5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skip e-torque?

WW2

Reaction score
Its nothing more than added unnecessary complexity to an already extremely complex vehicle.....no biggie while the truck is new and under warrantee....just something else to break down the road..really glad I dont have it.... One reason I bought a Ram was to avoid auto start-stop....

Kidder

Reaction score
As someone with the eTorque, I don't know if I would get it again. I live in the DFW, TX area so the start/stop is used quite often which I do like. But if you're not using start/stop, there's no MPG benefits. The only issue I've had is that with the truck still running the tach went to zero even though the oil pressure still showed normal (With start/stop, when it shuts off, the tach goes to zero and so does the oil pressure and of course the engine shuts off). It did this three times. However, after a software update during my last oil change, it hasn't done it since. As far as the extra 100 lb-ft of torque for the first half tire rotation, I did some towing a few weeks ago (~3000 pounds including trailer) and I really didn't notice it starting out any easier than my regular 2011 Hemi. But, I didn't have a non eTorque right there to compare it to.
We'll see how the eTorque is doing two years from now to see if it has become problematic. For reference, I bought mine in August of 2018 (July 2018 build date) and I have ~35300 miles on it as of today. I have the 3.21 gears, by the way.

Myke

Reaction score
I have the 6 cyl w/ et. I like it for the smoother “stop / start” operation. Our old Jeep Cherokee, and current Ford Edge have only an engine stop /start setup, and the time lag of those at stop signs drove me nuts, so I always shut them off. This truck is much more responsive off the line with the et system, so I leave it on, and thus receive a small mpg benefit. The whole engine / transmission setup is smooth than the other two SUV’s we have owned. I like it so far on the RAM truck.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 6 cyl w/ et. I like it for the smoother “stop / start” operation. Our old Jeep Cherokee, and current Ford Edge have only an engine stop /start setup, and the time lag of those at stop signs drove me nuts, so I always shut them off. This truck is much more responsive off the line with the et system, so I leave it on, and thus receive a small mpg benefit. The whole engine / transmission setup is smooth than the other two SUV’s we have owned. I like it so far on the RAM truck.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the e-torque for the 3.6 is standard right? There is no option to remove it if you wanted to I don’t think

Kidder

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the e-torque for the 3.6 is standard right? There is no option to remove it if you wanted to I don’t think
According to the ramtrucks website, you are correct.

Myke

Reaction score
Fin5033 - yes, it is standard on the 6 cyl - but many were commenting on E/T features as a technology. I have come to find the stop / start assist of E/T works for me, and took away the cuss of not having a V8 to get the truck rolling.

plus, if I did not want E/T; I could only choose an 8 cyl. If I did want E/T; my gas choices were then 6 or 8 cyl engines. My trailers are all under 3000 lbs; so the 6 cyl suits me fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fin5033 - yes, it is standard on the 6 cyl - but many were commenting on E/T features as a technology. I have come to find the stop / start assist of E/T works for me, and took away the cuss of not having a V8 to get the truck rolling.

plus, if I did not want E/T; I could only choose an 8 cyl. If I did want E/T; my gas choices were then 6 or 8 cyl engines. My trailers are all under 3000 lbs; so the 6 cyl suits me fine. Different strokes for different folks.

I was just commenting on that because the thread was started regarding whether or not it was worth it as an option with the Hemi. I have nothing against the pentastar. I ordered a brand new 2014 outdoorsman with it because I was very impressed with it. Truth is it would work fine for me as well and Strongly considered it again on my 2019.

orange01z28

Reaction score
If I would have had the choice I would have skipped it simply because of the AC

The AC does not blow as cold when the engine is off at a stop

Tyler5370

Reaction score

I agree! On the hot days it really is inconvenient. I've noticed it isn't as smooth on mine when it's in the 90°s either (which I don't understand), it's kinda jerky in my experience.. minor issues.. Otherwise I love the system so far and glad I have it, makes things so smooth

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

orange01z28

Reaction score
I agree! On the hot days it really is inconvenient. I've noticed it isn't as smooth on mine when it's in the 90°s either (which I don't understand), it's kinda jerky in my experience.. minor issues.. Otherwise I love the system so far and glad I have it, makes things so smooth

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I don’t know if it’s placebo but I started putting in 89 when it’s this hot and it does a little less herky jerky

