5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skip e-torque?

jbet49

Reaction score
Hi I've settled on buying a Ram as my first truck and need some advice; hope this isn't too contentious.

In researching the regular 5.7 or 5.7+etorque, most discussion seems to focus on cost vs. value, but except for that thread on etorque problems, generally speaking, most people seem to be happy with this addition. When most of these threads were started, there was a price difference between the two - today it's a $200 difference which is basically negligible.

I do a lot of long distance driving and I would like to benefit from the extra mpg. But I found a truck that has everything I want except it's just the regular 5.7. Since cost is not a factor: is there a good reason to pass and find another truck with etorque? Conversely, other than technical issues covered in the appropriate thread, is there a good reason that I should accept the lower mpg of the non-etorque setup and buy the 5.7, again, with cost being no factor?

Thanks for your help
If I'm not mistaken E-torque would only help in stop and go traffic, not long distance.
It's design is to allow engine shut down at a traffic light and then the battery gives the truck a push as you step on the gas and the engine fires back up. The engine has a belt driven generator rather than an alternator to charge the battery run off the crank shaft.
It might be better for city driving but does not do anything on the highway. Your cylinder shutdown would be what would help MPG on the highway.....that plus your differential ratio and of course a lite foot.
I looked into both and settled on the regular 5.7. I do more long distance travel then city driving. The E-torque in my opinion has more that can go wrong and a very expensive battery.

I'm happy with my regular 5.7.

jbet49

Reaction score
I like the etorque. It's the wave of the future. All Chevy & Fords have start/stop as standard equipment. RAM only has it on the etorque models. I average 19 mpg with 5.7 etorque & 3.92 gears. I bet I'd average 21 if I had the 3.21 gears. That's excellent for a full size truck. It's hard to find a Bighorn with etorque. Only 3 on the lot. I noticed almost all the Limited trims have etorque.
I'm getting 19 without e-torque and the same gear ratio. They are pushing e-torque but when you look into it unless your doing a lot of stop and go it's not worth the added cost or the possibility of failure....more to go wrong.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting 19 without e-torque and the same gear ratio. They are pushing e-torque but when you look into it unless your doing a lot of stop and go it's not worth the added cost or the possibility of failure....more to go wrong.
100%

Bigtone

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken E-torque would only help in stop and go traffic, not long distance.
It's design is to allow engine shut down at a traffic light and then the battery gives the truck a push as you step on the gas and the engine fires back up. The engine has a belt driven generator rather than an alternator to charge the battery run off the crank shaft.
It might be better for city driving but does not do anything on the highway. Your cylinder shutdown would be what would help MPG on the highway.....that plus your differential ratio and of course a lite foot.
I looked into both and settled on the regular 5.7. I do more long distance travel then city driving. The E-torque in my opinion has more that can go wrong and a very expensive battery.

I'm happy with my regular 5.7.
Actually, according to Chrysler Engineers, E-Torque adds some benefit on the highway. It can provide slight assist for MDS to stay engaged longer. Could be my imagination, but my Eco light appears to stay on slighty longer duration and more frequent than my 2014 did.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once you read and watch videos about what eTorque does, you'll understand why 99% of people will see zero fuel mileage benefit from it. It does nothing except aid in starts from 0 to a few miles per hour and "smooth out" transmission shifts on a transmission that's already world class. So, the benefit you get from eTorque is almost non-existant. But, the drawbacks are many. It costs more to purchase, it adds weight, it adds complexity, it adds future repair costs, etc. Heck, last I checked the MGU alone was a $1,400 item. For me eTorque would be a hard pass. I'd rather use the money on something useful.

Almost a year later, I'd still look right past the eTorque option on the order sheet without blinking.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, according to Chrysler Engineers, E-Torque adds some benefit on the highway. It can provide slight assist for MDS to stay engaged longer. Could be my imagination, but my Eco light appears to stay on slighty longer duration and more frequent than my 2014 did.
This is false. There was rumours of this at the beginning but it's not true. It's glorified stop/start technology.

