5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Siriusxm renewal

RossoWheelson

Reaction score
I am constantly dickering with them for the extended family fleet of 5 vehicles. We all like it but have varying degrees of subscription for each vehicle. A couple are a flat $6 a month for select package.

The sound quality for the Sat has improved immensely over the years. Not to HD standards but I have a 2009 with Sat that can match the RAM HD sound with CD but when you compare 2009 Sat sound with 2021 Sat sound it is night and day. RAM must have some post signal processing that accentuates the sound and lessens the “listening through a tin can effect” that Sat always had.

One thing that has improved with the dickering is that you can do it all with chat for now. Used to be it was all phone negotiating once you got through. You got passed around a few times to get the best deal. I say “for now” because they have gone back and forth over the years on what the chat agents can do. They started out offering the same deals as phone reps but then a year later could not do much more than the website packages. They are back to having full deal making capabilities like the phone reps.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How ya pay for a full year? When I renewed at 5.99 per month, just bills my card every month.
I call customer service, threaten to cancel, then negotiate for Select for $60 for a year, then tell them I want to pay for the full year.

I get the SXM Select package which is the one below the All Access. I miss out on a couple of channels I'd listen to but it's not worth the price bump for me.

You can get the Select package for $60 for a year (with taxes and fees it comes to $72).

you can get the All Access package for $99 for a year (with taxes and fees that's around $124 I think).

Those prices are pretty easy to get as those are the introductory prices for new customers. A couple of back-and-forths with "I'm going to cancel" and you can get those prices.

As for the $149/3 years unicorn I have not heard of that. SXM has only talked annual renewals with me. That gives them a chance to get you for full price if you forget to negotiate the renewal. I set a calendar reminder for the week before expiration so that I call them and renew for the deal again.

Nova90

Reaction score
You can get the Select package for $60 for a year (with taxes and fees it comes to $72).
Just did this via the chat last week for my wife's Explorer Sport. It's basically a game you play with them every year. Turn down initial offers and get this deal. Chat makes it so much easier, they didn't even try the higher offer initially.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They have the dumbest business model I’ve ever seen. Jump through hoops to speak or chat with foreign sales personnel...

They could save money by eliminating the foreign personnel, changing their website to have one low price for all that you would sign up and pay for on your own. Sirius would make it up in volume as well as not paying overseas salaries to play the game.

U

User_3336

I call customer service, threaten to cancel, then negotiate for Select for $60 for a year, then tell them I want to pay for the full year.

I get the SXM Select package which is the one below the All Access. I miss out on a couple of channels I'd listen to but it's not worth the price bump for me.

you can get the All Access package for $99 for a year (with taxes and fees that's around $124 I think).

Those prices are pretty easy to get as those are the introductory prices for new customers. A couple of back-and-forths with "I'm going to cancel" and you can get those prices.

As for the $149/3 years unicorn I have not heard of that. SXM has only talked annual renewals with me. That gives them a chance to get you for full price if you forget to negotiate the renewal. I set a calendar reminder for the week before expiration so that I call them and renew for the deal again.
$5 for 12 months is $60 that offer comes in email all the time. Its not an offer you gotta beg for or threaten to cancel to get........

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$5 for 12 months is $60 that offer comes in email all the time. Its not an offer you gotta beg for or threaten to cancel to get........
I usually have to tell them 3 or 4 times that I want that deal or I'm canceling before they finally give in. Some try harder than others to hold out for you to pay more.

I also prefer the single payment. I'd rather pay my $70+ and be done with it for the year than have $5 and change coming out every month.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get $5/month ($60 per year) offers all the time. Only thing I don't like and that has precluded me from signing up is that they only will accept a credit card. Of course that is a ploy on their part as they are planning on you forgetting to cancel. Hate all their games......
You can have them bill you and when you pay you select one time payment. I absolutely never give them a credit card for autorenewal and have been with them and 'renewing' since 2015 in 2 vehicles. I always get billed - and I mention I can get music anywhere today. Here's what I want - it usually works - but they always bill me.

U

User_3336

You can have them bill you and when you pay you select one time payment. I absolutely never give them a credit card for autorenewal and have been with them and 'renewing' since 2015 in 2 vehicles. I always get billed - and I mention I can get music anywhere today. Here's what I want - it usually works - but they always bill me.
There's an extra fee for that as well.

CharlieP

Reaction score
Just an FYI If you ever purchased a Lifetime subscription it is good for any vehicle you own as long as your alive. I purchased a Lifetime in 2008 on my Chevy Silverado for $400 and now use it on my 2019 Ram Laramie

1D32319

Reaction score
How is the sound quality using those apps? I did join my daughters Spotify family plan and have tried it in the truck a few times, seems to sound better than SiriusXM.

I use Pandora. Sound quality is fine, but requires cell phone coverage which is something of a luxury where I live.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use Pandora. Sound quality is fine, but requires cell phone coverage which is something of a luxury where I live.
I do as well but I run into issues with connectivity as well since I off-road.

Not only do I get SXM off the beaten path in the hills or desert, but no matter how far I drive my SXM radio stations don't change.

I've spent more than my share of time (as I'm sure many of you have) either swapping cassettes on a road trip or having to scan the radio stations with a manual dial every hour to try and find a radio station you liked. Even then you had to frequently wiggle the dial to try and tune in the station as best as possible so that the music was louder than the static.

