5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I know its not apples to apples but i know there was a big vibration issue with hd trucks. I have not read any hd forums in quite a while but last i did the consensus was that if it vinrates do not buy it. Dealers would just make half assed efforts to fix it (finger pointing at tire manufacturers etc). The feeling i get is that first things first is the tires that come on the trucks are of poor quality.
I had my tires road forced balanced as have others and the issue is still there. Plus guys have went to different brands of tires and are still having the issue. Now that it goes below freezing here in Ohio, I have noticed it isn’t as noticeable. That kinda makes sense considering my service dept has been instructed to look at the cab mounting bushings. My guess is they stiffen up enough in the cold so therefore you can’t feel it. Mine didn’t start till I had over 2,000 miles on it.

Mike133

Reaction score
I have a Bighorn crew cab with the 275/65/18 good years and also have the vibration. Was so bad that it was felt in seats and steering wheel from 55-70 mph. My dealer replaced 2 back tires because they wouldn't balance and say they did alignment and new balance on front tires. Vibration got better but is still there starts about 60 now and goes through 69 mph. Have a question about it now though after doing some online research. Do all of you that have the vibration know if the red dots on your tires line up with your valve stems? Mine do not and was going to call the local tire shop tomorrow and ask them if remounting and balanceing would help.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too had vibration just slightly at 59 to 65 Mph. I noticed it about 2000 miles or so. Since its got colder here in S Ohio its not near as bad but still there. All four tires has red dot lined up with valve stems.Dealer tells me the tires need forced balanced. I had the problem with a new 2011 Ram and changed the Goodyear tires to Michelin and problem went away for ever. Had the same issue with a new 2014 Ram and changed over to Michelin problem went away.

IMO if cab mounts are the culprit it would not take 2000 miles to notice it and it would be at any speeds over 50 MPH. Instinct and past experience with new Ram tires indicates IMO tires are junk! Waiting on a suspension module to come in and will let dealer force balance when it goes back in. Will update what happens here afterwards. In the mean time I will price 4 new real tires for it.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I too had vibration just slightly at 59 to 65 Mph. I noticed it about 2000 miles or so. Since its got colder here in S Ohio its not near as bad but still there. All four tires has red dot lined up with valve stems.Dealer tells me the tires need forced balanced. I had the problem with a new 2011 Ram and changed the Goodyear tires to Michelin and problem went away for ever. Had the same issue with a new 2014 Ram and changed over to Michelin problem went away.

IMO if cab mounts are the culprit it would not take 2000 miles to notice it and it would be at any speeds over 50 MPH. Instinct and past experience with new Ram tires indicates IMO tires are junk! Waiting on a suspension module to come in and will let dealer force balance when it goes back in. Will update what happens here afterwards. In the mean time I will price 4 new real tires for it.
My only issue with the tire theory is it’s happening to others trucks that have different brands of tires on them. I thought tires at first myself till I started seeing that guys were experiencing this with 18 inch wheels, 20 inch wheels and 22’s. Some with Bridgestones and some with whatever else Ram uses. Hopefully someone finds the fix soon.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The cab mounts are not the culprit, they can't possibly be the culprit. NVH issues require 3 things in order to be an issue.

1. A source, This has to be something that is moving or rotating in a cycle. Like a tire, rotor, drive shaft etc.
2. A transmitter, this is the path the vibration follows, control arms, frames, bushings mounts etc.
3. A receiver, This would be you in the drivers seat holding the steering wheel.

Remove any one of these 3 things and the issue goes away. The easiest fix is #3. If no one is in the truck to feel it then there is no one to complain about it, this is not an option though. The cab mount will fall under #2. If indeed they can eliminate the transmission path by changing the cab mounts, you will no longer feel the vibration but the culprit ie the source will still be there. It's also not engine or exhaust related. Through my testing the vibration frequency stays them same at constant speed regardless off what gear the transmission is in. A detected vibration frequency has to match the frequency of the source a change in engine RPM would result in a change in the detected vibration if it was indeed the source, which it doesn't do.

The 2014+ GM half ton trucks had the same issue and GM never admitted to a problem and to this day the source is still unknown and there is no fix. I had the vibration issue in my 2015 Sierra and spent 1000s of dollars and numerous hours trying to fix it to no avail. I will never buy another GM product because of the way they handled it. I'm hoping RAM doesn't handle this issue in the same manner.