Drewster

Reaction score
Almost a year later, I'd still look right past the eTorque option on the order sheet without blinking.
Wow, cool. A guy who didn't want to buy eTorque - and didn't end up buying an eTorque truck - still doesn't think people should buy eTorque.

Crazy how zero first-hand experience resulted in the same opinion. 🤯

PS - I love how the guy who bought a diesel with a high pressure EGR, new low pressure EGR, particulate filter, exhaust injection system, turbocharger, and high pressure injection system, all controlled by an encrypted ECU is telling everyone that a fancy alternator and a battery should be avoided because it might break.

Last edited:

Bluesurf

Reaction score

Some interesting stuff..

RAM eTorque: 6 Things You Probably Didn't Know​

-----------------------------------------------

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow, cool. A guy who didn't want to buy eTorque - and didn't end up buying an eTorque truck - still doesn't think people should buy eTorque.

PS - I love how the guy who bought a diesel with a high pressure EGR, new low pressure EGR, particulate filter, exhaust injection system, turbocharger, and high pressure injection system, all controlled by an encrypted ECU is telling everyone that a fancy alternator and a battery should be avoided because it might break.
Spot on Drew! I had a 19 HEMI w/o eT and, when looking at 21's, all I could find was eT trucks. After reading about eT extensively, I took the plunge and bought my 21 with eT. SO HAPPY I have it. Super smooth Auto S/S and I like the feel of the eT better than my straight HEMI. If anyone has an opinion BEFORE you have owned or driven one extensively, it is based on nothing and not worthy of a post as you pointed out above.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Prove it, please. We have videos from FCA engineers stating this is how it works.

Show us those videos. I've seen a million eTorque vids and never once saw the one you're talking about.

Correct. Didn't want eTorque. Didn't buy it. Wouldn't buy it. And the point of this thread is would eTorque be worth buying or not, which is the specific topic of my post.

You know what the difference is? The difference is I got something to show for my complicated engine. 70 lb/ft more torque and 46% higher fuel economy.

What did you get with eTorque? Absolutely nothing except a lighter wallet.

So I say for the third time...I'd skip right over the eTorque option on the sheet without blinking. It's an utter and complete waste of time.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Show us those videos. I've seen a million eTorque vids and never once saw the one you're talking about.

Correct. Didn't want eTorque. Didn't buy it. Wouldn't buy it. And the point of this thread is would eTorque be worth buying or not, which is the specific topic of my post.

You know what the difference is? The difference is I got something to show for my complicated engine. 70 lb/ft more torque and 46% higher fuel economy.

So I say for the third time...I'd skip right over the eTorque option on the sheet without blinking. It's an utter and complete waste of time.
If you are a "DIESEL" guy, than just say I won't buy anything but a Diesel. But, to be so adamant against the eT for the sake of it being an eT is a poor argument at best. Maybe you should either be clearer in your love for Diesel versus Gas engines or not be so narrow minded to technologies you do not understand ;)

Drewster

Reaction score

You're a clown - you know that, right? Like a virgin having an opinion on the best sex position, and telling their experienced friends all about his inexperienced opinion. I've owned my truck for about a year, and eTorque has already paid for itself with my stop and go commute. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove a 2019 without eTorque for 20,000 miles and loved it - I recently traded it for a 2021 with ETorque and it is already better - don't have enough info on mpg yet but I can tell it is smoother and the regenerative breaking is great - I cannot tell it is auto start-stop even when I try because of how smooth it is. With the federal emissions warranty covering the system for 8 years/80,000 miles and lots of trucks out there without issues so far I am not worried about issues. In summary I think Etorque is great and looking at the RAM site today they are not even charging anything to upgrade from the standard HEMI - was $200 a few weeks ago but today they show as the same cost.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
At 60k miles and after one PPU replacement at 34k, my balls are shaking...
My truck and I have a small prayer every morning before I push the start button. It's sunny out and the skies are clear. Hopefully our prayer will be heard when the rain comes and there are some reception problems..
It gives me so much anxiety, I'm probably not going to buy another eTorque.

Users who are viewing this thread