5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skip e-torque?

redpat2061

Reaction score
Hi I've settled on buying a Ram as my first truck and need some advice; hope this isn't too contentious.

In researching the regular 5.7 or 5.7+etorque, most discussion seems to focus on cost vs. value, but except for that thread on etorque problems, generally speaking, most people seem to be happy with this addition. When most of these threads were started, there was a price difference between the two - today it's a $200 difference which is basically negligible.

I do a lot of long distance driving and I would like to benefit from the extra mpg. But I found a truck that has everything I want except it's just the regular 5.7. Since cost is not a factor: is there a good reason to pass and find another truck with etorque? Conversely, other than technical issues covered in the appropriate thread, is there a good reason that I should accept the lower mpg of the non-etorque setup and buy the 5.7, again, with cost being no factor?

Thanks for your help

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, when I got my truck there were 2 nearly identical, locally available builds for the same MSRP (and thus, the same lease deals) only differences were 1 had ET and the other had the standard Hemi with rear wheel well liners instead. I purposely got the ET just as a 'science experiment' and after a few months I don't see any MPG benefit vs what others report here. If I did it over again I think I'd rather have the wheel well liners, lol. I do like how smoothly the stop/start works and you can tell the electric motor is helping out as you lift your foot off the brake and onto the gas from a stop. If the truck you found has everything you want minus the ET, I'd just go with that. But I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Just don't expect markedly better MPG with ET. Other's experience may vary.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find the system runs smoothly. That said I would probably skip it if I had to do it again. Not enough of a gain in MPG and then if you have an issue after the warrenty expires any savings you got in fuel will likely be gone on repairs to the system.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I've settled on buying a Ram as my first truck and need some advice; hope this isn't too contentious.

In researching the regular 5.7 or 5.7+etorque, most discussion seems to focus on cost vs. value, but except for that thread on etorque problems, generally speaking, most people seem to be happy with this addition. When most of these threads were started, there was a price difference between the two - today it's a $200 difference which is basically negligible.

I do a lot of long distance driving and I would like to benefit from the extra mpg. But I found a truck that has everything I want except it's just the regular 5.7. Since cost is not a factor: is there a good reason to pass and find another truck with etorque? Conversely, other than technical issues covered in the appropriate thread, is there a good reason that I should accept the lower mpg of the non-etorque setup and buy the 5.7, again, with cost being no factor?

Thanks for your help
I really like mine, but I don’t think it would be a deal-breaker to go without it if I found the otherwise-perfect truck.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
IDK... I get an average of 18-19 MPG here in Chandler-Scottsdale AZ(Mostly flat roads)
I think my eTorque has a lot to contribute when i drive in the city.
I like the smoother drive-train, The excellent Stop&Start and the great MPG.
It's also a conversation piece... People never heard of "Electric motor and batteries" in a truck.
For $200, i'd look for an eTorque, it's worth it.

Boston

Reaction score
Long distance drives always say 32gallon tank to me. I like minimal stops. Can’t do that when wife’s with me.
Some ET have only a 23 gallon tank not 26

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I have eTorque and the 33 gallon tank and the stop start is nice in traffic/city driving and it is smooth. But your biggest gain on long trips is going to be using the cruise/adaptive cruise and when the Econ (cylinder deactivation) kicks in IMHO.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
I shopped till I found a truck without e-torq & air susp. The air susp was nifty on my rebel but I never HAD to have it, and tbh my Lhorn w/o it rides better unloaded imo. The only thing I missed was with heavy loads the air levels out, but it started leaking towards end of warranty, several trips to dealer & i vowed for a new ride with time-proven, no nonsense susp.

I took the same approach with Etorq (and the extensive research i did didnt show enuff positives to convince me otherwise)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
You should be fine either way. I think at this point we can all agree that eTorque is pretty reliable.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It doesn't help with MPG on the highway cruising. It gives you start/stop in city traffic, a little smoother torque curve for the first second taking off, and supposedly helps smooth out shifts; but my truck is already buttery smooth without etorque so I'm not sure what they're doing there other than some marketing speak.

One downside (which is why I avoided it) is weight, if you tow or haul it will reduce payload.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Here's a good video on explaining eTorque. I think these are the best video's on what eTorque accomplishes.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you only do highway I would skip it. If you do city driving it definitely helps. Having the truck shut off then smoothly start up is nice. I've had mine stay off for several minutes in city traffic.

That being said the etorque truck will weigh more by almost 100lbs. Something to consider for payload.

ocguy73

Reaction score
Question: Does disabling Start/Stop (using button beside shifter), disable all E Torque functions, since the MGU ( motor generator unit) is not being utilized to electrically propel the struck after a stop? I just want to know if ETorque is functioning at all to help MPG if I turn off start stop. Thanks in advance for help

Bubba33

Reaction score
Long distance drives always say 32gallon tank to me. I like minimal stops. Can’t do that when wife’s with me.
Some ET have only a 23 gallon tank not 26
Which ones only have a 23 gallon tank ?

BigD

Reaction score
I like the etorque. It's the wave of the future. All Chevy & Fords have start/stop as standard equipment. RAM only has it on the etorque models. I average 19 mpg with 5.7 etorque & 3.92 gears. I bet I'd average 21 if I had the 3.21 gears. That's excellent for a full size truck. It's hard to find a Bighorn with etorque. Only 3 on the lot. I noticed almost all the Limited trims have etorque.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Question: Does disabling Start/Stop (using button beside shifter), disable all E Torque functions, since the MGU ( motor generator unit) is not being utilized to electrically propel the struck after a stop? I just want to know if ETorque is functioning at all to help MPG if I turn off start stop. Thanks in advance for help
Logically, it can’t be “fully disabled”, as it generates electricity for various vehicle systems (including ignition) and is driven from the crank. Aside from a user disabling stop/start manually or by engaging tow/haul mode, I’m unaware of any changes that can be made to the system behavior.

beemerb0y

Reaction score
I test drove both 5.7 varriants back to back and didnt feel any difference. The truck I like has the e-torque, I dont mind the extra $200, but I'm just worried that it's something extra that can break, need servicing, or maybe even hinder resale down the line.. thoughts?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I test drove both 5.7 varriants back to back and didnt feel any difference. The truck I like has the e-torque, I dont mind the extra $200, but I'm just worried that it's something extra that can break, need servicing, or maybe even hinder resale down the line.. thoughts?
8 year / 80,000 mile emissions warranty covers it longer than the rest of your powertrain ;)

Users who are viewing this thread