Phoon

Reaction score
I notice a vibration at around 60MPH with my 3;92 gears and 22" wheels, it is very minor but more noticeable in 4x4 auto.

In my mind it is a very minimal annoyance in the smoothest and quietest truck I have ever had.

Its one of those things that if you know its supposed to be an issue, you will concentrate on it and likely find something. If someone mentioned a vibration at 80 MPH im sure half of the members would drive around at 80 MPH concentrating carefully until they felt something! I would rather just drive the thing and enjoy it and not get caught in a witch hunt :)

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't have to hunt for the vibration at 58-63 MPH on mine. it's pretty noticeable most of the time, especially and freshly paved asphalt, it disappears on rougher roads. Fortunately I'm never cruising at those speeds, most everything is 70 MPH that I drive so it's a slight annoyance when getting up to speed. My GMC vibrated like an SOB at 68+ mph, I hated driving that truck.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I notice a vibration at around 60MPH with my 3;92 gears and 22" wheels, it is very minor but more noticeable in 4x4 auto.

In my mind it is a very minimal annoyance in the smoothest and quietest truck I have ever had.

Its one of those things that if you know its supposed to be an issue, you will concentrate on it and likely find something. If someone mentioned a vibration at 80 MPH im sure half of the members would drive around at 80 MPH concentrating carefully until they felt something! I would rather just drive the thing and enjoy it and not get caught in a witch hunt :)
Yours must not be that bad honestly.

Honestly I wouldn’t mind a minor vibration but when I can feel it in the floorboards and the seat that kinda concerns me. Add in that it’s magnified more when I pull my trailer that’s an annoyance to me.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If they do perform a road force test on your tires ask them what they use for an allowable limit of force variance. Typically for truck tires they use 25 lbs but that may be too high to fix any issues. I'd push to get them below 10 to see if that remedies your issue.

ddonia

Reaction score
According to my dealership both front tires need to be replaced. I have less than 3k miles on it. They were unable to road force balance them to within specs so replacement was/is needed. We will see if that solves the vibration issue. I should have it back tomorrow.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
According to my dealership both front tires need to be replaced. I have less than 3k miles on it. They were unable to road force balance them to within specs so replacement was/is needed. We will see if that solves the vibration issue. I should have it back tomorrow.
Were they able to feel the vibration? My service writer felt it but the tech didn’t. I guess my concern is guys are replacing tires and still feeling it. I hope this fixes it for you and gives others something to bring to the dealerships attention.

zman9119

Reaction score
Feel it very slightly at 63mph, but I've only had the truck for 49 hours.

Anytime I feel any vibration at speed my PTSD fires up from my issues with the DW on my '03 at 70+mph on the expressway (and complete refusal of FCA admitting or doing anything about it; or any service techs until they got to experience it first hand).

ddonia

Reaction score
Were they able to feel the vibration? My service writer felt it but the tech didn’t. I guess my concern is guys are replacing tires and still feeling it. I hope this fixes it for you and gives others something to bring to the dealerships attention.

They claim that they did. The tech said that he tested my truck and then drove another truck they had on the lot so he could feel the difference. We’ll see today when I get it back.

FYI to others, they have had my truck for two days....and probably would have had it longer if I was not calling to get updates, so be prepared if you decide to bring it in.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they do perform a road force test on your tires ask them what they use for an allowable limit of force variance. Typically for truck tires they use 25 lbs but that may be too high to fix any issues. I'd push to get them below 10 to see if that remedies your issue.
Going by there today to have it the force balance done...will let all know,but I still feel its the tires! Will let you know but junk tires will not balance well no matter what one does to correct it is my past experience.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cab mounts are not the culprit, they can't possibly be the culprit. NVH issues require 3 things in order to be an issue.

1. A source, This has to be something that is moving or rotating in a cycle. Like a tire, rotor, drive shaft etc.
2. A transmitter, this is the path the vibration follows, control arms, frames, bushings mounts etc.
3. A receiver, This would be you in the drivers seat holding the steering wheel.

Remove any one of these 3 things and the issue goes away. The easiest fix is #3. If no one is in the truck to feel it then there is no one to complain about it, this is not an option though. The cab mount will fall under #2. If indeed they can eliminate the transmission path by changing the cab mounts, you will no longer feel the vibration but the culprit ie the source will still be there. It's also not engine or exhaust related. Through my testing the vibration frequency stays them same at constant speed regardless off what gear the transmission is in. A detected vibration frequency has to match the frequency of the source a change in engine RPM would result in a change in the detected vibration if it was indeed the source, which it doesn't do.

The 2014+ GM half ton trucks had the same issue and GM never admitted to a problem and to this day the source is still unknown and there is no fix. I had the vibration issue in my 2015 Sierra and spent 1000s of dollars and numerous hours trying to fix it to no avail. I will never buy another GM product because of the way they handled it. I'm hoping RAM doesn't handle this issue in the same manner.

I like your logic and post and to back up what you say all 19 1500 series trucks would have the slight vibration if it were cab mounts or something permanent on each truck and its very clear most all do not have the issue. It could be a stabilizer bar loose or control arm loose perhaps with rotation like you say would effect it, but tires on all new vehicles are junk from my past experience most certainly factory Goodyear tires. My particular truck is very slight I could live with it okay,but if the force balance does not work I will ask dealer to check control arms,stabilizer etc. Some of the 19 owners have reported loose stabilizer bars that was tightened. The Bridgestone tires on the truck are very slick on wet pavement as well which has a lot to be desired. I think with cost at this point of a new truck good tires on it is a must even if FCA thinks its not! :)

Last edited:

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my tires road forced balanced as have others and the issue is still there. Plus guys have went to different brands of tires and are still having the issue. Now that it goes below freezing here in Ohio, I have noticed it isn’t as noticeable. That kinda makes sense considering my service dept has been instructed to look at the cab mounting bushings. My guess is they stiffen up enough in the cold so therefore you can’t feel it. Mine didn’t start till I had over 2,000 miles on it.

Not to be obstinate but forced balancing bad tires is like making a bad paint job look good with polish...The other tires reported are factory tires as well which has been been bought in bulk by FCA and most likely cheap made tires. Goodyear tires FCA used some years back were not very good either. But it could be other issues but it most likely something loose if it is and not owners are reporting the issue or it would be a recall.

Phoon

Reaction score
Not to be obstinate but forced balancing bad tires is like making a bad paint job look good with polish...The other tires reported are factory tires as well which has been been bought in bulk by FCA and most likely cheap made tires. Goodyear tires FCA used some years back were not very good either. But it could be other issues but it most likely something loose if it is and not owners are reporting the issue or it would be a recall.
To back up the tire idea, the previous gen GM trucks and SUV use the same tires i believe.... both in 22" and the 20".

Rcutler8

Reaction score
That would point directly at tires!
I just don’t think it’s completely tire related. I put nice $1300 all terrain tires on my Laramie and it still vibrates. Less than before but it’s still there. I was driving on the freeway last night and it barely vibrated at all. Hopped on again later that night and the vibrations were very noticeable. They come and go, which is really weird and frustrating. Really bad vibrations around 77-80 mph

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just don’t think it’s completely tire related. I put nice $1300 all terrain tires on my Laramie and it still vibrates. Less than before but it’s still there. I was driving on the freeway last night and it barely vibrated at all. Hopped on again later that night and the vibrations were very noticeable. They come and go, which is really weird and frustrating. Really bad vibrations around 77-80 mph
This is the result of phasing. which means at least 2 different rotating assemblies are out of balance or out of true. An example, Say you have an issue with both front tires with a high spot causing vibrations. You're going down the road and at instance in time the high spot on one tire is at 12 o' clock and the other is at 6 o,clock, They cancel one another out for the most part and you feel very little. You drive around all day or make quite a few turns and now you're back on the freeway and the high spots on both sides are now at 12 o'clock at the exact same time they combine together and give you much more noticeable vibration. Things to try that cost only time. Move tires to different locations basically musical tires. Rotate the wheel location on the actual hub. Inevitably tires wheels and hubs have radial run out. Rotate the wheels 180 degrees on their studs and torque them down while they are off the ground this can be down more accurately if you have a feel gauge to measure run out, your basically trying to put the highest spot of the tires on the lowest spot of the hub. Because you have replaced the factory tires I'm not sure how helpful your dealer is going to be. It looks like you got some Mazamas from Les Schwab. If that's the case they should have a hunter road force machine, have them force match your tires, Scwab is all about customer service and happy customers, They went through 7 toyo open country AT's for me to get them all below 10 lbs of force variance trying to fix my chevy shake issues. Sadly it was better but never fixed completely.

Users who are viewing this thread