Kidder

Reaction score

Wow, nitpicking aren't we? Just slightly release the brake pedal (without moving) and the engine will start running. Or, turn start/stop off.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like it and I had to pay more than $200 for it. After living with it, you realize how the subtle inputs smooth out shifting, allow the truck to stay in ECO longer and more often, and provide some 'engine braking' during energy recovery. I'll be interested in seeing what kind of extended brake life I get from the feature as well as saving heat and wear in the transmission. I'm also an IT nerd so I'm interested in this new technology. 48V hybridization is the future.

eTorque is subtle and doesn't hit you between the eyes with its abilities, as by design. I think people that say "It doesn't do anything but stop/start", or "It doesn't help when on the highway", don't understand or can't identify when it's working, as by design.

Since it's covered under a long warranty, I'm not worried about it.

Last edited:

orange01z28

Reaction score
Wow, nitpicking aren't we? Just slightly release the brake pedal (without moving) and the engine will start running. Or, turn start/stop off.
These are all obvious things, but when you live somewhere where it's routinely over 100° it becomes a thing

Gu4c4mole

Reaction score
In my 3300 miles of experience with eTorque, I have definitely noticed an improvement with towing. I have an 8.5x18 cargo trailer and have had it fairly heavy a couple times so far. The eTorque is definitely noticeable compared to my 2013 Hemi. I also notice the change in ac temp occasionally at lights when the engine stops, but about the time I notice it the truck starts back up again anyway (it’s been sunny and in the mid to upper 90’s for a while here). I’m definitely happy with it so far.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
IDK... I get an average of 18-19 MPG here in Chandler-Scottsdale AZ(Mostly flat roads)
I think my eTorque has a lot to contribute when i drive in the city.
I like the smoother drive-train, The excellent Stop&Start and the great MPG.
It's also a conversation piece... People never heard of "Electric motor and batteries" in a truck.
For $200, i'd look for an eTorque, it's worth it.
Hows the eTorque doing for you know? A concern I have here in AZ is the engine shutting down at a stop light in the summer time and the AC not keeping cool. Is that a problem you've ran into at all?

shurik74

Reaction score
big mpg factor is what rear gear ratio you have... best mpg with 3.21, worse with 3.92 from what I've been reading here

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hows the eTorque doing for you know? A concern I have here in AZ is the engine shutting down at a stop light in the summer time and the AC not keeping cool. Is that a problem you've ran into at all?
These trucks have relatively poor AC unless you get a very new one (apparently TSB 24-001-20 is the fix and involves revised HVAC plumbing). Easiest solution is to reduce/kill heater core flow in the hot months (huge thread on this). Yes, eTorque can cause you to feel uncomfortable when the engine shuts off. Solutions? Lower your HVAC temp to reduce/eliminate the engine shutting off since it has to work harder to maintain target temp, or disable start/stop using the button.

Engine-off idle savings are MINISCULE per the figures a RAM engineer gave themselves (something like ~1 ounce of fuel saved per minute... which my math says is about 2 cents per minute). eTorque still provides fuel savings and other benefits without shutting down the engine. If it's hot out, don't sacrifice comfort to save pennies. The system is still great overall and can work in the background in other ways.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These trucks have relatively poor AC unless you get a very new one (apparently TSB 24-001-20 is the fix and involves revised HVAC plumbing). Easiest solution is to reduce/kill heater core flow in the hot months (huge thread on this). Yes, eTorque can cause you to feel uncomfortable when the engine shuts off. Solutions? Lower your HVAC temp to reduce/eliminate the engine shutting off since it has to work harder to maintain target temp, or disable start/stop using the button.

Engine-off idle savings are MINISCULE per the figures a RAM engineer gave themselves (something like ~1 ounce of fuel saved per minute... which my math says is about 2 cents per minute). eTorque still provides fuel savings and other benefits without shutting down the engine. If it's hot out, don't sacrifice comfort to save pennies. The system is still great overall and can work in the background in other ways.
The A/C has performed fine for me on our 2019, but yes—the issue is well documented on here. I agree that it doesn't help things on a 100+ degree day to shut off the compressor.

And yes, the quoted "1.7 oz per 90 seconds" translates to $0.023 per minute, per my latest fuel purchase. I agree that this is a very small price to pay when it's hot out. Even if you were to save 10 minutes of idling due to stop/start every day, you'd only save $90 per year.

You summed it up nicely: "The system is still great overall and can work in the background in other ways."

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/