement??
Frequency. I had more than one bad tire so it was a little tricky to interpret the measurement. The result was 21hz at highway speed, a little higher than one bad tire but lower than the driveshaft

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online