5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Filet

Reaction score
I seem to be having a different vibration problem than everyone on this thread. At around 11K miles I started getting a high frequency vibration at lower speeds when accelerating (25 - 40 MPH). The vibration is unmistakably coming though the gas pedal / floor area - I can feel it in my right foot. After reading this thread I'm going to pay attention to what RPM it's happening at and also try it in Tow/Haul Mode to deactivate the MDS as a test. I will report back...

Filet

Reaction score
I don't see a TSB for this - unless it's related to the brake pedal safety recall (I have an appt to get that fixed 3/15). So the update on my vibration is turning on Tow/Haul mode had zero effect. I put it in gear lock at 8 and watched to see if it was gear-related, it was not. The vibration seems to be more of an acceleration issue than related to a particular RPM, speed or gear. It seems whenever I accelerate at a medium rate (not slow or pedal down fast) it vibrates. It's a high frequency vibration that I feel in the gas pedal. It happens at a wide range of speeds, but seems to be most noticeable at 25 - 60 MPH and at 1500 - 2000 RPM. High RPM's I don't feel it. It's really degrading my once-great driving experience.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I have previous posts on this thread about changing the Nexen tires with Michelin Defenders LTX MS tires. I had my dealer do another balance job on all 4 tires yesterday and I only drove it home which is about 23 miles, but it seemed to just about eliminate the slight vibration. Time will tell but it is very very slight at this point and many times better than with the Nexen tires. Oh, my dealer is a good dealer as it was no problem having them do the tire balance again and of course no charge and I had no appointment.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't see a TSB for this - unless it's related to the brake pedal safety recall (I have an appt to get that fixed 3/15). So the update on my vibration is turning on Tow/Haul mode had zero effect. I put it in gear lock at 8 and watched to see if it was gear-related, it was not. The vibration seems to be more of an acceleration issue than related to a particular RPM, speed or gear. It seems whenever I accelerate at a medium rate (not slow or pedal down fast) it vibrates. It's a high frequency vibration that I feel in the gas pedal. It happens at a wide range of speeds, but seems to be most noticeable at 25 - 60 MPH and at 1500 - 2000 RPM. High RPM's I don't feel it. It's really degrading my once-great driving experience.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/feeling-the-road-through-the-gas-pedal.2993/

Specifically: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/feeling-the-road-through-the-gas-pedal.2993/#post-59312

Bulletin ID 08-140-18

Filet

Reaction score
Thank you. However, on a TSB search I don't see that one. I'm going into the dealer for the ground cable and brake pedal recalls in a few weeks. I will see if they can fix this. If not I might sell this 1500 and buy the new 2500.

zman9119

Reaction score

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
I seem to be having a different vibration problem than everyone on this thread. At around 11K miles I started getting a high frequency vibration at lower speeds when accelerating (25 - 40 MPH). The vibration is unmistakably coming though the gas pedal / floor area - I can feel it in my right foot. After reading this thread I'm going to pay attention to what RPM it's happening at and also try it in Tow/Haul Mode to deactivate the MDS as a test. I will report back...

I have the exact same vibration. Just started recently. I think the service bulletin that others listed says its for

I have this exact same vibration just recently develop. Is there a bulletin that applies to vehicles with 9 speakers? I think this bulletin listed just applies to a 6 speaker system and noise canceling.

Filet

Reaction score

Thank you. My only skepticism is that this vibration feels like a real physical vibration coming through the gas pedal / floor - not just noise. But I will show this Bulletin to the dealer and go over the issue with them. Thanks again.

AnthroMoto

Reaction score
For those who have the vibration, which tires were on your truck? I am wondering if it is a case of a bad manufacture run. My tires were the Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT's.

Searay220

Reaction score
After purchasing my truck I noticed a vibration between 57 and 62 and again around 72 and 82. After two weeks at the dealership they decided the tires were flat spotted and replaced them. The original tires were Goodyear Eagle touring 285 45/22 replaced with the same. The vibration was still there but not as bad. Went to my local tire store and had them road force balance there. To no improvement. I finally decided to buy four new tires. I purchased Cooper SRX tires and they have improved the ride 100%. I actually enjoying driving the truck now. In my case it was definitely a problem with the tires.

Slashhero

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had the same shaking issue described here and it's now fixed. To recap the issue, at about 60mph, the pedels, steering wheel, seats - the entire body would start to shake. Speed up and it goes away, slow down and it goes away.

Mine was caused by either under inflated tires (mine were at 30, 31 psi) or out of balance tires. I pumped the tires up to 36 and had the dealer load balance my tires, one of them recieved a stupid amount of weight, 11 little bricks marked .25 (ounces?). Anywho, my truck doesn't shake anymore at any speed.

I hope this helps someone.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had the same shaking issue described here and it's now fixed. To recap the issue, at about 60mph, the pedels, steering wheel, seats - the entire body would start to shake. Speed up and it goes away, slow down and it goes away.

Mine was caused by either under inflated tires (mine were at 30, 31 psi) or out of balance tires. I pumped the tires up to 36 and had the dealer load balance my tires, one of them recieved a stupid amount of weight, 11 little bricks marked .25 (ounces?). Anywho, my truck doesn't shake anymore at any speed.

I hope this helps someone.

What rims and tires do you have?

jniemuth

Reaction score
My vibration is directly related to the cylinder deactivation. As soon as my truck goes into 4 cylinder mode, I get a vibration at low rpm's while accelerating slightly. I can make it go away by using the gear limiter on the steering wheel to force the truck to stay in 8 cylinder mode. My dealer says this is normal!

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My vibration is directly related to the cylinder deactivation. As soon as my truck goes into 4 cylinder mode, I get a vibration at low rpm's while accelerating slightly. I can make it go away by using the gear limiter on the steering wheel to force the truck to stay in 8 cylinder mode. My dealer says this is normal!
Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like at @Gman said this is not normal. The dealer should be checking the ATTM system and make sure its working correctly. The "Actively Tuned Mass Modules" are supposed to counter act the vibrations created by the MDS.

Jb2x

Reaction score
My dealer is saying this is normal too. They are also saying that the shake on cold starts is normal because the profile of the tire is so low and it is stiff until it warms up. *Facepalm* Growing very tired of this.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Brought my truck in again today. The last few weeks the vibration returned. During a hot day (like yesterday) the vibration gets worse and worse over 70. Once I get off the highway the steering wheel wobbles back and forth down to about 40 mph (without brake application).

Users who are viewing this thread