5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’d bet this is my problem did yours also keep throwing the balance off?
Had a balance at a chain tire place, then went to a shop that did road force balancing. Two of the tires would not road force balance, they visibly wobbled as well

Charp

Reaction score
Update: I’ve had the truck back to the dealer several times and the problem remains. They keep road force balancing the tires, but that only fixes the issue for a few weeks. I brought it back in December because the tires were wearing so badly but only on the outside. First the service guy tried to say tire wear was “normal” for 29,000 miles until he looked at the tires and said “whoa, that’s not right”. Especially since the truck had been balanced and aligned several times since I bought it. They ended up replacing the tires at their cost.
Replacing the tires does not fix the issue! It will mask it for a few weeks until the tire wears in and then the problem returns. It’s not the tires!
At this point I’m just done with a Dodge. I’ve convinced several friends and family not to buy Dodge because of my problems so I figure we are even. good luck.
I hear ya! I've had 6 tires replaced and road force balancing a few times. That finally "seemed" to fix it, but no, it's back again. I'm going to take it to a different dealer this time and if they can't solve it then I'm done with FCA products. So will everyone else I talk to; NO family and no friends will buy a FCA product again.

metsfan1968

Reaction score
Test drove a 2019 1500 Limited yesterday morning. Had never seen this thread or anything similar. Noticed a vibration once the truck hit about 55-60mph. Felt it primarily through the seat, not so much in the steering wheel. Took my 2017 Ram 1500 Express on the same stretch of road at same speed ... nothing. Seeing this thread, clearly this is an issue with this newer generation or with this model, not that specific truck. Has there been an actual resolution to this?

BTW, not only did this truck have the vibration issue, but the check engine light was on and the 12" screen was black and unusable. Was told that was because the battery had gone dead and they just jumped it and a software update was needed due to recall. Saw other threads that these two things also seem to be common problems. Too bad because I had high hopes for this truck, and my fiance and I love the look, feel, and features. I'm definitely not buying this specific truck with all 3 things on the TEST DRIVE. Starting to think not worth purchasing this gen/model at all.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear ya! I've had 6 tires replaced and road force balancing a few times. That finally "seemed" to fix it, but no, it's back again. I'm going to take it to a different dealer this time and if they can't solve it then I'm done with FCA products. So will everyone else I talk to; NO family and no friends will buy a FCA product again.
I’m taking mine back in again very soon, mine only has 3400 miles and I noticed the tires are wearing on the outsides already. Already opened a case with FCA but they talk to you like your stupid. Guess we will see. But yes I’ll soon be to that point of telling everyone I know not to buy there products!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Test drove a 2019 1500 Limited yesterday morning. Had never seen this thread or anything similar. Noticed a vibration once the truck hit about 55-60mph. Felt it primarily through the seat, not so much in the steering wheel. Took my 2017 Ram 1500 Express on the same stretch of road at same speed ... nothing. Seeing this thread, clearly this is an issue with this newer generation or with this model, not that specific truck. Has there been an actual resolution to this?

BTW, not only did this truck have the vibration issue, but the check engine light was on and the 12" screen was black and unusable. Was told that was because the battery had gone dead and they just jumped it and a software update was needed due to recall. Saw other threads that these two things also seem to be common problems. Too bad because I had high hopes for this truck, and my fiance and I love the look, feel, and features. I'm definitely not buying this specific truck with all 3 things on the TEST DRIVE. Starting to think not worth purchasing this gen/model at all.
Smooth road my 19 is full of vibrations. Going on third tire balance with only 3400 miles. That’s unexceptable!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lemon law?????

Icecoldak

Reaction score
These vibration issues are NOT TIRE related, no matter what everyone says----it is something else, who has ever heard of 6 tire balances or 6 replacement tires on ANY vehicle, pure BS!!! people have replaced tires with doff brands and rims and still have the same issue--its NOT tires!

I was going to get a 2020 Limited but Im not touching these trucks until this if fixed!

Scram1500

Reaction score
These vibration issues are NOT TIRE related, no matter what everyone says----it is something else, who has ever heard of 6 tire balances or 6 replacement tires on ANY vehicle, pure BS!!! people have replaced tires with doff brands and rims and still have the same issue--its NOT tires!

