5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

SNBI07

Reaction score
I’m having a similar issue with my new rebel. Seems to be between 1600-1700 rpms causing a slight resonance in the cabin.

Bam2880

Reaction score
Has anyone taken there truck anywhere to get looked at?

Rcutler8

Reaction score
I’ve had this same problem on my Laramie with 20 inch bridgestones. Around 60 mph as well. Took it to the dealer to balance again, which they did and said they drove it and couldn’t feel it any longer. BS! Still vibrates. I ended up just getting some new tires from Les Schwab here in Oregon to see if that’d help. It did help a bit but it still vibrates around 60mph and again around 75-80mph. Thinking of taking it back to the dealer for an alignment. Let me know if any of you guys figure out what this is! Thx

SG3

Reaction score
Just test drove a 2019 Longhorn - it was vibrating.... Was wondering how widespread this issue is? It had the 22" wheels.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just noticed the same issue , on smooth roads only because its slight , it's a high frequency, low amplitude vibration between 55-60, will be interested in seeing what you find out

I have the same issue, and I thought it was the tires I installed. I didn't have the factory tires on long enough to notice, and I sold the factory tires. I have had them road force balanced 4 times and it seems to get better but doesn't go away. It's only between 57-60 MPH. I didn't take it in because they will blame me for replacing the tires. I am staying tuned to hear what ends up happening.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel like I may be getting a slight vibration between the speeds of 57-63 mph. It’s not mds related because I have used the gear selector to turn it off. Anyone else experiencing this? I can mainly feel it in the floor.
I have the same vibration worse in the morning when it's cold, going to put an accelerometer on the truck tomorrow to determine frequency then figure out what's causing the issue so I can direct the service dept. I don't need them looking at tires if they're not the issue.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let us know what you find out
Not sure if any of you guys are familiar with the Chevy shake, I lived it on my last truck, never again, FCA will be being this thing back if they can't fix it. Look at the gm-trucks forum just search vibration, over 800 pages from 2013 to now for the k2xx platform with unfixable vibration issues hopefully ram doesn't have an issue on this new platform.

Bam2880

Reaction score
If I remember right I put my truck into neutral while it was doing it and it still seemed to do it. If you have time put your truck into neutral and see if it still does it

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Yup 22” limited wheels 3.92 rear end. Someone commented it seemed to be worse when it’s cold or you first start driving. I have definitely noticed this to be the case as well

U

User_3336

I dont think its the tires!!! Several of us have different tires. Some have Bridgestone, some have Goodyears, and some have the cheaper Nexen (I have Nexen). Every different kind of tire could not exhibit the same vibration, and even so at the specific speed stated to reproduce it.

I think we're dealing with something far more puzzling than tires!

Yeah, know all about the Chevy shake, and Ford has the shake too.

Could it be that the 19's have some kind of drive-line vibration?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
275-55-20 3.92
I got 3.21 with same size tires, good indicator its speed related to the tire rotational speed not drive train, eliminates engine transmission t case and drive lines. Leaves tires, break rotors and axles. If tomorrow the accelerometer shows a 10-11 hz vibration that's a good thing. 21 or 33 hz will be a bad thing.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dont think its the tires!!! Several of us have different tires. Some have Bridgestone, some have Goodyears, and some have the cheaper Nexen (I have Nexen). Every different kind of tire could not exhibit the same vibration, and even so at the specific speed stated to reproduce it.

I think we're dealing with something far more puzzling than tires!

Yeah, know all about the Chevy shake, and Ford has the shake too.

Could it be that the 19's have some kind of drive-line vibration?
A drive line vibration would be specific to a rear end ratio, or the vibrations would occur at different speeds for the 3.92 versus the 3.21 since its 57-63 regardless of axle ratio its likely not drive line related.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I put the accelerometer on it this morning. Vibration is occurring at 22 hz at 61 MPH +/-Second order tire vibration, the amplitude was relatively minor this morning 40 degrees F tires were at 34-36 PSI. Ran another test about 45 minutes ago while I was at lunch. I couldn't physically feel the vibration on the second run but it was detected at 22 Hz again 65 degrees F Tire pressure were 38 PSI across the board. Resonant magnitude for the vibration in the morning was .021 X and .01 Z I could feel it but it was less severe than I have felt before, there have been a few instances where it was shaking pretty good. On the afternoon run the resonant magnitude was .0026 X and .0031 Z so 10 times less than the morning and I couldn't feel it. Try bumping tire pressures to 38 PSI cold morning weather. I have attached a screen shot of the vibration data. A drive line vibration would have shown up at 34 Hz.

Attachments

• Vibration analysis Run 1.jpg
    Vibration analysis Run 1.jpg
    621.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Vibration analysis Run 2.jpg
    Vibration analysis Run 2.jpg
    591 KB · Views: 90

Bam2880

Reaction score
So your thinking it’s tire pressure related or tire related?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So your thinking it’s tire related and not driveline?

unlikely it's the drive line, On my truck the drive line is spinning at 34 Hz at 60 MPH, any vibration you feel has to match the source, vibrations cannot change frequency during transmission. To further reinforce this, your truck has a 3.92 rear end so at 60 MPH your drive line is spinning at 41 HZ. It's very unlikely that 2 trucks experiencing vibrations at the same speed would have different vibration frequencies. We both have 275 55 20 tires spinning at approximately 10.5 Hz at 60 MPH. Tire angular velocity is directly proportional to drive line angular velocity by the rear end ratio. Vibrations that you feel are the result of resonance that's why it starts at a certain speed then disappears at a certain speed, in this case 57-63 MPH is 22 Hz. If it was drive line related you and I would experience the same vibration at different speeds. in this case what you feel as a vibration at 32 MPH I would experience at 39 MPH because of the different rear end ratios. This doesn't mean the issue is the tires, it can be anything that rotates at the same angular velocity as the tires. Front CV shafts on a 4x4, Rear axle shafts and ring gear, brake rotors., Force variation in the tire itself, radial or lateral run out on the wheels or brake rotors, or any combination. That's why you always prefer first order vibrations, they are caused by a simple mass imbalance. one guy on this thread mentioned having his tires road force balanced which can help but only if they get below a certain number. generally 25 lbs is the number for truck tires but sometimes you have to get the number below 10 to fix vibration issues.

The first thing to do check your tire pressures with a good gauge, don't rely on the TPMS, try to set pressure with the tires cold during the coldest part of the day to account for pressure fluctuations due to temperature change if that doesnt work. Next is have the dealership balance the tires and see if it fixes the issue if it doesn't, make them do it again until they are forced to RFB and vector match the tires or replace the tires to get the force variation down far enough the vibration goes away. If super low RFB numbers and verified balance don't work you have to start looking at hub run out. It really is a giant pain, trying to chase vibrations. You could always pull the drive line and have it checked for run out and balanced to verify that's not the issue. If you don't want to pay or pull the drive line you can use the hose clamp method to check for drive line vibrations, just google it, cheap and really easy to do. You could have the dealership go through all of this but instead of investing a few hours of your time on a weekend they'll end up having your truck for days or weeks at a time to trouble shoot. I also think there are far less good techs than not so good and NVH issues are not going to get solved by an 8 and skate type tech you have to get lucky and get a true gear head working on your vehicle. Most dealerships probably do not have the tools to balance a drive line anyways and would likely have to send it out, but at least it's on their dime and not yours.

First thing I'm going to do is set my tire pressures at 40 PSI.

Users who are viewing this thread