5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Charp

Reaction score
I've driven 5k miles now and still feel it. I felt it during the test drive and said I wanted it fixed or no deal. So they brought it in the shop and said it was flat spots in the tires and said they were 100% sure they would smooth out. So like a dumb *** I signed the papers anyway. I picked it up and as soon as I drove home the shake was intense. Drove for a month and still shaking, so dealer replaced the tires. Drove another 4k miles and it doesn't shake as much, but is extremely annoying. It seems to vary more that it did before; still noticeable at 60 mph but seems to wobble at different speeds too.
I really think it's because of those ATMMs/vibration dampers. It does seem as though they function when they shouldn't and don't function when they should. The ATMMs have solenoid activated weights in them, so what if the weights rotate differently from each another? I would think this would make it wobble. Especially with regards to their location. The shake is felt primarily in the driver seat, floor/pedal and center console. There is also a sensor under the hood that picks up vibrations and triggers the ATMMs to activate. See the statement below:

"As the HEMI engine’s Multi-Displacement System kicks in, and sends the truck into four-cylinder mode, an under-hood sensor picks up unwanted vibrations, and triggers these ATMMs to shake their internal weights in a way that’s 180 degrees out of phase with the engine’s unwanted vibration, thus canceling it out and yielding a smooth experience for occupants. This concept is called destructive interference, and it requires tweaking to the ATMMs depending upon the frame length."
https://jalopnik.com/a-close-look-at-the-2019-ram-1500s-coolest-tech-1822465887

There seems to be a lot of unneeded tech in this truck and I feel it's not working as designed. Maybe the under-hood sensor is too sensitive or not sensitive enough? I could swear that my truck rides smoother on ruff roads than it does on smooth.

I need to bring my truck back in, but I already know the dealers response, "this is normal".

Last edited:

Brain h

Reaction score
I've driven 5k miles now and still feel it. I felt it during the test drive and said I wanted it fixed or no deal. So they brought it in the shop and said it was flat spots in the tires and said they were 100% sure they would smooth out. So like a dumb *** I signed the papers anyway. I picked it up and as soon as I drove home the shake was intense. Drove for a month and still shaking, so dealer replaced the tires. Drove another 4k miles and it doesn't shake as much, but is extremely annoying. It seems to vary more that it did before; still noticeable at 60 mph but seems to wobble at different speeds too.
I really think it's because of those ATMMs/vibration dampers. It does seem as though they function when they shouldn't and don't function when they should. The ATMMs have solenoid activated weights in them, so what if the weights rotate differently from each another? I would think this would make it wobble. Especially with regards to their location. The shake is felt primarily in the driver seat, floor/pedal and center console. There is also a sensor under the hood that picks up vibrations and triggers the ATMMs to activate. See the statement below:

"As the HEMI engine’s Multi-Displacement System kicks in, and sends the truck into four-cylinder mode, an under-hood sensor picks up unwanted vibrations, and triggers these ATMMs to shake their internal weights in a way that’s 180 degrees out of phase with the engine’s unwanted vibration, thus canceling it out and yielding a smooth experience for occupants. This concept is called destructive interference, and it requires tweaking to the ATMMs depending upon the frame length."

There seems to be a lot of unneeded tech in this truck and I feel it's not working as designed. Maybe the under-hood sensor is too sensitive or not sensitive enough? I could swear that my truck rides smoother on ruff roads than it does on smooth.

I need to bring my truck back in, but I already know the dealers response, "this is normal".
What do you guys think of this ??

Trouble1233

Reaction score
Ok guys..mine is out the shop road force balanced..truck still shakes..got in it this morning got up to 55-60 and starts vibrating..I’m willing to bet money now it’s the boxes..like I posted before..I think it starts to shut down the cylinders and they turn on..I’m going to try something today and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charp

Reaction score
Holy cow. Want to make your truck feel like it's entering the Earth's atmosphere? Go down the interstate like normal and simply roll down the left or right rear window half way. Insane shaking...

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Holy cow. Want to make your truck feel like it's entering the Earth's atmosphere? Go down the interstate like normal and simply roll down the left or right rear window half way. Insane shaking...
You know, I wondered about that as well. If it's the anti-vibration dampeners or the noise cancellation, wouldn't opening the windows have a cause/effect. You're saying it made it worse? Interesting. I'll have to play around with it this weekend myself and test it myself.

Yelzelity

Reaction score
I started having the vibration issue also at 14k miles, OEM tire became out of round. Bought new ones and problem got worse, decided on road force balancing and went through 8 tires to get 4 good ones. Luckily the dealer is covering all the swaps. Be sure to get the before and after print outs.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi Charp,
Keep us updated on your dealer visit. If assistance is needed please reach out to us privately.
Laura
Ram Cares

FastBlackRam

Reaction score

Trouble1233

Reaction score
I got a question..do any of you guys have a 2020 vibrating??

Charp

Reaction score
I can also duplicate the shake by putting truck in reverse and letting off the brake ever so slightly while backing up. It feels like the shake I experience around 60 mph, without the road mix with it.

Trouble1233

Reaction score
I can also duplicate the shake by putting truck in reverse and letting off the brake ever so slightly while backing up. It feels like the shake I experience around 60 mph, without the road mix with it.

I’m going to check mine thanks for the info

Charp

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed damage to your shirts? No kidding. All of my shirts and jackets have been getting a strange rounded pilling streak, like something is cutting into them. Well, I finally found out the cause! The damn truck seat belt! I thought it was my desk at work, I thought it was our washer or dryer, but no, its the trucks seat belt! Crazy, yet another abnormality with this truck. The seat belt edges are sharp and the seat belt buckle fold that hold it in a reachable position has sharp threaded corners.
Just thought I'd throw this out there in case others have been experiencing damage to clothing. I've never, ever had that happen before.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
This is going to seem old and "no kidding" and "we already know that" BUT the other day I used the manual gear shift button and was able to toggle back and forth at speed between mds engaged and disengaged. I could feel it happening. Here's the kicker:. The vehicle near instantly adjusted and I felt no added vibration because of it. Don't flame me for stating the obvious, but just saying that if you do this and feel a sustained vibration one way or the other, this does not happen in my truck and those anti vibration dampeners are working in my case.

Trouble1233

Reaction score
Well I picked my truck up only to bring it back the next day..mine started shaking again it’s crazy how it goes from a smooth ride to feeling like the drive shaft is coming out..Im fed up with the truck...I’m tired of paying truck payments while it sets up at the dealer..The dealership is trying but I feel and they feel the best option is going to be another truck but I told them to see what they can find out this week..so will see

wep1981

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just got myself an 2019 and also feel the vibration. It starts happening around 61 mph. It feels like unbalanced tires. Took the truck to the dealership at around 500 miles and they said they balanced the tires. Got the truck back and took it back to dealer again with about 800 miles on it now. Was waiting for 3 hours to just the tech tell me that’s the way the truck drives. We went for a drive with the tech and he didn’t want to drive the truck over 55. He said they weren’t allowed. So we decided that I’m going to take the ram in again so they can keep it for the day so the tech can really spend some time on it. I love the truck but come on.. FCA must know about this.

Did anyone file a complaint?

Trouble1233

Reaction score
Mines been at the dealership 7+weeks now and the fact is Chrysler don’t know what to do..I talk to a lawyer yesterday I’ve had enough..goodluck it’s a factory defect that they can’t fix..love the truck but first and last buy for me

wep1981

Reaction score
Wow 7+. That’s crazy...I’m going to mention the vibration dampers to them and see what they have to say about that.

Trouble1233

Reaction score
Wow 7+. That’s crazy...I’m going to mention the vibration dampers to them and see what they have to say about that.

Well I can tell you this..they are causing the vibration but what vibration are they seeing to cause them to turn on is beyond me..the lead tech guy working on mine said the problem is they don’t have no way to communicate with them..the cpu just turns them on when it sees vibration..we unhooked them and it stopped but the truck sees something causing the vibration or it wouldn’t turn them on..it’s starting to be a huge deal too..videos on YouTube popping up ..they going to have a mess on there hands..

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Good luck. Try a different dealer too. See if a dealer will "Road Force" balance the tires. It helps, but still doesn't eliminate.

Users who are viewing this thread