I was going to get a 2020 Limited but Im not touching these trucks until this if fixed!
For those of us that had defective tires, it was the tires that caused vibration. After 6 replacement tires one could probably conclude on that particular vehicle it wasn't the tires, or the tire installer has no idea what they're doing

Brain h

Reaction score
For those of us that had defective tires, it was the tires that caused vibration. After 6 replacement tires one could probably conclude on that particular vehicle it wasn't the tires, or the tire installer has no idea what they're doing
For those of us that have had multiple tires and wheels replaced without a fix...it has to be drivetrain related...my opinion is its either a torque converter issue or pinion angle issue.

Scram1500

Reaction score
For those of us that have had multiple tires and wheels replaced without a fix...it has to be drivetrain related...my opinion is its either a torque converter issue or pinion angle issue.
Definitely agree, there's more than solution to a vibration issue. I consider myself lucky with the tires being bad

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I know, but you know that’s where they will start!

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score

The balance fluctuation readings can be from mounting wheel to balancer incorrectly (worn cones, front coned wheel vs back coned wheel, tire slipped on wheel caused by wrong tire lube, balancer calibration, etc). Also techs doing all of this wrong don’t magically start doing it right. So the same shop doing 6 sets of tires can all be done like ****. I love how everyone moves on to the next possible problem. Keep at it boys.

I do believe there are some torque converter issues, some drive shaft issues, and some differential issues. But majority of the problems are tire related.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The balance fluctuation readings can be from mounting wheel to balancer incorrectly (worn cones, front coned wheel vs back coned wheel, tire slipped on wheel caused by wrong tire lube, balancer calibration, etc). Also techs doing all of this wrong don’t magically start doing it right. So the same shop doing 6 sets of tires can all be done like ****. I love how everyone moves on to the next possible problem. Keep at it boys.

I do believe there are some torque converter issues, some drive shaft issues, and some differential issues. But majority of the problems are tire related.

I just want it fixed, I don’t really care what’s causing it, just fix it! If you had a $60,000 + truck that has been balanced 3 times in 3400 miles with edges of tires wearing already, vibrates on the highway, you’d want answers too, just saying!

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
I just want it fixed, I don’t really care what’s causing it, just fix it! If you had a $60,000 + truck that has been balanced 3 times in 3400 miles with edges of tires wearing already, vibrates on the highway, you’d want answers too, just saying!

Then take it to a shop that specializes in tires and alignment. Bring your bill back to Mopar to pay for it since you have had no success with the idiots at your Dealership.

lragland

Reaction score
I've experienced many intermittent vibration issues that tend to come and go in my 2020 Laramie 4x4 3.92 rear axle (1500 miles). Without going into all the details and several trips to the dealership, I would like to know if anyone has checked their Harmonic Balancer (crankshaft pulley) to see if if wobbles. I noticed mine wobbled and the Dealer replaced, but it still wobbles exactly the same as before. The Loaner truck they gave me did not appear to wobble at all. I'm now wondering if I happened to get two bad parts or if the crankshaft is bent.

RamCares

Reaction score
I've experienced many intermittent vibration issues that tend to come and go in my 2020 Laramie 4x4 3.92 rear axle (1500 miles). Without going into all the details and several trips to the dealership, I would like to know if anyone has checked their Harmonic Balancer (crankshaft pulley) to see if if wobbles. I noticed mine wobbled and the Dealer replaced, but it still wobbles exactly the same as before. The Loaner truck they gave me did not appear to wobble at all. I'm now wondering if I happened to get two bad parts or if the crankshaft is bent.

Hi @lragland - I just had a chance to respond to your private message on this. Please follow up with me there when you can!

Mark
RamCares

flynfish

Reaction score

How do you check that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lragland

Reaction score
How do you check that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pop the hood, start your engine, look down to pulley at the bottom far left. All my belt pulleys are very true with no wobble except the Harmonic Balancer (Crankshaft Damper). Here is link to part https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-damper-crankshaft~53022083aa.html . Here is a link to video I took, not the greatest but maybe will help. https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/zcBt_ivMS5i8ie55S6s7fA.OH4fDzUXnOoXMPPRllDcY8 .

Users who are viewing this thread