Also, thank you for your service. (y) 🇺🇸

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not only do I get SXM off the beaten path in the hills or desert, but no matter how far I drive my SXM radio stations don't change.

I've spent more than my share of time (as I'm sure many of you have) either swapping cassettes on a road trip or having to scan the radio stations with a manual dial every hour to try and find a radio station you liked. Even then you had to frequently wiggle the dial to try and tune in the station as best as possible so that the music was louder than the static.

Also, thank you for your service. (y) 🇺🇸
Ha! I bet 50% or more of our readers here have no idea what you're talking about (but I do!). I guarantee most of the people that like Sirius are old(er) bastards like us. I personally find streaming a pain in the ***. I do it with Kindle or Stitcher if I'm listening to a podcast, but as far as music? I'd rather just pay for the Sirius and have it on there.

And like everyone else here I pay about $100/year after taxes and everything are figured in. I pay for the year and I set a reminder in my phone a week before it's going to renew to call up and cancel or get the same deal.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to cancel them twice after I renewed with my credit card. I got the cancellation notice and they cancelled my music subscription but kept charging me more for the guardian services. I filed a disputed charge with my CC company and they removed all of the charges but then Sirius called me and said I am going to lose my Guardian services if I don't update the expiration date on my CC. I called and cancelled it again but the guy on the phone said that he had to delete my information out of their system for it to stop charging me the $24.99 per month. What a scam!!

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Also, thank you for your service. (y)

Mix tapes! :p

If I'm traveling out of state, it's sometimes neat to hear a local DJ, but also much less common than it was. I like SiriusXM , but really only listen to probably 5 or 6 stations on any sort of regular basis. CNBC, ESPN (some,) 80s on 8, and some country stations. When they do the Billy Joel channel, I listen to it.

Steveinmd

Reaction score
I just received a mail offer for $5 a month for one year on the select plan. Might be because my free year is ending soon.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

If I'm traveling out of state, it's sometimes neat to hear a local DJ, but also much less common than it was. I like SiriusXM , but really only listen to probably 5 or 6 stations on any sort of regular basis. CNBC, ESPN (some,) 80s on 8, and some country stations. When they do the Billy Joel channel, I listen to it.
I only listen to a handful of SMX stations as well. There's a half-dozen I have on my presets then I can cycle up/down a couple of stations in case one of the other ones in that genre have a good song on.

I do miss the old DJs compared to today, they were a lot more fun to listen to. The ones nowadays seem to cater to the younger crowd (that I haven't been a part of for....awhile) so I prefer to just have minimal talk and more music. Plus with SXM they don't talk over the leader to a song until just before the vocals start.

I just received a mail offer for $5 a month for one year on the select plan. Might be because my free year is ending soon.
Most likely. My wife's trial is almost up for her Ranger and just got one of those too. They play softball with you until you pay for the subscription then they switch to fast pitch. Not that much harder but they bank on you forgetting when your subscription ends so they can charge you full price before you notice.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I like this as well but local DJs that actually build their play lists are as rare as hen's teeth. I like Sirius but I would trade it in a second to go back to the way radio was in the 70's, with a strong local flavor, interesting DJs and always the possibility of hearing things that you'd never otherwise hear.

I listen to about half a dozen stations with regularity too, and I probably remember their channel numbers: 23 (Dead), 20 (Springsteen), 19 (Marley), 24 (Buffet), 25/26 (Rewind/Vinyl), 18 (Beatles), 71 (Sinatra), 73 (40's). OK, that's 9 but I'd say 75% 23 and mix up the rest. I figure if radio overall is going to suck, with computerized playlists and no DJs, I might as well just skip the commercials and go straight to the music I want to hear. And one feature I found that I really like is: if you hit a station as a "favorite" (I think you only get to do this with 6 of them), when you change stations it will start the song that is playing on that station from the beginning. For the first few months when I had my truck I found it odd (and nice) that every time I changed stations I just so happen to hit it when a song was starting. Then I read the manual and figured out it was a feature of the truck, not just dumb luck :D

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And one feature I found that I really like is: if you hit a station as a "favorite" (I think you only get to do this with 6 of them), when you change stations it will start the song that is playing on that station from the beginning. For the first few months when I had my truck I found it odd (and nice) that every time I changed stations I just so happen to hit it when a song was starting. Then I read the manual and figured out it was a feature of the truck, not just dumb luck :D
I like it as well. As long as you're not most of the way through the song it will start at the beginning when you select it from your Favorites. I know that the 12" has fewer Favorites you can set but I think my 8.4" can have as many as 45-ish Favorites (song or artist).

It's a setting for SXM. You can turn it on or off.

Grouper

Reaction score
The subscription that came with my 2021 when new is about to expire. I barley listen to it so I really don't care whether I have it but I texted customer care to see what they would offer. Earlier this summer, I had paid a couple of dollars for a three month trial of "Platinum" service. I don't even remember what the Platinum level gave me above the standard subscription that came with the truck. Maybe it was streaming capability?

Regardless, I was surprised that they let me walk away so quickly. They offered, "you are eligible to get services at just $4.99 plus fees and taxes per month for a year. Would that be okay?" I said no thanks and they replied, "okay, I have gone ahead and canceled your subscription."

This is my first time dealing with SiriusXM. I assume they will start sending offeres to get me to resubscribe. I guess if it's cheap enough, I'll consider doing so, but I really don't care one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread